Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Question about Driving Manual Shift~i am So Confused!

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2008, 09:04 PM
Z-Lover

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question about Driving Manual Shift~i am So Confused!

hi guys,
i've been driving my stick Z for a month now. and i am fine with start , upshift , downshift for now. but i am still pretty noobish in driving stick...

so please forgive me for any stupid questions i might ask.

Got a question about the manual Z.

i don't know how to describe the question clearly, but i will try my best, and i hope u guys will undestand what i am talking about.

when i start the car on 1st Gear, i give some gas, when the Speedometer reaches 2500 to 3000rpm, i didn't shift to 2nd Gear,instead, i let off the gas, the car's kinda sliding back and forth, very strange feeling(don't know how to desribe),sort of like braking and go , braking and go, and it makes me very uncomfortable.

When i am in 2nd Gear while driving, i give some gas to about 3000rpm, i let off the gas, the car is doing the same thing as it did in 1st gear, but much less to the point that i can't even feel it.

What is going on with my car???? something wrong with the car? or how am i supposed to solve the problem?i am totally confused!

Please help!!! Million Thanks~~~

Last edited by Z-Lover; 11-08-2008 at 09:07 PM.
Old 11-08-2008, 09:22 PM
shakuya88

Originally Posted by Z-Lover
hi guys,
i've been driving my stick Z for a month now. and i am fine with start , upshift , downshift for now. but i am still pretty noobish in driving stick...

so please forgive me for any stupid questions i might ask.

Got a question about the manual Z.

i don't know how to describe the question clearly, but i will try my best, and i hope u guys will undestand what i am talking about.

when i start the car on 1st Gear, i give some gas, when the Speedometer reaches 2500 to 3000rpm, i didn't shift to 2nd Gear,instead, i let off the gas, the car's kinda sliding back and forth, very strange feeling(don't know how to desribe),sort of like braking and go , braking and go, and it makes me very uncomfortable.

When i am in 2nd Gear while driving, i give some gas to about 3000rpm, i let off the gas, the car is doing the same thing as it did in 1st gear, but much less to the point that i can't even feel it.

What is going on with my car???? something wrong with the car? or how am i supposed to solve the problem?i am totally confused!

Please help!!! Million Thanks~~~
My G does the same thing but only when I slam the throttle shut. If you let off slow it doesn't do it. I don't know why it does it but I think it's normal.
Old 11-08-2008, 09:30 PM
Sean

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

OP, that is normal. there is drag on the engine as long as it's in gear, the lower the gear number the more drag at speed.

shift into Neutral to coast for any real distance.
Old 11-08-2008, 09:46 PM
Z-Lover

Originally Posted by Sean
OP, that is normal. there is drag on the engine as long as it's in gear, the lower the gear number the more drag at speed.

shift into Neutral to coast for any real distance.
thanks for your reply..but sometimes when i am in the parking lot looking for a parking spot..i have to keep the car in Gear( 1st) to get the car moving...or when i am in traffic jam, i need to move very slowly in 1st. the car does that sliding back and forth , and it makes me crazy.. if i shift into N?eutral, how am i supposed to move? i am noob..plz bear with me .
Old 11-08-2008, 09:48 PM
Z-Lover

Originally Posted by shakuya88
My G does the same thing but only when I slam the throttle shut. If you let off slow it doesn't do it. I don't know why it does it but I think it's normal.
u mean u let off the gas very slowly, and the car will stop doing that? i think i let the gas pretty slow.but the car still does that...make me very very comfortable. and i almost want to go back to the dealership for repair since i am too noobish
Old 11-08-2008, 09:49 PM
Sean

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

once you get rolling you clutch in and go neutral, let off clutch and coast...you will get used to determining how fast to get rolling to coast the distance you want without ramming anyone.
Old 11-08-2008, 09:59 PM
shakuya88

if your in first and need to let off but will go again without stopping just press in clutch and leave it in 1st. Isn't the greatest thing for your throw out bearing but w/e...haha When I do just let off, real slow, it does it once maybe.
Old 11-08-2008, 10:34 PM
GHOST1207

It's normal, either just put in neutral so you're still rolling, or press the gas pedal very lightly, you'd still be rolling but without that drag/braking feeling.

