2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

base Z stereo......=SH1T

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2004, 08:44 AM
ANXIOUZ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Treble + 3
Bass + 1

That works best for me. The speaker behind the driver's head rattles with the bass above +2.

In Nissan's defense....I have NEVER heard a decent stock stereo in any car ever. I have a Ford Escape that actually has some decent punch, but it's still not very good.
Old 12-06-2004, 09:33 AM
King Tut

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Stock sucks. It always has, it always will.
Old 12-06-2004, 09:50 AM
wildone_106

If I want a nice stereo I sit at home and turn it on, if I wanna drive a nice sportscar I get in the Z, it does its job and got no conplaints here
Old 12-06-2004, 10:16 AM
Built2shredZ

My brother has a enthuist roadster and the sterreo in his car sucks compared to the one that comes with the touring roadster.

Definatly worth the 2k getting the touring edition over the enthuist.
Old 12-06-2004, 12:28 PM
wildone_106

so they have different radios for each package? I got the Touring and never had issues with it
Old 12-06-2004, 01:07 PM
Santacruzslick
Veteran

Originally posted by wildone_106
so they have different radios for each package? I got the Touring and never had issues with it
The touring has the BOSE upgrade.
Old 12-06-2004, 01:33 PM
chrism1

BASS -1, Treble +5 all the way. I also have an M3 , same thing , Harmon Kardon Sound, still sounds stock sh$tty! I think the manufacturers get together with High End Audio companies, and think of ways to fool us Consumers to think that we get a better stereo with there Logo on it! Thats B.S.! Stock is still Stock, unless you upgrage!!!!
Old 12-06-2004, 01:58 PM
NzZ

Yeah guys a crappy stock stereo is common to many brands - BMW, Honda, Nissan, Benz (the cheaper ones anyway)...I'd love to have mark levinson systems in all of those cars, but nobody listens to me.

NzZ
Old 12-06-2004, 02:12 PM
zland
Sponsor
Sport Z Magazine

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally posted by Built2shredZ
My brother has a enthuist roadster and the sterreo in his car sucks compared to the one that comes with the touring roadster.

Definatly worth the 2k getting the touring edition over the enthuist.
To start, I know the coupe touring model is much more than 2k over the Ent. model. Are you sure the cost you are saying is accurate?

In addition, I feel you can spend a couple of thousand bucks on an after market stereo that will blow away the bose system. In addition, the bose typically have amps for each speaker and when they blow, the cost to replace is VERY expensive. You cant simply replace a Bose speaker with another brand. When one Bose speaker blows, the others are not far behind. They typically run on a 2 ohm system thus to replace one, replace all so for the cost (Bang for the buck) and the cost to fix a Bose system, it is not a choice I would recommend.
Old 12-06-2004, 07:25 PM
Risk

Ok, I couldnt watch this any longer without getting involved. A few years ago I paid my bills with custom audio/video installs in residential properties. At that time, not only was I working with systems that costed several hundred grand, but also had a pretty top end system in my car (MB Quart full range and 2 Image Dynamics IDmax 12s, Orion HCCA amps at .5 ohm). The bose system in the touring model is no "premium" system, true. It is however one of the best stock systems Ive ever heard and on par with something you would pay a lot of money for not that long ago in the aftermarket. The problem with the general public especially these days is if the system doesnt get to supersonic levels while the bass rattles your fillings loose then it must "suck." Before I get accused of veing an old guy, know that I am a 26yo Insurance Broker by day and Drummer by night with a lot of experience in sound reinforcement. I think the quality of sound in the bose system is VERY true, even if you dont need to wear a jock strap to listen to hip-hop.
Old 12-06-2004, 07:32 PM
Built2shredZ

I agree with risk My Bose System in my Touring Roadster is great sounding. True it does not have earth shaking bass, but in all honesty when I did have cars with 12" subs in the trunk, I rarely had the volume turned up unless i was showing it off. There's no way you can listen to music for a long road trip with the bass pounding away without a serious headache.

Zland,

I was compaing the Base Roadster with the Touring Roadster. There are only 2 models of roadster. There is only like 2000 difference between the two (as long as you dont get navigation). For the $2000 you get upgraded bose system, Heated Leather Seats and 18" Rims... For 2k thats a good deal

Last edited by Built2shredZ; 12-06-2004 at 07:37 PM.
Old 12-06-2004, 07:32 PM
NzZ

One other thing to note about the bose is that it includes a 6CD in dash changer...those are expensive. Many of the "superior" aftermarket systems that I see don't have one. Also the bose system doesn't eat away from cargo space, and doesn't void any warranties. Plus the speakers in the Z are not individually amplified - if memory servces correctly there are 2 separate amps.

NzZ
Old 12-07-2004, 05:36 AM
Neo105

I've asked this question in another thread already but i did not get an anwser so i'll ask it here again: Does the '05 Track have a BOSE system?

