Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Are tires really on Backorder from Nissan ??

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2004, 09:25 AM
Silver_Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Are tires really on Backorder from Nissan ??

Well, last week was a bad week indeed. I have a 2004.5 350Z with just over 8K miles. First, I noticed that there is a warbling noise at low speeds. Yup.... tire feathering and cupping. Took it to the dealer (Baker Jackson Nissan in Houston, TX). They said that the 2 tires should be replaced under warranty. After leaving it for a couple of days, they said there are no tires to be found. All tires on back-order and they don't know when some will come in. I think I remember reading a thread about this a while back. Is it true? Can you shed any light on the tire situation.

That same week, I was heading to work and a piece of sheet-metal on the highway was kicked up in the air by a dump truck and trashed my front bumber (could have been worse). Stabbed it straight through (enough to puncture the windshield washer fluid canister). Preliminary estimates $850. I already have a NISMO front bumper on order. To bad the clear bra did not help (Ha!).....
Old 12-13-2004, 09:35 AM
amairmech

Well, i have a 2004.5 also. My tire feathering also started around 8000. Managed to get it to the dealer at around 11000 where the noise was unbearable. the also tolde me the tires were on backorder. this was about 3 to 4 months ago. 3 days ago i got my tires installed and oh how smooth it is now. but im expecting the same situation again in 8000. i really hope not though. So to answer your question yes its true.
Old 12-13-2004, 03:42 PM
peterhong

Expect the problem to come back in about 8000 miles. Mine just came back 8000 miles after the first go round, and to the best of my knowledge, no alignment specs have been changed in the last few months. At least I have a 2003 model where the tire warranty has been extended to 2 years/24K miles. I feel bad for all the 04 and 05 models that clearly have the feathering problem but Nissan wont extend the tire warranty for them. I smell CLASS ACTION!!!
Old 12-13-2004, 04:11 PM
DavesZ#3
350Z-holic

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

You guys are lucky that the dealer is even considering replacing the tires. The TSB does not cover the 04's so Nissan will not reimburse the dealer for the tires, the dealer better be prepared to eat the cost.
Old 12-13-2004, 06:18 PM
Silver_Racer

The dealer said they have only replaced one other set of tires on an 04' and it was a roadster. Nissan apparently is paying for the tires, becuase they are on backorder from Nissan, and to get them on order, they had to submit alignment specs and tire wear info to Nissan. I still don't see how Nissan has not fixed this problem. Other than this problem, it is a great car and I really like it.

Thanks to all the people who have paved the way for me to get my tires without a lot of hasstle (class action lawsuits, etc).
Old 12-14-2004, 02:40 PM
bobS

Yes i put 15k on my car until the tire feathering really got loud. My dealer said the tires are on back order and it will take 1-2 weeks until they come in. They will call me when they come in.
Old 12-14-2004, 03:09 PM
CTBZR

I now have the tire feathing happening to my Z. I have 18K on it and spoke to the dealer. He told me that the TSD for the 03 models don't apply to the 04 models.

I called 1-800-nissan-1 and spoke to a rep. she gave me a file number and her contact extension and asked me to obtain a diagnosis from the dealer.

Once I have the diagnosis I am to call her then she will pass me on to a tech. She told me the the tech and the dealer will talk and I should have my issue resolved... Hmmmmm lets see what happens...
Old 12-15-2004, 04:42 AM
Silver_Racer

Seems like Nissan is in denial about the 04's having the same problem. Either that, or they want to deal with it on an individual basis, instead of issuing another TSB, so people don't go in hoards to get new tires.

Maybe they fixed it on the 05's :')
Old 12-15-2004, 09:21 AM
KDsZ

I took my '03 Zed to the Dealer in October and was also told the tires had to be ordered and would take about 2 weeks. After three weeks, I called and was told the tires are on back-order and they had no clue when they would arrive. AFter two months, they still have no idea. Either there really is a supply issue, or Nissan is stalling for some reason..
Old 12-15-2004, 09:39 AM
Silver_Racer

Good news. Just got a call from my service adviser. After less than a week, my tires are in. I will be leaving it tonight and picking it up tomorrow. Besides installing the new tires, they will perform an alignment. My service adviser has been a pleasure to work with. He told me that the service manager wanted him to decline the warranty b/c it is a 2004. He told the manager to call me and tell me himself, and he wouldn't. The service adviser took the claim to whoever processes the warranty work and voila! He got the tires from another source, but Nissan is still paying. I realize that this is just a band-aid on the real problem. Either way, it has been good service on my end. By the time these wear out, I will be willing to pay for new tires myself.

As you can see, Nissan will pay for the tires on a 2004! And in order for Nissan to pay for the dealer warranty, they have to recognize it as a problem. You must be dealing with someone who will push the claim through for you though.
Old 12-17-2004, 09:56 AM
Silver_Racer

Well, as stated above, I had both front tires replaced and an alignment done on my 2004.5. GOt the car back yesterday. It is smooooth sailing. Hope it stays that way.
Old 12-20-2004, 08:14 AM
hypeiv

I had a front tire that needed to be replaced b/c i ran over something that tore it up. I went to firestone and they told me the tire was 'nationally backordered'. He was able to find me one in some random shop and picked it up for me the next day. This was paid for with the road hazard warranty the dealer sold me not the nissan warranty.

I had him check for signs of feathering and he didn't see any. I drive a 2004.5 with 8k miles on it.
Old 12-20-2004, 08:38 AM
Thaddeus

Latest from one of the people at NNA Customer Relations, yet another new design is being produced and it is on back order for any vehicles except those that are down waiting for front tires.
Old 12-20-2004, 09:14 AM
Silver_Racer

What new design? Tire design or suspension?
Old 12-20-2004, 10:08 AM
Thaddeus

Originally posted by Silver_Racer
What new design? Tire design or suspension?
Didn't mean to get people excited, just another new tire design......
Old 12-20-2004, 02:20 PM
Jung918

I have a little over 10,000 miles on my 04. The dealer told me that it was on backorder. He did switch out the front two tires for me. I guess I'll have to call Nissan becuase he told me that he couldn't get me new tires for the 04.
Old 12-20-2004, 03:26 PM
Reese

I have been waiting for 2 months now for tires. I had 11000 miles on my 2004 when I took it in. They opened an RO and said they would call when they come in. I keep checking in and still no tires, so last week I get pissed and go by the Bridgestone dealer just to ask if Nissan is yanking my chain and they verified tires are on backorder said it would be about 30 more days. I am to the point know that if I talk on my cell phone I have to put an ear plug in the other ear just to hear the person on the phone....haha that's kinda funny when I think about it. What's really funny is that I still love this car even though the tire issue is driving me insane.
Old 12-20-2004, 04:21 PM
bobS

Well its been 1 and a half weeks, they said the tires would take 2 weeks and then they would call so i'm crossing my fingers. They better come in soon b/c my tires are pretty much bald on the inside, i'm gonna be real pissed if they aren't in before i see wires, i'll leave my car thier and drive a loaner.
Old 12-20-2004, 04:33 PM
Pilot_Z

I took my car in last month at 6500 miles. It is an 03 and the tires started feathering as I suspected. The dealership told me they were on backorder (as I suspected) and to expect them in Jan or Feb. I stopped by the dealership today, and guess what...

***APRIL***

5 friggin months!!!

The dealership said that Nissan will not use other tires in the meantime. So are we shiat out of luck until April or what?

Quick Reply: Are tires really on Backorder from Nissan ??