Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Owned by Subaru STi

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2004, 09:51 AM
KIKILALA825

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thx for all the input guys!!

My buddy owns a 04 M3, and his older brother ownes a STi. According to their words, on a Straight run, STi can kill M3 due to the weight of M3 is much higher.

It just makes me feel dat those 4 Cylinder car can bust out huge amount of hrsp is just INSAine..

We know we own a great car, 6 cylinder, with very attractive styling.. but i just hated when those fugly car pull up to you , wanted to race u.. and loose...

i guess only way to go is get a S/C or Turbo kit...

one more question, if we simply change the header (any name brand) , how much hrsp do we gain? any input?
Old 12-21-2004, 10:33 AM
Reggi914

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I drove an EVO and it is faster than the Z but other than that, the two cars are not comparable. I never drove the STI so i can comment on it but it sure isnt pretty.
Old 12-21-2004, 11:47 AM
Setter32

I'm probably wastin my breath here. The STI is "slightly" faster in certain conditions. What is with this "owned" or "spanked". I don't freakin get it. It conjures up of images, of being beaten badly.....which is never the case.....with two comparable or semi-comparable drivers. It's gonna be close, be it the STI on top.....or the Z on top. I'm sure most of the NASCAR fans will stick with straight line performace as the defining criteria for a fast car. I'm not one those fans. Roads with turns are my prefference. Put them on the twisties, and with a driver who semi-knows what he's doing......the Z hauls ***. This was brought up by a few people who actually does track time and knows better. Don't know why people keep going back to this.

STIs are good cars. So are the Zs, S2000s, EVOs, etc...... But please, to say they are capable of spanking one another is a stretch. And if you did got spanked, the best upgrade or "mod" you can get is to spend some money on improving your skill set. If I had some spare cash, I would look for a track day.

Last edited by Setter32; 12-21-2004 at 11:52 AM.
Old 12-21-2004, 02:52 PM
KIKILALA825

Setter32, how many times have u run against STi??
on what kind of road condition? i am looking for input from others dat raced with STi..

I have been on track many times, and STi is always a challange..
My buddy drives STi, and it is car fugly dat hauls a$$..
Old 12-21-2004, 03:53 PM
Setter32

Originally posted by KIKILALA825
Setter32, how many times have u run against STi??
on what kind of road condition? i am looking for input from others dat raced with STi..

I have been on track many times, and STi is always a challange..
My buddy drives STi, and it is car fugly dat hauls a$$..
They're all challenges. That's my point. It's not just the STIs. The performance parameters that many of the mentioned cars have are so tight in relation to each other, that in the end.......if you got spanked......it's not the car, it's you. No offense meant. We all got ta crawl before we can walk, or run.

Personally, I would suck in a drag race........cuz it ain't my thing. But in the twisties, I like to think I've learned a thing or two.

To answer your question. Took on an STI once at the track. My guess is the driver skill set was comparable to mine, give or take. This track was twisty and tight. The STI was fast, but it was holding me up on some parts of the track. So my guess is, if given the room I would have had a slightly faster lap time. My Z is stock, even the tyres. Not sure about the STI.

In the canyons (the Ortega hwy in So Cal to be more specific), I've gone against the STI numerous times. Trying to pass in the canyons would be stupid. So basically we end up playin a game of "keep up if you can". Most of the time I end up doing the following, just the luck of the draw I guess. Some I had no problem keeping up, some I had to work hard at it, but none have been able to get a nice gap on me. I got to lead once, and I was slowly but surely pulling away from him. But all of this means jack poo poo. I don't know these other drivers, so I don't know their skill set.

NOTICE: please don't even think about doing what I've just mentioned without knowing the road. I commute on this road for the past 7 years, so I know it reasonably well. And I only go at a sporty pace when traffic is sparse to non-existent, and only when I'm in a rural area. Also I would not advise anybody to tax their skill limits while doing so. Off the track, I would not go beyond 80% of my skill set. Know your limits, and stay well below it. Thanks.

The only sure way to convince me that one car has an absolute advantage over the other, is for me to drive them all........hard......at the track. But this ain't gonna happen. So from my experience going against the STIs and others, I would have to say......don't blame your car (be it the Z, STI, S2000, RX8, or what ever) if you got owned. And this coming from a guy that got "owned" buy a couple of supercharged mini coopers. They sound like wailing babies when they pass you, by the way. Damn that was embarrassing.

Sorry for all the verbage.

Last edited by Setter32; 12-21-2004 at 04:06 PM.
Old 12-21-2004, 04:13 PM
bobS

"Its like dating an ugly girl that can get you off quick. "

LMFAO

My buddy has a sti, its fast, sounds badass, but wait till i get my TT, i spent 28k on my touring with 10k miles on it, spend another 6 grand and i'll have a amazing looking TT japanese sports car *drool*
Old 12-21-2004, 04:26 PM
OZ-Z

as fast as ugly.
Old 12-21-2004, 04:59 PM
ssc

unless u go FI, i think it will be pretty damn impossible to take a sti or evo.
Old 12-21-2004, 05:34 PM
KIKILALA825

ssc unless u go FI, i think it will be pretty damn impossible to take a sti or evo.
I'd Agree with yah.. it is hard... i had enough ppl telling me how good they are on the track. it all depends on the skills.. blah blah blah.. loose is loose.. i wasn't balming our Z, cuz it is a car dat has enough power and very unique styling..

