2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

winter has arrived

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2002, 08:51 AM
bobbyz

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default winter has arrived

Californians and Floridians need not apply
So, winter is here in some areas and I'm pleading again for what everyone is going to do tire wise. I'm sticking with the stock 18" non-rays.
I guess my two tire options are:

225/45/18 Blizzaks all around
or
235/40/18 front and 245/45/18 rear Pirellis

The Pirellis are less deviant from the stock sizes.

I wish the Blizzaks would just come in either a 245/45/18 or a 225/50/18. Damn.

So, everyone toll in. What are you doing, what have you done, are you happy with your decission?
Old 11-03-2002, 06:07 PM
bobbyz

So no one is driving this car in the winter except me?
Old 11-03-2002, 06:42 PM
Z PHAT Z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bobby

How can you drive the Z in Toronto during winter? The snow is well over couple feet all the time. I live in Buffalo NY and there is no way on earth that my Z will be on the street
Well if you do drive it in the winter, have fun spinning
Old 11-03-2002, 10:03 PM
chicago_z

I'd be interested in knowing what you end up with Bobbyz

I'm getting my car delivered soon and I was thinking I should figure out some better 'all weather' tires to put on the Z.

I don't intend to drive it in the snow if possible - but there is even a chance that it could snow the day it gets delivered.

I've read a post (not sure how credible) saying that the stock tires are 'dangerous' even in light rain.
Old 11-03-2002, 10:29 PM
z350z
Charter Member #13

I used to drive an '81 RX7 in Toronto in the Winter and it was a BIG mistake. I would never drive a RWD sports car there in the winter, especially one with a lot of power.

Instead of investing in new tires, I would buy an old crappy car and use that until the snow and ice go away. Or, just put on snow tires, hope for the best, and be careful out there! (My ultimate solution was to move to California, but that might not be an option. )
Old 11-04-2002, 02:59 AM
bobbyz

You guys are funny.
Feet of snow all the time?
Are you nuts?
Toronto is a big city with great snow removal. We get maybe three big dumps a year and those are all cleared in a matter of days. I will not be driving the Z on those days. For your info, the last three winters I have driven a 1994 Porsche 968 the entire year with less touble getting around then I did in my Integra GSR driven the three winters previous to that. The Z will be no worse then a BMW 3 series, a Mercedes C class etc. I dont see people storing those for the winter. Listen, the Z like any car is going to depreciate...its not a Ferrari, its a Nissan. Why would I let it sit in my garage on a sunny winter day? And if the car was not intended for winter use, then why did mine (like all Canadian models) come with a block heater...and heated seats and side mirrors?
This has been discussed on this forum too much. I'm driving the car in the winter and am only asking for a winter tire recomendation. I called NIssan, and they do not have one. They know they screwed up and are scambeling to get bridgestone to make one in the stock sizes, but I'm not sure when this will be avalable.
Old 11-04-2002, 05:50 AM
amigliet

Go see Mike and Wheel and Tire Zone in Richmondhill. I just go my winter's put on with 17" CSA Gladiator rims, with Yokohama 225 snow tires all the way around and they work great. I have a silverstone Track model... there you go...
Old 11-04-2002, 06:58 AM
Zoro

Default Mine is snuggled in for the winter

After early problems with frozen windows from frost I've decided to put my Z to bed for the winter last week along with my RX-7.

The problem with driving in the winter isn't the snow but rather the salt. Salt will destroy a car way before its time. Sure there might be some nice days during the winter. But you'll be driving through areas where the snow is melting and the water that gets splashed up has a high salt content.

Also you get a lot of moisture built up in crevices and cranny's just being parked outdoors.

Then there is another problem with the car not being quite as safe as a normal sedan "being so low" when the crazy SUVers go plowing into you.

Also and you mentioned earlier the stock tires are not designed for use in the snow.

True the car is not an exotic but it may be as close as many of us ever get to one.

So why not just bundle it up till next spring and have a nice fresh sports car to play with then.

My RX-7 has been stored every winter and still looks mint.
Old 11-04-2002, 07:28 AM
bobbyz

What is the aspect ratio on the 225's you put on all around? 50 front and 55 rear, or 50 or55 all around?
If it is the same all around, I guess that there is no adverse effects to the VDC etc?
Thanks
Old 11-04-2002, 08:25 AM
WashUJon

I plan to drive my Z in the winter, provided I GET mine this winter. I might buy a beater next year, but that depends on how well the Z likes the winters here in Chicago. The car will be garage kept and I only work 1 mile from home. The streets get plowed in my burb pretty quickly and they're never too bad. The only crappy thing is that my car is in a rear garage and the alley gets pretty high on snow sometimes. I may not be able to get the car out on bad snow days, but then I'll just take the bus or make do.

I am a bit concerned about the windows freezing up, but I'll keep a scraper in the trunk and see if that's sufficient.

