Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Vibration/rattle on 'take-off' from idle...transmission?

Old 12-01-2004, 08:09 AM
King Tut

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I guess the noises don't bother me cause I know they are normal. I was just trying to tell this guy not to worry cause his car isn't going to break down cause those sounds are normal and vibration in trannys in normal.
Old 12-01-2004, 08:18 AM
jedi Z(1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by King Tut
I guess the noises don't bother me cause I know they are normal. I was just trying to tell this guy not to worry cause his car isn't going to break down cause those sounds are normal and vibration in trannys in normal. [/QUOTE

Ok, fine vibe yes - rattle , no. It's not lke the Z33 has a stellar history in the transmission dept. Have driven any other RWD drive cars?

Comparing the Z to a mustang or corvette is really apples to oranges. The mustang is a 20 year old car, and the corvette while nice, really doesn't have a lot of bragging rights in the build quality area.
Old 12-01-2004, 06:31 PM
push

Originally posted by jedi Z(1)

Ok, fine vibe yes - rattle , no. It's not lke the Z33 has a stellar history in the transmission dept. Have driven any other RWD drive cars?

Comparing the Z to a mustang or corvette is really apples to oranges. The mustang is a 20 year old car, and the corvette while nice, really doesn't have a lot of bragging rights in the build quality area. [/B]
You having said that shows clearly you have never owned a c5 corvette. I owned a c5 corvette and it was EXTREMELY reliable. My friend has a 97 C5 and has put around 100 bottle of nitrous (150 shot) through that car and the only maintenence he's had done to it is the routine stuff. Still runs like the day he got it and compression numbers are great, the car has 90k miles on it.

As for the mustang line, I'm not talking about a 20 year old mustang, i' talking 03-04 cobra with the tremec t56 tranny (same as the c5 corvette) Drive line chatter is common in a lot of RWD sports cars. Hell even the 98-01 cobras have driveline noise. 6 speed Supra TT (getrag tranny) also makes the exact same driveline noise as the corvette, mustang, and 350z.

And all the cars i've spoken about above I have either driven, owned, or been a passenger in, and it wasn't just one or two i've been in several of each.

If you want a quiet car that doesn't make any noise then get a damn cadillac.

Last edited by push; 12-01-2004 at 06:37 PM.
Old 12-01-2004, 06:45 PM
Nominee

Can you guys explain why it only chatters/vibrates once? Only occurs once after the initial start-up? It doesn't happen again until I've been parked for a period of time.

Thanks
Old 12-01-2004, 07:16 PM
Risk

Mine has done this for the past 8k miles. I at first was very annoyed with it, but now accept it as being normal. The reason is because nearly every other 6mt Z that ive heard does the same thing, some louder than others. Living in Socal let me just tell you that we have BIG meets. I can hear the drivetrain clattering on some cars from across a pretty big parking lot....so....its normal. My tranny did just start to grind going into 3rd though and the dealer is putting in a new tranny and clutch under warranty. Ill keep you guys posted to if this quiets the lashing drivetrain.
Old 12-01-2004, 10:40 PM
Zaw

I am having the same thing. I've also notice that when I up shift at 3500-4500 rpm there is a vibration in the cluch pedal and I get a louder engine noise. Has anyone else notice it too?
Old 12-02-2004, 07:20 AM
jedi Z(1)

hey push in case you didn't know the mustang chassis is a about 20 years old, the 04 is basically the same car they sold in 93 which was not much different than the car before it.

As for the corvette, the nitrous probably wouldn't hurt the engine- hey americans know how to build a engine (most of the time) but it certainly isn't the pinnacle of sports cars. I have driven c4's, c5's and the z06, the z06 was almost as fast as my TT Z, but not as good a ride or as refined.

