Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

350z In The Snow

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2006, 06:12 PM
NA350Z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Oh another thing, like most guys that drive stick, when among other guys, me and my brother are pretty cocky. . .so I pulled into my driveway, and tried to reverse a little to straighten out a bit, BIG NEGATIVE, like I said before the thing just refuse, my driveway is a a 2-3 degree decline. So i came into my house, and my brother said you loser, I saw you trying to reverse, you cant drive your own car. I got so mad, I put a benjamin on the table and told him if he can do it within 30 seconds Id give it to him in front of my mom and his girlfriend. Needless to say the guy ran out and tried. His girlfriend watched him for those 30 seconds laughing away. I kept my money and laughed too. My TOYO T1S are excellent on dry pavement, but on ice, they're pretty much obosolete. For those wod dont know, the 350Z puts down about 280 lb ft of torque between 2-3K RPM, which is why this thing is so undriveable in the ice, it develops too much power too early for this weather. But I love my car still.
Old 03-03-2006, 07:41 AM
3kgt48

Originally Posted by bearhunt
snow, so what, I'm another canuck who loves to drive my Z, I put the blizzacks on in Nov and will be taking them off in April. It's my daily driver and I do about 60 miles mixed driving. Yes, only drive it if you got great tires, all seasons don't cut it. LSD, VDC both help and so does short shifting. Other than that have fun, experiment with the traction issues where it's safe.
What I really love is the rooster tail that shows up at 120k with that 1/2 inch of snow.

Are you from Calgary??? I used to live there last year GREAT CITY COmpare to EDmonton man. do you have any mods on you car yet and wats ur color?
Old 03-05-2006, 05:56 PM
jdmzed33

Originally Posted by angelico
Hey quick question for those out there daring enough to drive the 350 in the snow. I have my jeep in the show today and its snowing up in Connecticut. Would anyone chance driving into work right now its got maybe 1/4" on the ground just enough to dust over but they are saying 2-4 Inches?

Will the 350 drive at all and will I be able to get up a hill back up into my complex? What does everyone think?
Don't you mean 350z stuck in the snow.
Old 03-05-2006, 07:09 PM
Sin

Dude Chicago here:

These cars in the snow are lethal, I've spun out in the middle of the expressway and it didn't even start to snow yet it was just the cold... These cars are vicious in the winter just be careful.
Old 03-05-2006, 07:37 PM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Sin

These cars in the snow are lethal.
350Z owners who have been driving other cars in the snow will tell you some sort of BS like

You need experience driving in the show or just be careful.

Then they smash their car into a guardrail.
Old 03-06-2006, 03:23 AM
june

Originally Posted by davidv
350Z owners who have been driving other cars in the snow will tell you some sort of BS like

You need experience driving in the show or just be careful.

Then they smash their car into a guardrail.
I am really glad that some of you guys are speaking out. The Z is not an all weather car, and sooner or later those who think it is will swallow their pride and realize it isn't. I have driven more cars and have been in more treacherous situations than most any of you. Over-confidence is the worst attitude a person can have when driving. If that is what it takes to drive the Z in bad conditions, then I'm sorry to say, that does not compensate for disaster. It's bad weight displacement and the high torque (my stock 35th can easily hold a redline in 1st gear at 20 mph on dry pavement, and get there without popping the clutch-sheesh!!) are enough to give a good driver a clue that it just isn't a bad weather vehicle.

June

Last edited by june; 03-06-2006 at 03:55 AM.
Old 03-06-2006, 07:12 AM
BriGuyMax
Turbo Whore

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by june
I am really glad that some of you guys are speaking out. The Z is not an all weather car, and sooner or later those who think it is will swallow their pride and realize it isn't. I have driven more cars and have been in more treacherous situations than most any of you. Over-confidence is the worst attitude a person can have when driving. If that is what it takes to drive the Z in bad conditions, then I'm sorry to say, that does not compensate for disaster. It's bad weight displacement and the high torque (my stock 35th can easily hold a redline in 1st gear at 20 mph on dry pavement, and get there without popping the clutch-sheesh!!) are enough to give a good driver a clue that it just isn't a bad weather vehicle.

June

You couldn't be more wrong. It's all in the tires. Stick summer tires on a Jeep Grand Cherokee and watch it slide into that same telephone pole. I drove my Z through 2 snow filled chicago winters on Dunlop M3 snow tires and it was better than any vehicle that I'd previously owned. The combination of the fantastic ABS and VDC systems on the Z make it basically idiot proof with a GOOD set of snow tires. My Z could turn and stop much better than my old 98 Jeep Cherokee in the snow. Hell, one night two years ago it snowed 9 inches and the Z trucked right through without a hitch while other cars were getting stuck and sliding into ditches.

