Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Need help choosing car!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2002, 06:50 PM
JJH

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help choosing car!!!

I've been lurking around for a while reading everything, and i'm determined that i want to get the new Z. Here is my problem, i'm a 19, turning 20 year old student. I'm basically working and going to school full time. This is not a daddy is paying thing. I paid for my current car cash and in full. Please, i really don't want to hear any "your too young to drive a sports car," or daddy is paying, or other comments that some of the younger croud frequently receives. I've been driving a sports car for 3 1/2 years now, and i've been very responsible. Anyways, back to the question at hand. I can easily afford a base Z putting 10K down, but i would really like the enthusiast basically b/c of the limited slip differential. The enthusiast is just out of my reach, that i probably could afford if I waited even longer. In your guy's opinions, should I wait a little longer and put a bigger down payment, or should I go ahead and get the base Z. I could probably get the posi rear out of the junk yard after a while.

Thanks for your opinions,
JJ
Old 11-04-2002, 07:48 PM
flyz33

read my thread fairladyz33, rough road ahead, and wait and make sure you want to get a 350z, but if you do get the base and use the money for other things, you don't need cruise control/traction control unless your and old man, and you can buy a better lsd i'm sure

but i'm sure you'll be happy with either model
Old 11-04-2002, 07:58 PM
JJH

I'm definately getting the Z. There's no ifs, ands ,or buts about that. Speed in a straight line is not an issue as i'm keeping my nitrous kit when I sell my car.
Old 11-04-2002, 08:04 PM
Boomer

Default Re: Need help choosing car!!!

Originally posted by JJH
I've been lurking around for a while reading everything, and i'm determined that i want to get the new Z. Here is my problem, i'm a 19, turning 20 year old student. I'm basically working and going to school full time. This is not a daddy is paying thing. I paid for my current car cash and in full. Please, i really don't want to hear any "your too young to drive a sports car," or daddy is paying, or other comments that some of the younger croud frequently receives. I've been driving a sports car for 3 1/2 years now, and i've been very responsible. Anyways, back to the question at hand. I can easily afford a base Z putting 10K down, but i would really like the enthusiast basically b/c of the limited slip differential. The enthusiast is just out of my reach, that i probably could afford if I waited even longer. In your guy's opinions, should I wait a little longer and put a bigger down payment, or should I go ahead and get the base Z. I could probably get the posi rear out of the junk yard after a while.

Thanks for your opinions,
JJ
I would recommend you wait for the Enthusiast model. It has so much more than the base, you could never duplicate the extra equipment for the $2000 more. I chose the Touring bcause I wanted the leather, etc. but my first choice was the Enthusiast. You can't go wrong. Search ths site for an earlier, more in depth thread about Which is the best model to buy, there is a poll on the site too.. I can't remember where it is but the Enthusiast won as the biggest bang for the buck. Good luck on your purchase, you won't be disappointed whichever model you chose. The Z, in all its forms, is a teriffic car. Go to NissanDriven.com and compare the pkgs if you haven't already and see how many more features you get by comparision.

Feel free to post me back on this. I or many of the others on this site will be glad to help you.

Boomer
Old 11-04-2002, 08:31 PM
JJH

Thanks for the help, I really appreciate it. Yes i do know the difference b/w the packages. In fact, i've been following the car ever since it came out as a concept! I'll do the search and see if I can find the thread. The only reason i'm considering the base is b/c its 2G's less, which means its that much cheaper. I never use the cruise control on my car, and the HID lights are nice, but I can live without them. I don't park it in the garage either, so I really don't need the homelink thing. Driving a Z28, i've learned to live without traction control. Its really not that necessary for me. The only reason I want the enthusiast is b/c of the LSD. I figure i can get that at a junk yard after a while, but its a big pain in the ***.

JJ
Old 11-04-2002, 08:43 PM
ares
Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

if I didnt get the touring, I would have gotten enthusiast, the HIDs are REALLY nice, as a college student, Id imagine you drive home occasionally? the cruise control is the second big option that your not likely to add. and the LSD, thats a pretty serious mod that will toss your warrenty out the window(tho nitrous would as well...) so I would wait the time for the enthusiast.

besides you might not be able to get your hands on one yet anyway, I find enthusiasts and base to be at a premium around here, dealers ordered tourings mainly because they are so expensive(more profit) and most people want leather in a 34000$ car not brakes and rims that few even recognize. base and enthusiast just seem to be too cheap for them or something cause I havent seen one on a lot that wasnt preordered yet.
Old 11-04-2002, 08:46 PM
TJZ

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by JJH
Thanks for the help, I really appreciate it. Yes i do know the difference b/w the packages. In fact, i've been following the car ever since it came out as a concept! I'll do the search and see if I can find the thread. The only reason i'm considering the base is b/c its 2G's less, which means its that much cheaper. I never use the cruise control on my car, and the HID lights are nice, but I can live without them. I don't park it in the garage either, so I really don't need the homelink thing. Driving a Z28, i've learned to live without traction control. Its really not that necessary for me. The only reason I want the enthusiast is b/c of the LSD. I figure i can get that at a junk yard after a while, but its a big pain in the ***.

JJ
You said you can live without all the other stuff aside from the LSD. I say, get the base definately. Guess what? Nismo is coming out with a mechanical LSD this spring. It should be much better than the VLSD that comes stock b/c viscous lsd's tends to lose performance with excessive use/heat (trackday). Another plus about this is, you can wait until things for you are a little easier financially for you to make the purchase.
Old 11-05-2002, 04:34 PM
JJH

My drive home from school is a whopping 10 minutes! LOL I live at home, and go to the local university. The way I figure is that b/w the money i get from my car, money i have saved, and any money i save from now till the time i buy, I should have enough of a down payment to easily afford the monthly payments.
Thanks for the help guys!