Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Rims/Wheels are they really worth the money?

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2004, 04:49 AM
HOMiEZ

Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Rims/Wheels are they really worth the money?

Dear My350z Memebers,

For the past couple of months I have been trying to save up for a nice set of wheels and tires for my 350z. Everything was going smooth at first but I was just talk to my girlfriend the other day and she popped a question that I could not answer. She ask me, "So these wheels are you saving for, does it make your car in any way perform better, or are they strictly appearance add-ons?"

Which I started to answer, "Well with bigger wheels you do get a little more traction because more there are more rubber to ground contact, but it bigger wheels actually reduce acceleration. So therefore, yeah its all just an appearance add-on."

In which she replies, "Well your car already looks so nice why would you have to put $3000 on a set of wheels to make it just look a little nicer and it'll actually make your car somewhat slower?"

This is where I'm stomped.... Now I have myself rethinking this wheels investment.

Cliff Notes:
Girl friend says, "Spending $3000 on a set of wheels is a waste of money."
I, cannot think of any reason to invest $3000 for just a small appearance enhancement..

Therefore, I want to know what you guys that have already put more than $3000 on your cars say about this situation?
Old 12-11-2004, 05:08 AM
SungNamZ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Rims/Wheels are they really worth the money?

Originally posted by HOMiEZ
Dear My350z Memebers,

For the past couple of months I have been trying to save up for a nice set of wheels and tires for my 350z. Everything was going smooth at first but I was just talk to my girlfriend the other day and she popped a question that I could not answer. She ask me, "So these wheels are you saving for, does it make your car in any way perform better, or are they strictly appearance add-ons?"

Which I started to answer, "Well with bigger wheels you do get a little more traction because more there are more rubber to ground contact, but it bigger wheels actually reduce acceleration. So therefore, yeah its all just an appearance add-on."

In which she replies, "Well your car already looks so nice why would you have to put $3000 on a set of wheels to make it just look a little nicer and it'll actually make your car somewhat slower?"

This is where I'm stomped.... Now I have myself rethinking this wheels investment.

Cliff Notes:
I, cannot think of any reason to invest $3000 for just a small appearance enhancement..

Therefore, I want to know what you guys that have already put more than $3000 on your cars say about this situation?
She is right! It is an "appearance" thing. But, so are shoes, hair, nails, make-up and clothes. Don't know your "girlfriend" so you might not want to go in that direction. If it makes you feel good, then it is a PLUS!

I sat down the other day and added up what I have already done to my "looks so nice" Z. Things have gone on and stayed while others have come off! Rough estimate, $12,000 +.
Attached Thumbnails Rims/Wheels are they really worth the money?-new-z-pic-s-29-aug-003.jpg  
Old 12-11-2004, 05:34 AM
insane350z

Cliff Notes:

Mods to cars are never an "investment". You do it for your enjoyment with whats called "disposable income". If spending $3K on a car will negatively impact your lifestyle then you shouldn't be doing doing it IMO.
Old 12-11-2004, 07:02 AM
DrVolkl

They can be "performance" as well.

I went with 18" lightweight rims when I upgraded....plus I think they look fantastic too...a win-win situation.
They only weigh 17lbs per rim...versus the 25lbs+ for the stocks....

I also got my rims off the classified section on this board...you can really find some great deals sometimes...and I didn't spend $3000.
Old 12-11-2004, 07:41 AM
southern_info

If you didn't spend $3000 on rims and tires then what would you buy then?
Old 12-11-2004, 08:24 AM
zland
Sponsor
Sport Z Magazine

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts

Read my post regarding wheels in the "read this before you modify your Z thread". If you select a light weight wheel/tire pkg., it is a performance upgrade. Read the thread, then if you have questions, we will go from there.
Old 12-11-2004, 08:42 AM
Built2shredZ

Dear My350z Memebers,

my girlfriend the other day and she popped a question that I could not answer. She ask me, "So these wheels are you saving for, does it make your car in any way perform better, or are they strictly appearance add-ons?"

1st off Rims is a way to make your car look different then the 1000's of other stock 350z's out there.... If you dont mind looking like a clone, then stick with the stock rims.