Take it from a former MT noob, the Z is my first MT car, so don't feel so bad.
Old 11-09-2008, 09:42 AM
black3.5z

I would assume vacum pressure
Old 11-09-2008, 10:00 AM
Flick Montana

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My advice would be to learn to keep it in neutral a lot. Don't stay on the clutch and don't putter around at the lower end of first. Once you learn to shift quickly, you can go from coasting in N to 1st without causing the people behind you to honk at you.

I personally drop into N even if I am not going to shift right away. It beats riding the clutch and you don't have to let off the gas in gear. My car gets ludicrously noisy when I do that anyways.
Old 11-09-2008, 10:06 AM
JCat
---------------

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts

Practice shifting at lower RPMs. You do not need to wait till 2500 - 3000 RPMs to shift.

Also, it is okay to press-in the clutch and hold it in untill the engine RPMS are low enough to initiate a shift from one gear to another.

With time you will learn that certain RPMs are appropriate for shifting from one gear to another . . . .whether you are shifting up or shifting down.
Old 11-09-2008, 10:09 AM
ni$mo350

Originally Posted by Z-Lover
There lies your problem. haha J/K practice makes perfect and like it was said above, learn to keep it in N more. It's also in the clutch work. You'll get a hang of it sooner or later. G/L
Old 11-09-2008, 10:14 AM
ni$mo350

Double post...

Last edited by ni$mo350; 11-09-2008 at 10:20 AM.
Old 11-09-2008, 10:39 AM
yelohandL

well it's perfectly normal.

if you're on first gear, before you let go

of the gas, just shift to higher gear so

your car wouldn't rock back and forth like

that. lower the gear the more of that.

and higher the rpm the more rocking there

will be also. so just shift to higher gear

or just stay in neutral when you are coming

to a stop
Old 11-09-2008, 11:40 AM
TreeFiddyZee
Do WHAAAAT!?

You're getting what's referred to (by me anyway) as "bucking". If it starts doing that, push in the clutch. The way to avoid it is to let off of the gas slower. When you release quickly, it starts that torque whip. If it's bad enough, it's self-sustaining because it bucks, your foot hits the gas and it bucks harder.
Basically, just don't let off of the gas so fast, or conversely, don't hit the gas so hard when you're coasting with high revs.

edit: Oh yeah. And if you can't stop doing it, then roll your window down, hold your arm out the window and yell "Yeeeeeee-Haaaaa".

Last edited by TreeFiddyZee; 11-09-2008 at 01:54 PM.
Old 11-09-2008, 12:43 PM
CancerJCCz

Originally Posted by TreeFiddyZee
You're getting what's referred to (by me anyway) as "bucking". If it starts doing that, push in the clutch. The way to avoid it is to let off of the gas slower. When you release quickly, it starts that torque whip. If it's bad enough, it's self-sustaining because it bucks, your foot hits the gas and it bucks harder.
Basically, just don't let off of the gas so fast, or conversely, don't hit the gas so hard when you're coasting with high revs.
This is what I had in mind. Otherwise I have no fukcing clue what the OP is talking about.
Old 11-09-2008, 03:02 PM
zettahertz

yup, theres major engine braking in gear 1 and 2. And a lot less in 5 and 6. Gotta be gentle on throttle with first gear to keep it smooth.
Old 11-09-2008, 05:34 PM
AML225

Everything said about bucking is dead on. All manual cars do this to some degree. In the Z, with it's very close gear ratios remember that if the car is at all rolling or moving you can be in second. You can even use second to get the car rolling from a complete stop but there's really no point for that. When I'm in the parking lot and need to be slowing down and turning and maneuvering I keep the transmission in 2nd gear and alternate between pushing the clutch in and out to get the proper speed for whatever I'm doing. I only really use first for pulling away from a dead stop.
Old 11-09-2008, 05:36 PM
Flick Montana

Originally Posted by TreeFiddyZee
If you can't stop doing it, then roll your window down, hold your arm out the window and yell "Yeeeeeee-Haaaaa".

Nothing useful to add. Just a good laugh.
Old 11-09-2008, 05:38 PM
zix07

as said before its called engine breaking and its perfectly normal. I have the same issue but i mean I've ridden motocross for years so there is alot worse engine breaking on the race bikes. But its nothing to get **** about. If it bothers you keep it in neutral or shift. If you still want to complain about it you can always go trade it in for an automatic....

Quick Reply: Question about Driving Manual Shift~i am So Confused!