Thnx Guys
Old 12-10-2004, 08:57 PM
cwerdna

Originally posted by chrism1
BASS -1, Treble +5 all the way. I also have an M3 , same thing , Harmon Kardon Sound, still sounds stock sh$tty! I think the manufacturers get together with High End Audio companies, and think of ways to fool us Consumers to think that we get a better stereo with there Logo on it! Thats B.S.! Stock is still Stock, unless you upgrage!!!!
Bass -1, Treble +5??? Do your ears bleed? I tried that today and it sounded awful. I usually run mine stock system w/bass +3, and treble -2. If I use bass +4 or +5 on some songs, I get too much distortion or sometimes what seems like clipping/overloading.
Old 12-10-2004, 09:45 PM
SB Track

Originally posted by Risk
Ok, I couldnt watch this any longer without getting involved. A few years ago I paid my bills with custom audio/video installs in residential properties. At that time, not only was I working with systems that costed several hundred grand, but also had a pretty top end system in my car (MB Quart full range and 2 Image Dynamics IDmax 12s, Orion HCCA amps at .5 ohm). The bose system in the touring model is no "premium" system, true. It is however one of the best stock systems Ive ever heard and on par with something you would pay a lot of money for not that long ago in the aftermarket. The problem with the general public especially these days is if the system doesnt get to supersonic levels while the bass rattles your fillings loose then it must "suck." Before I get accused of veing an old guy, know that I am a 26yo Insurance Broker by day and Drummer by night with a lot of experience in sound reinforcement. I think the quality of sound in the bose system is VERY true, even if you dont need to wear a jock strap to listen to hip-hop.
You're insane. I don't believe you've ever worked with any kind of high end audio at all. If you did, you would clearly be able to tell the difference in sound. First of all, the Bose has no balance whatsoever. It has muddled bass, and no treble nor midrange. Secondly, if you think the Bose sounds "true" get into a Lexus LS430 and listen to the Mark Levingston PREMIUM audio system. I don't ever turn my music very loud, nor do I ever listen to hip-hop "music", so that's not where I'm coming from. The Bose is one of the worst systems I've ever heard. My friend's 2003 Accord EX V6 coupe has clearer music than the Bose. If you want "true" Bose sound system you should go back when they did sound in the early 90's for Acura and others. The Bose in my friends 93 RX-7 is MUCH clearer than any recent Bose system I've heard, even though it cannot "bump" any type of music.

Last edited by SB Track; 12-10-2004 at 09:47 PM.
Old 12-10-2004, 10:02 PM
DIE DIE DIE

wow this actually got alot of replies...although I'm not sure why everyone is talking about the bose system .... if you guys that have the bose are complaining, just be thankful you didn't get a base. It is by far the worst sound ever.

I'm getting a new deck for x-mas, so i'll let you know if the sound improves at all through that. Speakers will have to wait a while tho.
Old 12-10-2004, 10:20 PM
hndumafia

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

yea the base system definitely did suck! the speakers in my friends s-er spec v are way better, and so are the stock speakers that came in another friends jetta. but then again the speakers in my friends wrx are even worse than the Z. he doesn't listen to music loud or music with much bass, and he still managed to blow the speakers with everything stock.
Old 12-11-2004, 07:56 AM
zland
Sponsor
Sport Z Magazine

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts

When I refer to the Bose sound quality, I am refering to all the threads of unhappy people that own the bose, not just my opinion about it. One of the 4 most common complaints of the Z was the Bose sound quality (in addition to tire feathering, rattles, tranny's etc).

I stand by my accessment of cost of repair on a Bose. Talk to anyone in the stereo industry or any Nissan techs. It is one thing if you like the sound but another if you own the car longer than warranty. Replacing a speaker means replacing an amp for each speaker and once one speaker goes, the others go soon after.

If you disagree with my opinion and own one, no peoblem. I hope what I am discribing on repair does not happen to you. I jusy know the history of Bose in Nissans. Oh, btw, most stereo's that have been in Nissans that say Bose are the speakers. The head units are typically Clarions. Look at the back of the headunit when you take it out. I am not sure if it is on the Z but it has been that way on past Nissans.

Last edited by zland; 12-11-2004 at 07:59 AM.
Old 12-11-2004, 08:25 AM
kewlii

I dont know what you guys talking about, but my base stereo is awesome....it's the best stereo I have ever listened to. Specially when compare to my previous car 1976 V8 Ford Granada which still has the 8-track. BTW, does anyone listen to 8-track anymore?? or it's just me
Old 12-11-2004, 09:20 AM
jackie chan

great thread. now i have ricer ammo to shoot back at enth/base/track z guys when they say they can beat me in the twisties!!!! I'll just tell them their stereo sucks stock