2003-2009 Nissan 350Z
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

~!UPDATE!~ Tein

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2002, 06:49 AM
max2000jp

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

They didnt lower the car at all it looks like. And yes lowering the car is a main reason to buy springs. It lowers the center of gravity reducing body roll in the process. I would just wait until Eibach or H&R comes out with some springs and some good aftermarket shocks come out(AGX's or Illuminas).
Old 11-06-2002, 06:51 AM
SKiDaZZLe
Charter Member #34

Originally posted by Hedonist
Anyone have more details on Tein's Flex suspension? Are these just coilovers? Do they have adjustable camber plates? What makes the Flex system different from other setups?

Anyone have the spring rates?
you could start here.. http://www.tein.com/flexdamp.html
and here for the EDFC: http://www.tein.com/edfc.html

also, the spring rates are 12kg/mm, or for standard peeps, 671ft-lbs/in. this is both front and back. they do come with pillowball mounts (camber adjusters)

front spring rate adjustment: +224ft-lb/in, -112ft-lb/in
rear spring rate adjustment: +112ft-lb/in, -112ft-lb/in

front drop: -.3in
rear drop: -.6in

front height adj: +1.9in, -2.5in
rear height adj: +.4in, -1.5in

note: these are really stiff... our car stock is probably in the 330-400 range.

some good points about the flex damp, as i was told from a dealer:

unlike most coilovers, in which you lose some spring travel (and force higher spring rates), as you compress the spring to lower the car... on the flex damp, the spring can stay at full length as you lower the car. this way you do not give up spring travel. you can also raise and lower the spring rate without affecting ride height

so they are independent...

hth,

michael
Old 11-06-2002, 06:52 AM
John

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Lowering your car is not the main reason to buy springs... Just because you have a lower center of gravity doesn't mean the car is going to handle better. You have to take in account how the suspension geometry has changed, what the spring rates are, and how the shocks are valved. Ask any road racer...
Old 11-06-2002, 06:56 AM
350zSpeedRacer

That is by far the ugliest Z I've seen yet. I really hope it performs like it's advertised. I can understand putting your name on something you've built, but you can take it too far.

However, VQ, thanks for posting the numbers along with it. At least that way I know they're trying to make up for it's looks. But that car doesn't look lowered at all. Maybe a side by side would help.
Old 11-06-2002, 06:57 AM
John

Thanks for the info Michael!
Old 11-06-2002, 07:08 AM
SKiDaZZLe
Charter Member #34

Originally posted by max2000jp
They didnt lower the car at all it looks like. And yes lowering the car is a main reason to buy springs. It lowers the center of gravity reducing body roll in the process. I would just wait until Eibach or H&R comes out with some springs and some good aftermarket shocks come out(AGX's or Illuminas).
you are so misguided, i dont even know where to start!

if all you want are springs to drop your car... then you dont have any business looking at these coilovers (not to mention discrediting them).. coilovers lower your car by having the ability to change the strut length.

lowering the car with springs lowers then center of gravity, but why force yourself to use progressive rate springs? they only help your car look better lowered (in some opinions..) also, you are stuck with that drop until you change the springs!!

with coilovers, you can drop the car to non-driving lows when you are at a show, then raise it back up and drive home.

in terms of both looks and performance, lowering spring and shocks (even dampening adjustable), cannot even come close to Teins. (or HKS, or any coilover).

but i guess in the end opinions are like a$$holes.... there are alot on this board.. (derivative of original)

m
Old 11-06-2002, 07:57 AM
max2000jp

Originally posted by SKiDaZZLe
you are so misguided, i dont even know where to start!

if all you want are springs to drop your car... then you dont have any business looking at these coilovers (not to mention discrediting them).. coilovers lower your car by having the ability to change the strut length.

lowering the car with springs lowers then center of gravity, but why force yourself to use progressive rate springs? they only help your car look better lowered (in some opinions..) also, you are stuck with that drop until you change the springs!!

with coilovers, you can drop the car to non-driving lows when you are at a show, then raise it back up and drive home.

in terms of both looks and performance, lowering spring and shocks (even dampening adjustable), cannot even come close to Teins. (or HKS, or any coilover).

but i guess in the end opinions are like a$$holes.... there are alot on this board.. (derivative of original)

m
How am I misguided??? I bet 90% of Z owners will not track their car or arent good enough drivers to really take advantage of coilovers. Your post shows that lowering is the main reason to buy coilvers......"with coilovers, you can drop the car to non-driving lows when you are at a show, then raise it back up and drive home. "

Many people dont track their cars, so lowering springs and shocks are the way to go. Hardcore road racers will go with a coilover suspension, all others have it for show.
Old 11-06-2002, 09:46 AM
SKiDaZZLe
Charter Member #34

How am I misguided??? I bet 90% of Z owners will not track their car or arent good enough drivers to really take advantage of coilovers. Your post shows that lowering is the main reason to buy coilvers......"
no, my post shows that coilovers are a better way to lower the car... but the main reason for them is the ability to tune them...

you go try to corner balance your Z with some drop springs...let me know how it goes.

