Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Selling my 350Z

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2004, 06:07 PM
jomaxum

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Selling my 350Z

I have had the car for almost two years now and with all the problems, tires, windows, rattles, paint, Bose sound system, and Nissan service it's time to move on and learn a lesson. Nissan has produced a car that their dealerships cannot service properly. They see no difference in servicing the Z vrs. a Sentra. I have learned that when you buy a BMW or other high end auto you get the car plus the service. Nissan has a long way to go in supporting this car.

It is also the last Nissan I will ever buy. They could have made a really great car, but Nissan screwed it up in the end. The tire issue alone will kill resale value and sales of the car in the end. I am getting out before the real damage is done.
Old 12-22-2004, 06:11 PM
BigMoeTaki42

Yeah, I have all those problems too, but I love the car too much to be bothered by them. Good luck with whatever new car you move on to.
Old 12-22-2004, 06:27 PM
reelmcoy

Default Re: Selling my 350Z

Originally posted by jomaxum

It is also the last Nissan I will ever buy. They could have made a really great car, but Nissan screwed it up in the end. The tire issue alone will kill resale value and sales of the car in the end. I am getting out before the real damage is done.
I agree.
Old 12-22-2004, 06:31 PM
King Tut

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Selling my 350Z

I have had the car for almost two years now and with all the problems, tires, windows, rattles, paint, Bose sound system, and Nissan service it's time to move on and learn a lesson. Nissan has produced a car that their dealerships cannot service properly. They see no difference in servicing the Z vrs. a Sentra. I have learned that when you buy a BMW or other high end auto you get the car plus the service. Nissan has a long way to go in supporting this car.

Don't let the door hit you on the way out. Make sure you buy a luxary car and not a sports car next time.
Old 12-22-2004, 06:33 PM
HAWKINS

Good thing you never owned one of the old MGB's or triumphs of the 60's and 70's. You don't know how good you've had it.
Old 12-22-2004, 06:47 PM
Spideynw

hmm, Z=$27k-$35k vehicle. Nissan vehicles in general=$15k-$35k vehicles. BMW=$30k-$100k vehicles. WHAT KIND OF SERVICE DO YOU EXPECT AT NISSAN! Sheesh.

Also, please tell me where else you can get a 2 door, 2 seater, rwd coupe for under $35k? Because if that is what you want, you have to go up to $45k and get a Corvette.

Obviously, if service is that important to you, then you should get a Lexus or BMW. Which means that have a 2 seater, rwd coupe sports car is not important to you.
Old 12-22-2004, 07:15 PM
Chicken

I really have no agst or wish ill will upon those who simply do not like the car. Obviously, many of us do, thus we drive it (and keep it). If you don't like it... sell it. But I do have a few comments...
I have had the car for almost two years now and with all the problems, tires, windows, rattles, paint, Bose sound system, and Nissan service it's time to move on and learn a lesson.
Many, much higher end, more expensive, sports cars are more problematic, but people own and continue to buy them (Ferrari and Porsche comes to mind). You could spend $100K or even a quarter of a million dollars on a car and you are not guaranteed to not have problems. Some of these cars are very unreliable.
Nissan has produced a car that their dealerships cannot service properly. They see no difference in servicing the Z vrs. a Sentra.
If the Z was a $100K car, then I'd see your point, but it's not, and I personally feel that someone who bought a Sentra should receive the same level of service that I do. That said, I understand if you feel that Nissan (or at least your dealer) does not provide a high level of service. You might feel the same way if you had bought a Sentra.
Old 12-22-2004, 07:28 PM
SB Track

I know everyone is getting offended because Nissan service is getting dissed, but it's true. The Infiniti service and treatment I got for my G35c (actually cost less than my Z) was noticeably better. That's outrageous considering the Z is pretty much Nissan's top product in USA.
Old 12-22-2004, 07:47 PM
Lonerider

I'm sorry you feel this way.
Good luck with your next car purchase.
Old 12-22-2004, 08:39 PM
TurK

Default Re: Re: Selling my 350Z

Originally posted by King Tut
Don't let the door hit you on the way out. Make sure you buy a luxary car and not a sports car next time.
Old 12-22-2004, 08:46 PM
Chicken

Originally posted by SB Track
I know everyone is getting offended because Nissan service is getting dissed, but it's true. The Infiniti service and treatment I got for my G35c (actually cost less than my Z) was noticeably better. That's outrageous considering the Z is pretty much Nissan's top product in USA.
That doesn't surprise me, due to the fact that Infinity is a more expensive brand and overall offers more expensive cars. Put another way, while the Z might be on the higher end of Nissan, the G35 is the lowest, bottom end that Infinity offers.
Old 12-22-2004, 08:49 PM
Armitage
350Z-holic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Also remember that no two dealerships are the same. Have you tried going to another dealer?