2nd girlfriends always say that about car parts because they want you to spend the money on them.. usally an engagement ring Dont fall for the trap
Old 12-11-2004, 08:53 AM
Chicken

I liked the Z as is (stock), but for me, adding the kit and wheels made it what I wanted it to be. If you're satisfied with how it looks, then don't spend the money.
Old 12-11-2004, 09:41 AM
SB Track

I have always been a firm believer that the rims / wheel can completely change the look of a car. I think it's a good investment. Keep in mind though that you'll probably need more money to get springs / coilovers after you get the wheels because it will look kind of funny.

Also.. I don't know about your gf, but check out how many purses or shoes a girl has. I've always understood that we all love to spend money just in different ways, so I never protest when a girl wants to buy an expensive article for herself, even if she has 10 others already.
Old 12-11-2004, 11:58 AM
340HP

Default Re: Re: Rims/Wheels are they really worth the money?

Originally posted by SungNamZ
She is right! It is an "appearance" thing. But, so are shoes, hair, nails, make-up and clothes. Don't know your "girlfriend" so you might not want to go in that direction. If it makes you feel good, then it is a PLUS!

I sat down the other day and added up what I have already done to my "looks so nice" Z. Things have gone on and stayed while others have come off! Rough estimate, $12,000 +.
Your Z color is FUKCINGTASTIC! I love it.

Gorgeous.
Old 12-11-2004, 12:04 PM
SungNamZ

Thanks! Didn't know if I made the right decision when ordering until it was received.
Old 12-11-2004, 12:59 PM
Zexy

Makes the car go slower?

What are you getting chrome rims or something?
Old 12-12-2004, 03:30 AM
HOMiEZ

Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally posted by Zexy
Makes the car go slower?

What are you getting chrome rims or something?
Well I have 17inch rims and smaller rims = faster launch?

And I'm looking into mostly Volk Rims.

oh on side topic: have any body experimented with cheap rims. like ones you can get a set of four 18inch rims with tires for $1000. Those ones look okay but they seem to be low quality.
Old 12-12-2004, 04:20 AM
ssc

smaller rims=faster launch?...is that really true?
i would think that if you get wider/bigger wheels with stickier tires you'll launch faster
Old 12-12-2004, 07:48 AM
Chicken

Cliff Notes:

<snip>

oh on side topic: have any body experimented with cheap rims. like ones you can get a set of four 18inch rims with tires for $1000. Those ones look okay but they seem to be low quality.
I think you need to re-evaluate why you are even thinking of getting rims. In the top part of the quote you say, "a small appearance enhancement" -when really, it's a pretty big one. Then you ask about "cheap rims" and "those ones look okay but they seem to be low quality" -eh? Why would you spend money on something that looks okay but is low quality?

You should probably just stick with stock wheels, as the quality is decent (at least), and it doesn't feel right due to it being a small appearance enhancement. With that thinking, and due to the fact that you have to "save up" for the wheels, I think you'd be better off.
Old 12-12-2004, 10:12 AM
RANDY350Z

Sounds like she wants you to spend 3000 on her! Or, since you spend 3000 on your car, she thinks or maybe even expects you to spend that on her!

One rule----never ask, tell, or ask advice when it comes to these things just do and give little info. -----you get less argument all the way.

When I bought my S2000, wife was pissed, but it only lasted about a few hours! No asking involved!
Old 12-12-2004, 02:07 PM
AV630

What she is trying to say is... I want something so stop spending money on the car and spend it on me.

I say you go buy a porsche cayenne turbo.
Old 12-12-2004, 11:48 PM
itburns

Your Z (like MOST cars) has extra room under the fender... it was meant to be filled with bigger tires and rims.

Once you get the right tires and rims, you will start resenting your GF for trying to steer you away. BE A MAN! SPEND YO MONEY.

The extra rubber, firmer sidewalls, and bigger footprint not only help with acceleration but cornering, DUH. The lighter weight rim improves acceleration and braking, too.

But be a smart BF and buy your GF a Louis Vuitton when you buy your rims/tires just to shut her up.
Old 12-13-2004, 12:34 AM
CaptinB

For me, it's looks and safety. The stock tires SUCK in the rain. I plan on getting some 18" with some better all-season tires. The stock tires are "summer only" tires.

Where I live, it rains so much that a $3000 set of wheels / tires could be seen as insurance against a $3000+ accident.

...and they look cool and weigh less usually

CaptinB
Old 12-13-2004, 09:49 AM
King Tut

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Rims/Wheels are they really worth the money?
ALWAYS.

Quick Reply: Rims/Wheels are they really worth the money?