Although my Z will never see rain or snow again since I have a daily driver now. Not because it can't handle inclement conditions, but simply because the wear and tear put on the car by the winter weather and salt isn't worth it to me. I want to keep my baby nice.

Do yourself a favor and actually drive a 350Z in the snow with some snow tires before you comment on it's abilities.
Old 03-06-2006, 09:18 AM
june

Originally Posted by BriGuyMax
You couldn't be more wrong. It's all in the tires. Stick summer tires on a Jeep Grand Cherokee and watch it slide into that same telephone pole. I drove my Z through 2 snow filled chicago winters on Dunlop M3 snow tires and it was better than any vehicle that I'd previously owned. The combination of the fantastic ABS and VDC systems on the Z make it basically idiot proof with a GOOD set of snow tires. My Z could turn and stop much better than my old 98 Jeep Cherokee in the snow. Hell, one night two years ago it snowed 9 inches and the Z trucked right through without a hitch while other cars were getting stuck and sliding into ditches.

Although my Z will never see rain or snow again since I have a daily driver now. Not because it can't handle inclement conditions, but simply because the wear and tear put on the car by the winter weather and salt isn't worth it to me. I want to keep my baby nice.

Do yourself a favor and actually drive a 350Z in the snow with some snow tires before you comment on it's abilities.
At all costs, I would avoid driving it in the snow, so snow tires would be a waste of money for me. I don't mean to argue the point, but I don't know how you can compare the Z with a 4WD in snow, but if I am wrong questioning you, then my bad. I also drive a FWD Altima and a RWD Benz with the same basic tread designs. The Z would not even be able to keep up with them on snow. Putting snow tires on a 350Z (to me), is like mating mountain climbing boots with a wedding dress.

kisses,

June
Old 03-06-2006, 10:50 AM
BriGuyMax
Turbo Whore

At all costs, I would avoid driving it in the snow, so snow tires would be a waste of money for me. I don't mean to argue the point, but I don't know how you can compare the Z with a 4WD in snow, but if I am wrong questioning you, then my bad.
I clearly stated that the Z turned better and braked better than my Jeep Cherokee in the snow. What does 4WD have to do with turning and braking? Furthermore, the Z got going just fine in the snow, which is why I never got stuck. Obviously it's not as good as a 4WD vehicle, but that should even have to be stated. No 2WD vehicle will accelerate like a 4WD vehicle in a low traction situation.

I also drive a FWD Altima and a RWD Benz with the same basic tread designs. The Z would not even be able to keep up with them on snow.
You are making a BIG assumption here. You have absolutely no idea how a Z (properly tire'd) would do in a straight line in the snow against the two cars you drive. The best part about it is you have absolutely NO practical experience with a 350Z in the snow, yet you speak about it like you are an expert.

Putting snow tires on a 350Z (to me), is like mating mountain climbing boots with a wedding dress.

kisses,

June
Great, everyone on here should take "YOUR" baseless opinion with a grain of salt since as stated before, it's based on NO PRACTICAL EXPERIENCE.

Kisses right back at ya hot shot....
Old 03-06-2006, 10:54 AM
DumbGenius

Been driving it in winter since 03, with good tires, it is better than my pathfinder with poor tires. My wife drives the pathy and I drive the Z all year.

If you don't drive in winter here, you may as well not buy it here. The winter here is almost as long as the non winter months. Unless there is more than an inch of fresh snow, it drives great.

You see driving in winter is tire grip(to get going) and stop. If you have a good set of winter tires, the Z gives you both, much better than most cars/SUVs on the road. It also has stability control and LSD, both help. Weight distribution for the Z, when trying to stop is much better than most SUVs.

4WD is bad since most of it would have the grip transfer to get going, but the brake on these SUVs are bad as well as a lot heavier, compare to the Z anyway. The only good thing about them is, when it crashes, it has a bigger mass and can transfer its momentum to the smaller vehicle that it crashes with.

Ask someone in a northern region to comment would likely get you a more realistic answer when compare to someone in a once-a-year snow region's response. But then again, getting used to drive in the winter conditions is also a pre-requisite.

Get a good set of snow tire and learn how to control you pedal would get you anywhere the roads are plowed.
Old 03-06-2006, 11:02 AM
june

Well, to start off sweetie...you are obviously a jerk, so I am not going to quote you. You are *only 25 years old* and already you know all. I'm amazed. I bow to your Majesty. Just take it easy with your astounding confidence, it may also play you for a fool, added on to already being a jerk. You win...I'm gone.

take care..........