BTW, what year was your car? Since you've had it for about two years, I'm assuming its a 2003. Usually first year models are known to have issues which the later models work out.

Regardless, good luck with your next purchase. Just go with the knowledge that European quality has slipped beneath that of domestic vehicles. This was in an article I read in one of the automotive magazines; the exact one I cannot remember, however.
Old 12-22-2004, 09:33 PM
Low J.
Banned

yeah, I had HORRIBLE service on my old Nissan from the dealer down the road and swore off Nissans for life. Then I test drove the Z at another dealership and fell in love with the car and heard good things about their service so I'm giving them another chance. As far as the car though, I'm loving my Z like no other car I've ever owned.
Old 12-23-2004, 03:05 AM
HAWKINS

Good friend of mine drives Jaguars....has owned 3 over the past 12 years. Darn cars are in the shop all the time. I kid him about it sometimes and he just smiles and says so what?.....He knows it comes with the territory and loves the cars anyway. I think he'd laugh if told him I was worried that my tire tread might wear out.
Old 12-23-2004, 04:28 AM
MA4

hm, take a huge loss on depreciation or deal with minor problems that all can be fixed...tough choice...

do you sell your house and buy a new one every time your hot water heater breaks?

Good luck with the new car, don't bother to come back and tell us if it works out, but make sure you come back and tell us if it doesn't work out.
Old 12-23-2004, 05:14 AM
Silver_Racer

Sorry to hear that. I have had a few sports cars and have come to one realization.... they will all have problems, even when new.
Old 12-23-2004, 09:01 AM
Darthvol

I love it. "Selling my Z" thread is (for now, at least) on the same page w/a "Buying a Z" thread. I can almost hear Sir Elton John singing "Circle of Life"! Sorry about all the problems you've had, though.
Old 12-24-2004, 09:23 PM
khtm

ouch...
Old 12-25-2004, 05:33 AM
Darthvol

Originally posted by khtm
ouch...
Again, sorry; didn't mean to be a jerk. Was just talking about the thread titles, not the personal situation of jomaxum; I simply couldn't resist the joke.

In all seriousness, the Z has consistently gotten above-average reliability reviews, while most M-Bs and Bimmers have been below average in reliability. By comparison, most Japanese cars are simply more reliable.

Since we're only talking in generalities, jomaxum is correct about the usually better quality of BMW service, but you pay for it. For example, one of my friends buys exclusively Japanese cars, even though he was a BMW service manager for years. His favorite line: "BMW service is a scam." He'll also tell you that BMW makes the lions share of their money, after financing of course, on service of cars outside of warranty, rather than profits on car sales themselves.

In fact, he continues to drive the Japanese makes despite getting a rare Toyota lemon (a new Celica GT which spent about a month during the first year of ownership in the shop).

And if you think everyone's happy with their Bimmers and BMW dealers, check out some BMW forums for horror stories just like you'll hear on almost all auto forums. And I read somewhere that in a survey of German drivers, M-B was dead last in "dependability," behind the American nameplates.

As you might imagine, all my colleagues drive German cars, and they all think I'm some sort of nut because I don't, but here's an example of an exchange I had in court with a friend (who owns a previous generation 5 series) a month or so ago. Me: Hey, are you going to get one of the new 5s? I think they're beautiful cars. She: Oh, I'd love to, but I can't afford it right now. Me: Have you had any trouble with your 5? She: Well, yes, lots, actually.

And I'm not judging a company based on only one person's experiences. I know umpteen people who have had all kinds of trouble from their Porsche, Benz or BMW but will buy another one in the future.

My point is that, while I hate anyone has had all the problems with their car that jomaxum has (don't disagree with your decision to sell a car you've had that many problems with), it would be a mistake to write off Japanese cars, and Nissans in particular, because of one bad car. I've owned four Nissans, and the only serious problem I've had was some bad black paint on a Frontier a few years ago. Only probs. I've had w/my Z is a whistling right mirror and malfunctioning rear window defroster. As car problems go, big whoop. And at 13k miles, still no feathering! But good luck with whatever you choose.
Old 12-25-2004, 07:18 AM
bobS

What about when the skyline GTR comes out? hah IMO the dealer makes the difference. I so far have had great service from my dealer. Up to par with the service my bmw dealer gave me for 4 years. Only difference is there is no flat screen tv, leather couch, free drinks/food like at bmw. Thats ok though. I appreciate the cards i get from nissan wishing me a good holiday and thanking me for buying the car.