Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

350z In The Snow

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2006, 09:46 AM
angelico

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yea I dont think the snow on the road is really my issue its getting back up my steep drive way to my condo
Old 03-02-2006, 09:49 AM
jmagilto

Hey Clapton - I am outside NE Philly and its pretty strange. Streets and asphalt driveways seem ok - but the bricks on my walk and side walks you could literally do triple axles on with a good pair of skates.

I hope its warming up and not cooling down - otherwise my woman - and about 2 million other people are gonna be stuck wherever they are for a while......
Old 03-02-2006, 09:56 AM
june

Originally Posted by jmagilto
I have blizzaks and can get around anywhere just fine. LSD in the back helps. I would not recomend driving in the snow on the summer tires however. You can get stuck in 1in of snow on a level surface with that setup.

Take Care and Drive Safe
jer

PS. I also drive my showroom condition 65mustang in the snow. I have for the last 25 years. Track-Lok and Snow tires. Its great!
Cars are meant to be driven. (you just have to remember wash off the salt)
I'm sorry...I don't agree altogether. My boyfriend is the pres. of a classic car club. He has several cc's. I go to the meets myself. I also own a classic (sitting in a garage 10 miles from here) My bo will be stopping by this afternoon with his 4x4 pickup and plow (all one needs to showoff with in this kind of weather)...but then again, I would love to try a little sledding.
Old 03-02-2006, 10:02 AM
3kgt48

Default Snow :(

I live in canada and this is the first year I bought my car and It's my first RWD CAR EVER. I bought it as a daily driver and I was lucky that the real winter just started this week and we have **** loads of sNOw. I have Blizzak winter tire on and I drive the car to school and back which is about 40min of driving each way.

The high ways are ok because they clean them off but if you are not patient and rev the engine too much or let go of you clutch too fast the car will go out of control and you have to get use to turing really slow and try to shift to 4th or 5th so you don't spin the tires. I think it's impossible to drive with the stock tires in this weather!!!!

But I'm planning on buying a crappy front wheel drive car(one of those turbo NEONS if I can afford one would be nice) for winters because even though the Z can be driven in snow I hate to see her in the snow specially mine because it's a ZR . ****TY WEAther here can't wait till summer/spring to see what it really feels like to go 100+mph with the top down!!!! You guys that live in the states should be thankful that you have decent weather.
Old 03-02-2006, 10:27 AM
bearhunt

snow, so what, I'm another canuck who loves to drive my Z, I put the blizzacks on in Nov and will be taking them off in April. It's my daily driver and I do about 60 miles mixed driving. Yes, only drive it if you got great tires, all seasons don't cut it. LSD, VDC both help and so does short shifting. Other than that have fun, experiment with the traction issues where it's safe.
What I really love is the rooster tail that shows up at 120k with that 1/2 inch of snow.
Old 03-02-2006, 10:32 AM
iknowitsfast

ugh last month i found out first hand just how bad the Z can be in 1 inch of snow....without a doubt, do NOT chance unless the Z is fully prepared with snow shoes!
Old 03-02-2006, 10:33 AM
june

Default Snow:(

This is the last car I want to be driven in:
Attachment 98116
It is not a Z. It is a Buick. LOL It is the only way I will ever take a ride in a Buick (aww-yuck!). Although I love my Z, there are places it is not meant to travel.

Good luck you guys. If you need to drive your Z's in the snow, and you feel a little blessed, and enough that will keep you out of harm's way, then I hope that fuzzy ray of sunshine will always follow your path.

Attachment 98117
Attachment 98118

Last edited by june; 03-02-2006 at 10:41 AM.
Old 03-02-2006, 11:26 AM
maxpowers

The Z drives great in the winter with snow tires. I'm another ZR owner north of the border and I love this car in the snow!.

Once you get used to it being RWD - it is a very safe car.
Old 03-02-2006, 11:35 AM
bamyi

Ok, another 350 vs Snow thread. They should just make the orignal one a sticky so that we don't have to deal with it every month.

Anyways, my advice is to get snow tires, (do a search on snow tires) I use the Contiental X-treme contact and drive slowly. Many people on this forum drive in snow as do I.

