Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Serious clutch question

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2004, 10:39 AM
kewlii

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Serious clutch question

I have seen a lot terms associated with the clutch; riding the clutch, feathering the clutch, slipping the clutch, etc...etc. What exactly are they? Would someone be kind enough to explain to me and others who are like me have no clue on this matter? like how do you know when these situations happen? how does your car react when these happen??
This is how I have been shifting my gear. Let say shitf into First gear. I step on the clutch to an engage point(which means I dont step it ALL the way in) but just enough so I can shift into my gear. so when the gear is Shifted. I GRADUALLY let go of the clutch, and step on my gas at the same time. I don't let go the clutch ALL at once but I slowly let it go back out(you know what I mean??). So is this consider riding the clutch or what? Is there anything wrong with the way I am shifting?? thanks guys
Old 12-06-2004, 12:05 PM
mdracer76
Banned

well.. lets start out with:

Riding the Clutch (same as Burning the clutch, slipping the clutch)
How do you know when these situations happen? Ususally its my girl driving the car. (sorry honey .. I love you )
How does your car react when this happens? : you smell the clutch cooking away, and I am ususally yelling at her to stop it

Your shifting fine.

Old 12-06-2004, 01:37 PM
ANXIOUZ

Default Re: Serious clutch question

Originally posted by kewlii
This is how I have been shifting my gear. Let say shitf into First gear. I step on the clutch to an engage point(which means I dont step it ALL the way in) but just enough so I can shift into my gear. so when the gear is Shifted. I GRADUALLY let go of the clutch, and step on my gas at the same time. I don't let go the clutch ALL at once but I slowly let it go back out(you know what I mean??). So is this consider riding the clutch or what? Is there anything wrong with the way I am shifting?? thanks guys
There's nothing wrong with the way you're shifting. Riding the clutch means that you're not releasing the clutch as quickly as you should. So if you're shifting and your left foot is involved for more than 2-3 seconds...you're riding the clutch.

Dropping the clutch means that you very quickly release the clutch...not gradually.

At least that's my impression of those terms.
Old 12-06-2004, 06:51 PM
ssc

so the way you are shifting, you are "slipping" the clutch. most of the time, during regular driving, you have to slip the clutch at least a little to have smooth shifts.
Old 12-06-2004, 07:41 PM
The Brickyard Rat
350Z-holic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Your doing fine.
Old 12-06-2004, 09:13 PM
DragonGcoupe

Originally posted by The Brickyard Rat
Your doing fine.
*You're +1