Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

why do people compare auto z vs. manual (not a war)

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2007, 10:55 AM
marques1

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Default why do people compare auto z vs. manual (not a war)

Ok i don't understand why people always compare the manual and auto z in straight line performance they are not the same stock and i think people forget this. When your comparing the same car you must have the same parts present in the car to get a good comparison well other than the manual and auto tranny. These are the differences in the two cars.

The auto has taller gearing than the manual correct me if im wrong which effects acceleration sometime pretty dramatically. Another thing is that auto z's throttle body does not open fully of a launch which reduces the air intake into the engine unlike the manual.

So if the auto puts the same gearing as the manual and gets retuned so that the throttle body will open up fully then you have a equal race. According to my speculation i believe if they were setup exactly alike the auto z would win in straight line performance. But before you go calling me a auto lover i drive both manual and auto and have each transmission type and i love both for their different characteristics. This is the reason for my conclusion i took the best times for both manual and auto 1/4 mile times for 03-06 which i will post below. The fastest time is a base model one of the lightest z's availiable and 2nd fastest being a auto which is a touring one of the heaviest models available. Keep in mind the first place 1/4 mile time goes to a manual z which is held by
(1)Veetec --------------------------04 Base 6spd 13.640@102.42mph 1.983 60ft Verified

(2)DomZ --------------------------- 03 Tour Auto 13.667@101.57mph 1.996 60ft Verified

Now with the difference in effect these times are extremely close. Now can please someone explain to me why you compare the auto vs a manual when you are not racing the same car and you bash auto's eventhough they have comparable times with a good disadvantage when running the 1/4 mile thanks.
Old 09-20-2007, 10:58 AM
phreaktor
Design Engineer

Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts

R
Old 09-20-2007, 10:58 AM
Tubbs

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

because people are stupid.
Old 09-20-2007, 11:02 AM
marques1

how is this a repost phreaktor i know people ask what is faster manual or auto that is not what im asking. Im asking how come you try to compare to cars with different parts that will effect 1/4 times and im not talking about the tranny either. A auto has a huge disadvantage but yet is very comparable to manual 1/4 mile times show me where this has been posted please. Im trying to use reason in this situation but i guess i should be like everyone else i just follow the crowd manual rules and auto sucks because its auto lol.
Old 09-20-2007, 11:10 AM
Rexy7

autos do not belong on a sports car, it really takes out the enjoyment of driving a sports car. Thats why its called a "sports car" because you have to work at it to get the car moving.
Old 09-20-2007, 11:16 AM
marques1

okay rexy7 i get your point but that is not what im asking. Im asking how come you compare the 2 cars in straight line performance eventhought they have different parts as i mentioned above other than the tranny.
Everyone says the auto's are slow but as you can see above they run almost identical times with less hp to the wheels, throttle body not opening up on launches, and taller gearing.
Thats like a auto driver saying lets take our governers off and see who can hit the highest speed the auto driver will win because of higher gearing it not even fair but somehow the auto has similiar 1/4 mile times.
Old 09-20-2007, 11:18 AM
RBlover69

Well technically u would hard pressed to say thoseare consistant times first of all. And though a auto is more consistant , i have seen more auto times be consistantly slower then 6mt times. But this is with every car now preety much.
I havent road raced in a while, but i will say that theres nothing more horrid on a course then a auto. Other then that , i dont see why hate on the autos , it serves its purpose. Nothing better then having a auto in heavy traffic.
Old 09-20-2007, 11:18 AM
marques1

i notice that people are very bias when it comes to manual vs auto. The only anwer i get from every manual owner is well its not a sports car if its auto but no type of facts to answer any of my questions. I love manual and auto is okay but how do you say a sports car has to have manual when almost all dragsters are auto unless you dont consider them sports cars. If you were in that powerful of a car you couldn't change gears fast enough even if you wanted it manual so their is a place for auto's in this world.
Old 09-20-2007, 11:19 AM
Tubbs

Originally Posted by marques1
okay rexy7 i get your point but that is not what im asking. Im asking how come you compare the 2 cars in straight line performance eventhought they have different parts as i mentioned above other than the tranny.
Everyone says the auto's are slow but as you can see above they run almost identical times with less hp to the wheels, throttle body not opening up on launches, and taller gearing.
Thats like a auto driver saying lets take our governers off and see who can hit the highest speed the auto driver will win because of higher gearing it not even fair but somehow the auto has similiar 1/4 mile times.