I clearly stated that the Z turned better and braked better than my Jeep Cherokee in the snow. What does 4WD have to do with turning and braking? Furthermore, the Z got going just fine in the snow, which is why I never got stuck. Obviously it's not as good as a 4WD vehicle, but that should even have to be stated. No 2WD vehicle will accelerate like a 4WD vehicle in a low traction situation.

You are making a BIG assumption here. You have absolutely no idea how a Z (properly tire'd) would do in a straight line in the snow against the two cars you drive. The best part about it is you have absolutely NO practical experience with a 350Z in the snow, yet you speak about it like you are an expert.

Great, everyone on here should take "YOUR" baseless opinion with a grain of salt since as stated before, it's based on NO PRACTICAL EXPERIENCE.

Kisses right back at ya hot shot....
Old 03-06-2006, 11:05 AM
eckocomplexg

I'm gonna agree with briguymax here... with a decent set of winter tires you can get around if you had to... i have my stockers for the winter, just yesterday we got a couple of inches but my car pulled it off w/o a hitch... you can't expect the car to handle the same as if it were dry out.. but then again that SHOULD be common sense... unfortunately not everyone uses their "common sense"
Old 03-06-2006, 11:06 AM
BriGuyMax
Turbo Whore

Well, to start off sweetie...you are obviously a jerk, so I am not going to quote you. You are *only 25 years old* and already you know all. I'm amazed. I bow to your Majesty. Just take it easy with your astounding confidence, it may also play you for a fool, added on to already being a jerk. You win...I'm gone.

take care..........
Jealousy is a stinky cologne......
Old 03-06-2006, 11:19 AM
june

Originally Posted by eckocomplexg
I'm gonna agree with briguymax here... with a decent set of winter tires you can get around if you had to... i have my stockers for the winter, just yesterday we got a couple of inches but my car pulled it off w/o a hitch... you can't expect the car to handle the same as if it were dry out.. but then again that SHOULD be common sense... unfortunately not everyone uses their "common sense"
Now they're all ganging-up on me.

j

ps. but you are right... women are the only ones with common sense...so you guys are automatically forgiven.

Last edited by june; 03-06-2006 at 11:22 AM.
Old 03-07-2006, 01:15 AM
FrankieZZ

Hey BriGuyMax ,

Lighten up . You're going to have a stroke and then all you'll be driving is a wheelchair .
Old 03-07-2006, 03:42 AM
june

Originally Posted by FrankieZZ
Hey BriGuyMax ,

Lighten up . You're going to have a stroke and then all you'll be driving is a wheelchair .

Watch out for that lady with the evvvver-so-slightly gray roots...she owes you.

Old 03-07-2006, 06:45 AM
BriGuyMax
Turbo Whore

Originally Posted by FrankieZZ
Hey BriGuyMax ,

yuk yuk yuk....that's a good one cletus....
Old 03-07-2006, 07:53 AM
june

BriGuyMax,

You just confirmed how much of a jerk you are. FrankieZZ was not insulting you, and neither was I.

Grow up
Old 03-07-2006, 04:24 PM
BriGuyMax
Turbo Whore

BriGuyMax,

You just confirmed how much of a jerk you are. FrankieZZ was not insulting you, and neither was I.

Grow up

1. I thought you were done with me.

2. I wasn't insulting him.

3. You clearly insulted me 8 posts ago by saying this:

take care..........
I guess calling someone a jerk, poking fun at their age and pulling the old "you think you know everthing" card isn't insulting.
Old 03-08-2006, 06:53 AM
june

1. I thought you were done with me.

2. I wasn't insulting him.

3. You clearly insulted me 8 posts ago by saying this:

I guess calling someone a jerk, poking fun at their age and pulling the old "you think you know everthing" card isn't insulting.
I am sorry that you don't see it Brian. What is meant by "cletus"? (does it not mean s**thead?) What is meant by this: "Kisses right back at ya hot shot (flashing smiley)"

I don't have your eyes, nor your sensibilities...I only have my own. Aside from both of us stating our firm opinions and going at it a bit, I wouldn't wish you any less than the best of everything, including a happy and long life. Please don't take what I say too much to heart...other than when I'm speaking from it.

btw. I liked your Maxima pix. Before he passed on, my Dad had a loaded '95 that he totalled with only 7k on it. eeks! It was a beautiful car. I bought my son a '91 when was 16, and helped him finance his '00 a few years ago. He is now 28. I hope you can now see my concern. I am not heartless, so please accept my apology if you believe I crossed over lines that I shouldn't have.

take care....

June