Ppl just assume that others don't drive good as him/herself.. i don't understand..
Old 12-21-2004, 05:55 PM
tractng

Guys,

On a side note about the driver being the difference in the race. It is true!!!

Recently, this old guy (used to be a race car driver) drove me in the S2000 and I almost sh$t in my pants. I cannot image a car can go that fast and through the twists.

Tony
Old 12-21-2004, 05:55 PM
Epsilon

Ive raced a friend of mine with an STI with just a Catback, I can beat him from rolls but only on good days. From a stop, he owns me
Old 12-21-2004, 06:19 PM
Mr_Q

Originally posted by EnthuZiastDrive
seriously man twistied = kill us.
Get adjustable sway bars front and back and twisties won't kill you.

I've beaten a couple WRXs in the twisties even before that. Now I know I could take a couple of the STi's and EVOs that managed to get away from me.

I am still in shock at what a difference in handling sway bars make on this car.
Old 12-21-2004, 06:27 PM
Setter32

Originally posted by Mr_Q

I am still in shock at what a difference in handling sway bars make on this car.
And tyres. The stock ones are sliding on me, though controllable. I'm eye-ing the Eagle F1s for my next set, then those damn screamin minis better watch out.
Old 12-21-2004, 06:44 PM
ranger5oh

I just sold my Z for an STi. Here are my opinions:

Props to the Z
---------------------
Digital Speedo on the dash ( I miss that sooo much)
Good Looks
Engine growl
tad bit better gas mileage

Props to the STi
-------------------------
Fast as F%$#
Handling is about equal to Z
AWD launches so easy
Easily moddable
Interior quality

Honestly, I think we all know we would be driving STis if they didnt look the way they do. In my honest opinion, basically everything is better, except for the looks. I loved my Z, and I would still have it if it had a backseat. Oh well.... gotta have my cake and eat it too.
Old 12-21-2004, 06:46 PM
Armitage
350Z-holic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by ranger5oh
I just sold my Z for an STi. Here are my opinions:

Props to the Z
---------------------
Digital Speedo on the dash ( I miss that sooo much)
Good Looks
Engine growl
tad bit better gas mileage

Props to the STi
-------------------------
Fast as F%$#
Handling is about equal to Z
AWD launches so easy
Easily moddable
Interior quality

Honestly, I think we all know we would be driving STis if they didnt look the way they do. In my honest opinion, basically everything is better, except for the looks. I loved my Z, and I would still have it if it had a backseat. Oh well.... gotta have my cake and eat it too.
You'd take the Sti interior over the Z interior? Do you have pics of the Sti interior?
Old 12-21-2004, 07:06 PM
StarcraftBW

STI and Evo are over rated. I raced both of them from rolling 50-60mph w/ all my mods and using E-shift at 3rd gear....i got them about 2 cars at 110mph. But if you race them at stop....they will get you about 3--4 cars at first but you can catch them up easily at high end.
Old 12-22-2004, 02:51 PM
PhoenixINX

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by StarcraftBW
STI and Evo are over rated. I raced both of them from rolling 50-60mph w/ all my mods and using E-shift at 3rd gear....i got them about 2 cars at 110mph. But if you race them at stop....they will get you about 3--4 cars at first but you can catch them up easily at high end.
Lucky they don't know how to drive...

The STi and EVO have FAR better gearing, and more power... They will especially walk away from a mildly modded Z.
Old 12-22-2004, 02:57 PM
jackie chan

i have never seen a stock wrx or evo(especially evo more like 99)trap more than 103...not saying they dont but I still havent seen it. We do have a few very quick ones around here though
Old 12-22-2004, 03:08 PM
mdacko

i was scared of STI's until my boyfriends old 2001 Mazda MP3 that he turboed (T3) spanked an STI on 4 consecutive highway rolls. i'd be scared from a stop, but if a protege can take it from a roll, the Z can keep up for sure.
Old 12-22-2004, 03:49 PM
BazingerZ

Maybe the problem here is that the people who are afraid of STI's are racing real ones and the people laughing at STI's are racing the same 2.5rs thats modded to LOOK like an STI.
Seriously, my friend is a worse driver than I am and he drives a modded WRX and it is quite obvious that although our cars look and perform great, those subarus have our number.
If this is the best car you will ever afford in your lifetime and thats why no car can ever beat your car then im sorry.
But if your Z can beat an STI and the STI is in the same class as the GTR then what would be the purpose of Nissan bringing over a 60-70k car thats no better than their 30k car.
Seriously folks, you can call the STI ugly, cheap interior, family car, whatever you want. Just stop saying your car can beat them. Just cuz you beat one doesnt mean you can beat them all.

Quick Reply: Owned by Subaru STi