there is no learning curve with coilovers... that's like saying "90% of Z owners arent good enough drivers for a turbo version, so they should buy the non-turbo"

people who are never going to track their cars are buying brake kits... why? i spoke with someone at brembo who says the track model brakes are an overkill, the stock ones are just fine for the street... he actually advised me not to spend $3200 on the 14.1" kit they make...it would be a complete waste.

its all about looks, and personal preference.

like it has been posted before.. speed/performance costs money. if you cant afford/dont want coilovers, then i guess you could settle for some nice Eibach pro-kits/speedlines... just dont go knocking a superior solution...
Old 11-06-2002, 10:14 AM
Alang

In defense of the spring/shock route, there are those of us that want to have a car that handles better than stock but do not have the time/expertise/money to invest in tuning a multi adjustable suspension system. There is a hell of a lot more to tuning a suspension that setting the ride height. Unless its done properly, even the most expensive suspension can hurt handleing. If you just copy someone else's setup, than whats the point of adjustablilty?

By going a spring/shock route there is an assumption that the developing company has "tuned" the combination for increased performace as delivered. Of course real world testing will prove if that is the case, never the less, by going this route, you should get better handleing (than stock) without having to go through the effort of tuning the suspension for a lot less money. You won't have adjustability, so its a bit of a compromise, but for the majority of the Z owners out there it will be fine.
Old 11-06-2002, 10:18 AM
z461

So as I understand, these springs/shocks from TEIN can actually raise and lower height... In addition, you can actually make them softer OR harder than the stock spring rates... That's pretty nice, I was looking for a way to reduce that porpoising and looks like with these you could bring down spring rates so the ride is a bit softer.
Old 11-06-2002, 10:20 AM
max2000jp

Originally posted by SKiDaZZLe
no, my post shows that coilovers are a better way to lower the car... but the main reason for them is the ability to tune them...

you go try to corner balance your Z with some drop springs...let me know how it goes.

there is no learning curve with coilovers... that's like saying "90% of Z owners arent good enough drivers for a turbo version, so they should buy the non-turbo"

people who are never going to track their cars are buying brake kits... why? i spoke with someone at brembo who says the track model brakes are an overkill, the stock ones are just fine for the street... he actually advised me not to spend $3200 on the 14.1" kit they make...it would be a complete waste.
its all about looks, and personal preference.

like it has been posted before.. speed/performance costs money. if you cant afford/dont want coilovers, then i guess you could settle for some nice Eibach pro-kits/speedlines... just dont go knocking a superior solution...
I love it when people with no open wheel racing experience try to explain suspension geometry. Go to a road course and you will actually see what I mean. Again by you saying "its all about looks, and personal preference"....why do you need coilovers??? Its overkill if you dont intend on road racing or auto-xing.
Old 11-06-2002, 10:25 AM
max2000jp

Originally posted by VQracer
No, if you are a "ricer", then yes it is the main reason to buy springs. But if you are a performance enthusiasts like me, then you buy springs for improved handling and performance. The car already has a low center of gravity and TEIN's R&D probably decided that the stock center of gravity is good enough. They just designed a more progressive rate suspension.

Since TEIN designed this as a kit then everything works well with each other. The springs are designed to work with the shocks.

With Eibach springs you only get springs, no shocks. Eibach didn't design the spring to perform specifically with the AGX's, so maximum performance isn't achieved.

I would not wait for Eibach or H&R. I would get a true coilover suspension.

Victor
Hey if you want to impress your friends get the TEIN. I dont see the benefit of coilovers if you dont road race. If you buy them strictly for the street, I hate to tell you that you are a ricer. If you have the extra money to spend on TEINS go ahead, but at least use them how they are intended to be used.
Old 11-06-2002, 10:32 AM
SKiDaZZLe
Charter Member #34

Originally posted by VQracer
Planned for road course and autoX.

Victor
same here... i already won GS, ST and SM in SCCA solo-2. the Z will be an excellent car to auto-x...

now, i can no longer be in speedfreakz, since i turn 26 this month

its still cheaper for you, victor

dont worry about peeps who knock on teins, etc...

it will be my car on their background anyways!!

m
Old 11-06-2002, 10:35 AM
max2000jp

Hey if your going to use them road racing, thats cool. They will need a lot of fine tuning to get them running right. The limiting factor will then be tires. I wouldnt use the stock Bridgestone's on the track.
Old 11-06-2002, 10:43 AM
SKiDaZZLe
Charter Member #34

Hey if your going to use them road racing, thats cool. They will need a lot of fine tuning to get them running right. The limiting factor will then be tires. I wouldnt use the stock Bridgestone's on the track.
good idea

i dont even use stock bridgestone on the street. i changes to S03's as soon as the car came in.

i plan on running michelin pilots on my te-37's for the street, and some good R-compund tires on my stock track wheels on the track.

m
Old 11-06-2002, 10:44 AM
John

The Bridgestones are a great learning tire for the track, as they give a lot of audible feedback and are predictable. After you gain more experience, changing to a better tire is definitely a good idea, but unless you have the experience, save your money, stick with the stock tires, and invest the cash in a few HPDEs...