When you say driveline chatter - are you sure you're not referring to clutch chatter? On many high horsepower manual transmission cars the clutch is a trade off between streetability and grabbing power. The chatter usually shows up on take off.
Old 12-02-2004, 10:18 AM
Nominee

Originally posted by Zaw
I am having the same thing. I've also notice that when I up shift at 3500-4500 rpm there is a vibration in the cluch pedal and I get a louder engine noise. Has anyone else notice it too?
No, it only occurs for me on takeoff @ 1500rpm.
Old 12-02-2004, 07:11 PM
mickyboy

Hey from OZ
Good to see you guys have all the same probs that we have.
The gearbox, driveline, flywheel, clutch----all make noise.
especially the dual mass flywheel/clutch set-up, this is what makes the noise, it would be far worse if the zed only had a single mass flywheel, just ask some of the guys that have replaced their oem flywheel for a light one.....There is a trade-off between just outright speed and streetability.

I have owned many sports cars in my time, the Zed is by no means perfect (far from it) but for the price it is excellent BFYB.
The trade-off is the price, you get what you pay for.
I'm sure Nissan could do a better job, but will you pay another $5000. NO, they are appealing to the masses with this car, the more they save in production costs, the more money they make.
Nissan is now the 2nd most profitable car maker worldwide.
The zed has helped them achieve this.

SeeYa from OZ
Old 12-03-2004, 04:52 AM
bknezevic

I got my car with 12 miles on it and it had a noise coming from somewhere in the drivetrain when rolling the car out of 1st. It sounds like something is broken, and it does it everytime not just when the car is cold.

It's not a clicking and it doesn't sound like the clutch. It sounds like it's coming from the rear axle or differential. I'm taking it in to the dealership with 200 miles on it and they will inspect the car and I'll let you guys know what they find.

I went there to set up an appointment and the service rep got in the car with me and I duplicated the problem over and over. He definetly said it wasn't normal and I'm pretty sure he's been in his fair share of 350Z's.
Old 12-03-2004, 05:03 AM
push

Originally posted by jedi Z(1)
hey push in case you didn't know the mustang chassis is a about 20 years old, the 04 is basically the same car they sold in 93 which was not much different than the car before it.

As for the corvette, the nitrous probably wouldn't hurt the engine- hey americans know how to build a engine (most of the time) but it certainly isn't the pinnacle of sports cars. I have driven c4's, c5's and the z06, the z06 was almost as fast as my TT Z, but not as good a ride or as refined.

When you say driveline chatter - are you sure you're not referring to clutch chatter? On many high horsepower manual transmission cars the clutch is a trade off between streetability and grabbing power. The chatter usually shows up on take off.
It doesn't matter how old the chasis is, the transmission and driveline is what we are talking about. And in the tranny's case it's the exact same as the c5 corvette. The c5 corvette is one of the best bang/buck sports cars in the industry. 108 trap stock (non z06) 112-113 traps with just an intake, exhaust, and re-map. Not to mention they eat up 150 shots and some even go 175-200 shots (on stock fuel). The z06 (also a c5 )is a straight up demon, edmunds crowned it best domestic supercar (and many other magazines agree). It handles, has insane power, is reliable, and all this while it gets 35 mpg on the highway and is tame enough to drive daily. You must have had a hella fast z because my friend with just i/h/e and a re-map is trapping mid 120's.

It's deffinently not clutch chatter i'm talking about my tranny caught without a hitch, at the launch if you launched below 1,800-2k it would sound like marbles were rolling around in the transmission. Every single rwd sports car i've been in has made some sort of noise on the launch from a stop, the only difference was the different sound, and loudness of the noise.

Last edited by push; 12-03-2004 at 05:05 AM.
Old 12-04-2004, 11:07 PM
Risk

I just picked my car up from the dealer today with a new tranny and clutch in it. The tranny and clutch are DEFINATELY new since they are a lot tighter/stiffer than the ones they replaced. Whats funny is that the grinding noise through first gear that I hear on just about every Z is actually louder now!! This leads me to think that its the dual mass flywheel thats doin it. Im thinking about goin with a Tilton flywheel/clutch setup soon anyway.