As for driving up hill, try to avoid it but if you have to here's what you do:

Wait for traffic to clear if you can (try to be the only one on the road)
Start in 2nd gear
Start at a slow speed
keep moving in a straight line if possible
If you have to acclerate, do it very slowly
ALWAYS keep the momentume going forward, once you lose this forward momentume you will start to slide.
Avoid braking, if you have to slow down, just release the gas. (Heavy breaking or accleration will cause traction lose)

Another note: Others have a found it useful to turn off the VDC and start in 2nd gear. This helps with the inital start up, but once the car is moving, activate the VDC again.
Old 03-02-2006, 11:36 AM
pj550v12

Angelico, I got stuck driving in the snow today in CT. Thought I was going to die on I91. The 19 inch toyo t1-s were like ice skates. I had planned on picking my truck up last night so I wouldn't get stuck driving in the snow but low and behold I did. If the potenzas are as bad as the toyos are in the snow, I would HIGHLY advise against it.
Old 03-02-2006, 12:06 PM
dchi_t

i learned the hard way, i live in s.cal and the Z is my only car so i have to drive it everywhere, we went snowboard up in big bear 2 weeks ago during the rain so the roads were snow coverd and the sun spots had ice.

i have an 03' base w/o LSD and with stock tires....oh so much fun it was. 'fortunatly' nothing happened. i learned a valuable lesson, and on the brighter side, learned my car's capabilities and proper rev matching and all the good stuff. they actually enforced chains for all cars, so that helped alot, even though i had snowchains on the rears, i was still slipping around the roads, but eventually you discover that theres an extremely thin line between having traction and slippage at certain RPMs. and you'll learn that pretty quick w/ the pressure is on and the car is slipping left and right. good luck to you,

i would recommend at least trying it on an open parking lot or something where nothing is around to hit, learn your car's reaction and limits of driving in the snow, so next time if needed, you're experienced. Good Luck
Old 03-02-2006, 12:46 PM
Laserslave

I've got a nice pair of snows for my Z. I haven't owned anything other than rear wheel drive so I dont know 4x4's or FWD cars very well. But the Z did alright in the snow, just keep the rev's low and stick to 2nd, 4th and 6th, the other gears just arent nessasary and provide too much torque. My two cents.
Old 03-02-2006, 01:28 PM
june

Originally Posted by pj550v12
Angelico, I got stuck driving in the snow today in CT. Thought I was going to die on I91. The 19 inch toyo t1-s were like ice skates. I had planned on picking my truck up last night so I wouldn't get stuck driving in the snow but low and behold I did. If the potenzas are as bad as the toyos are in the snow, I would HIGHLY advise against it.
You better be careful...we were supposed to meet some day.

Btw: I talked to Jameira. She will be going to the May 13 meet, and will likely bring along her girlfriend. I'll be going up with my BF and will likely spend the night on Sat. I hope to meet up with the caravan coming from the south.
Old 03-02-2006, 01:34 PM
bradte20

i have some Bridgestone Potenza all seasons and have driven in about 2-3 inches of snow with minimal problems. Only downside is the tires are lound and they don't exactly stick like summer tires. I will say that from my experience, VDC is best left off while driving in the snow. It may keep you from sliding sideways,( minimal throttle inputs will do this as well, but VDC works great for emergency manuvers) but makes starting out a pain. Any decent amount of wheel slip and bam, no more throttle. Sometimes you need a little more gas than it allows to get you on your way. Guess you could always turn in back on when you're moving.
Old 03-02-2006, 02:16 PM
dchi_t

i hear Avon MS550 tires are excellent all season tires, i hear from my friend that owns a WRX that alot of ppl on the suby forums recommend it, and its cheap too! i think i might go with those as my next set
Old 03-02-2006, 02:58 PM
97supratt

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by davidv
350Z + snow = hello telephone pole!
You took the words right outta my mouth. They should have a warning sticker on the Z for this purpose. **Danger do not drive in icy or wet conditions**
Old 03-02-2006, 03:38 PM
locksmith

If you got snow tires, dont worry about it, you'll be fine.... if you're a good driver that is, otherwise its pretty unsafe.
Old 03-02-2006, 04:06 PM
KwanZito

I find the Z handles well enough (white nuckles or not) in the snow, it's just getting it moving that's a problem. If i could get to where I'm going without having to stop and start again, i'd have no problem.

As for today's snow storm.....i couldnt get it out of the parking space at the office, had to call for a ride home (the parking space is on a slight incline towards the road = hopeless).
Old 03-02-2006, 06:07 PM
NA350Z

I got home ok, but it took me 2x as long, had to pull off in 2nd gear nearly every time. One time I had to reverse and couldnt the damn thing wouldnt go lol, so I just kept driving straight and went around the block instead. Im getting a beater for next winter, i love my car too much to compromise and get an STI/EVO just for performance/practicality ( us here in Northeast know what Im talking about). Hopefully we dont get another snow.
Old 03-02-2006, 06:12 PM
04_CS_Z33

I'm on Blizzak MZ-03's. No problems. Very stable. No LSD, TCS, nothing.

Quick Reply: 350z In The Snow