I'll let you in on a secret... actually autos are good in drag races. If you compare them on a road course (where sports cars belong) the differences begin to appear.
Old 09-20-2007, 11:19 AM
marques1

rblover69 yes i agree with you but look at the disadvantage they have do you see what im saying put the same gearing in the car and also the same throttle body affects and then call it a race. ive read plenty of thread where they put the manual gearing in the auto and they run quicker 1/4 mile times just from that. You are exactly right those times are not run of the mill times but that is exactly why i posted them. Obviously both drivers are very good expecially veteec he has more than one 1/4 mile title but the auto is right there with it. I cant compare bad drivers because there is absolutely no consistency if you see what im saying.

Last edited by marques1; 09-20-2007 at 11:23 AM.
Old 09-20-2007, 11:24 AM
adamw

Originally Posted by Rexy7
autos do not belong on a sports car, it really takes out the enjoyment of driving a sports car. Thats why its called a "sports car" because you have to work at it to get the car moving.
It doesn't seem to be a popular view on here Rexy7, but I totally agree with you.

The very fact that this thread is all about straight line speed also seems strange to me. Of course, it's important, but to really enjoy a car like a 350Z you need to go round some corners, and a lot of that comes down to gear selection to get that sweet pull out of the corner.
Old 09-20-2007, 11:25 AM
marques1

tubbs i agree with you fully but no one ever comes on here and says man i whooped a auto on a road course i can believe that for sure but in a straight line you don't whoop up on a auto you might beat it but whoop on it exagerration. people come on here talking about they pull like 5 car lengths and what not because they have a manual and the other car is a auto. I agree with most of you posting but do you see what im saying no one hardly ever talks about road courses on here. When ever someone compares the two cars its in straight line performance not on a road course that is my point.

Last edited by marques1; 09-20-2007 at 11:27 AM.
Old 09-20-2007, 11:25 AM
___DJK___

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Tubbs
because people are stupid.

/closethread
Old 09-20-2007, 11:31 AM
roncfpz

Originally Posted by Rexy7
I thoroughly enjoy driving my 500whp auto with paddle shifters.....and it doesn't take much to get it moving either.
Old 09-20-2007, 11:38 AM
marques1

lol roncfpz im glad you could hit this thread up people are so ignorant some times and so stuck in their ways its crazy. It is like a manual tranny=crack habit. Are you planning on taking that beast to the track soon when you do can you post your times. Im trying to get at your horsepower levels but im still young so i have a while to play around with the turbo's and all. Bye the way did you get you transmission upgraded yet and how does it feel any slippage.
Old 09-20-2007, 11:38 AM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Don’t come around here starting trouble.

Last edited by davidv; 09-20-2007 at 11:40 AM.
Old 09-20-2007, 11:41 AM
marques1

david v i just couldn't wait to you showed up lol.
Old 09-20-2007, 11:42 AM
bailey bill

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Im asking how come you compare the 2 cars in straight line performance eventhought they have different parts... .
gee, I don't know.

Why do we compare Zs to Mustangs, Corvettes to Caymans, Ferarris to Lamborghinis, etc?

I guess if they WEREN'T different, there wouldn't be any thing to compare.

bill
Old 09-20-2007, 11:45 AM
marques1

Yeah I Understand But We Are Comparing The Same Car Is What I Mean But With Different Parts That Affect 1/4 Mile Times. I Know Their Are Some People On Here With A Tune And 6 Speed Gears I Want To Know What Their Times Are.
Old 09-20-2007, 11:52 AM
roncfpz

lol roncfpz im glad you could hit this thread up people are so ignorant some times and so stuck in their ways its crazy. It is like a manual tranny=crack habit. Are you planning on taking that beast to the track soon when you do can you post your times. Im trying to get at your horsepower levels but im still young so i have a while to play around with the turbo's and all. Bye the way did you get you transmission upgraded yet and how does it feel any slippage.
It's all good. I respect their opinion. I'm just surprised so much time and energy is spent on the debate. No immediate plans to track it. If or when I do most likely it would be road course events.

The transmission was completely rebuilt by SGP and is rock solid holding and transferring the power very well. No slippage at all; shifts hard and fast. Good luck with your setup.

Quick Reply: why do people compare auto z vs. manual (not a war)