If I have the money to buy a beater, I'd do that and save myself the hassle and expense of snow tires. As it is, I probably won't get my Z until after the dead of winter, so I may have time to work it out. Obviously, the best thing to do is to buy a beater and store the Z, only taking it out on dry sunny days. I'm not afraid to drive a RWD car in the winters, but I'd honestly prefer not to.
Old 11-04-2002, 08:31 AM
Vlad

Originally posted by bobbyz
So no one is driving this car in the winter except me?
I will soon. It's going to be snowing in Michigan any day now. I'm going to wait and see how it goes with my stock tires.
Old 11-04-2002, 08:50 AM
amigliet

55's all the way around.. no problem with VDC since the diameter of the tire is like stock..
Old 11-04-2002, 09:10 AM
J Ritt

Hey man,
I'm going to run 225/45/17's all the way around...Michelin Pilot Alpins. I got the same size front and rear so I can rotate them...treads wear fairly fast when there's no snow. It's better to have slightly narrower tires in the winter than big wide footprints. Yes I know they are smaller in overall diameter than stock...small difference though, and shouldn't significantly affect anything.
Old 11-04-2002, 09:10 AM
icepig

So far I have avoided the Z on three days of driving, due to snow. The problem is usually not 98% of the distance between home and my destination, but the little bit on the smaller scale roads where the snow and ice remains.

I tried to take the car out on the first day of snow, but the traction was nearly non-existent, so I got all of about 10 yards, and set it back in the garage. That is on the stock summer tires, which alone is enough to make winter tires basically necessary if I want to drive in any snow.

I have another car I can drive on the bad days, so I am not in a hurry to make a decision on winter driving yet. I am contemplating buying a set of 17s with winter tires, which I am guessing would be only maybe $2,000 or so, depending on the wheels and tires (costs anyone?).

I have had a great weekend of driving, being in the 10 deg C range and sunny, so I no longer feel cheated out of driving my new car until next year. It is a beauty, no doubt. I do not really desire to drive in the snow, as winter driving is not fun, and hence conflicts with the basic purpose of the car, so I therefore look forward to spring for some nice trips through the mountains.
Old 11-04-2002, 09:47 AM
WashUJon

Originally posted by Vlad
I will soon. It's going to be snowing in Michigan any day now. I'm going to wait and see how it goes with my stock tires.
I wouldn't suggest doing that, considering that Audi told its S4 drivers with the same stock tires NOT to drive in winter with those. And that car has all wheel drive. Tire Rack shows lots of negative comments about the tires in snow.
Old 11-04-2002, 10:47 AM
J Ritt

Icepig,

I got my wheels and tires from here: http://www.discounttiredirect.com/

I got 4 Fondmetal Type 5800 wheels in 17x7.5 with 35mm offset. On those wheels are H Speed Rated Michelin Pilot Alpins 225/45/17.

The wheels are italian made 5 spoke design, and they look really nice. I like the 5 spoke design because they are very open and should be easy to clean. I researched the quality a bit, and they seem to be pretty good. Fondmetal actually supplied F1 wheels for a stint, so that's a good pedigree. I haven't test fitted them yet, but will be within the next week or two. I don't forsee any fitment problems at all given the offsets though. The total package was around $1200-1300 including shipping. Call Andre at 1-800-589-6789 extension 424...very helpful.
Old 11-04-2002, 12:01 PM
Z33Fan

I'm selling my stock 17" wheels. PM me for details.

Originally posted by icepig
So far I have avoided the Z on three days of driving, due to snow. The problem is usually not 98% of the distance between home and my destination, but the little bit on the smaller scale roads where the snow and ice remains.

I tried to take the car out on the first day of snow, but the traction was nearly non-existent, so I got all of about 10 yards, and set it back in the garage. That is on the stock summer tires, which alone is enough to make winter tires basically necessary if I want to drive in any snow.

I have another car I can drive on the bad days, so I am not in a hurry to make a decision on winter driving yet. I am contemplating buying a set of 17s with winter tires, which I am guessing would be only maybe $2,000 or so, depending on the wheels and tires (costs anyone?).

I have had a great weekend of driving, being in the 10 deg C range and sunny, so I no longer feel cheated out of driving my new car until next year. It is a beauty, no doubt. I do not really desire to drive in the snow, as winter driving is not fun, and hence conflicts with the basic purpose of the car, so I therefore look forward to spring for some nice trips through the mountains.
Old 11-04-2002, 02:03 PM
Canadian350Z

Hey bobbyz!

Sorry to hear you're still having issues with tires.

I'll be parking mine pretty soon. Covered up in the driveway now, just waiting for the last few nice days in Nov and early Dec (hopefully) before parking her until April....

I've managed to put on 4000kms though

Later,
Old 11-04-2002, 04:48 PM
zcar70

Thumbs down Z in winter????????

PUT 'EM AWAY IN THE SNOW! GET A SUV!

Actually I am very glad all those folks in the early 70's decided to drive their 240Zs in the winter slush, sand and salt. They disintigrated!

Made my '70 all the more scarce and classic.

Maybe the same will happen to the 350!
Old 11-04-2002, 05:18 PM
Ohio350z

I am driving mine in the winter. I am not planning on keeping the car for 20 years. If you keep the car clean in the winter it will last a long time. In regards to performance in the winter, with Blizzaks and TCS there will be no problem driving it. I drove my Supra and my Conquest TSI in the winter and I never had any problems nor did I have snow tires. Plus if you think a better car will cost you only $750 bucks let me know.

Quick Reply: winter has arrived