Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Thinking of trading my 350z for an STI or an EVO, what do you think?

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2004, 02:33 PM
bobS

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

14's? I've seen people with 6mt z's get anywhere from 13.6-13.8 1/4. STI's are (correct me if i'm wrong) around the 13.1-13.3 range. Plus the money u pay more for a new sti you could mod your z to be faster/better handling. So now the z wins in looks, speed, and handling.
Old 12-30-2004, 02:44 PM
southern_info

Thumbs up

Look at it like this can you drift in an STI like you can in a 350z, i think not. I honestly have to say the 350z would be more fun to drive and if you feel like breaking the tires lose you can. STI is just go for going in straight lines and of course it has handles, but that's when you have to decide what you really want. You can't drift four wheel drive like a rear wheel drive and of course might I add do a "DOUGHNUT"! <~~that's the shizzznit!
Old 12-30-2004, 02:58 PM
OneFast944Turbo

Why doesnt Nissan just solve this problem and make the z more powerful.. and maybe just must make an awd model. Then there would be no need to read or write a thread such as this one..
Old 12-30-2004, 03:42 PM
DrVolkl

There's more to life than going down a 1/4mile track.

On the highway is where the Z is pretty darn close to the STI speed wise...which is where it's count's anyhow.

I wouldn't trade my Z for anything....except a new GTR.
Old 12-30-2004, 05:05 PM
boma

If you want all out power and handling, then go STI or EVO.

I just like the low sporty feel of a 2dr sports car.

How many of us actually put that .5 sec in quarter mile or few tenths in pulling g's into street use?
Old 12-30-2004, 05:13 PM
bobS

I have to admit i am disappointed the z isn't as quick as an sti but then i just can't wait to add some FI b/c then my car will really be unique. NOt to mention the priceless look on the face of the guy in the sti who revs at the stop light and goes PSHHHHHHH and then you rev back and your z goes PSHHHHHHHH
Old 12-30-2004, 10:20 PM
Lonerider

It seems as though you like the Sti better, so I'd go with that. The 5k hit you will take won't feel so bad if it means you'll be able to drive the car that you really want.

I'm sort of in the same situation as you as far as thinking of selling my Z for a Sti and taking a 5k hit.

I love my Z to death and I love the compliments and attention that come along with owning it. However, while the performance is respectable, I bought it with the assumption that adding the Nismo performance parts(to not void warranty) would yield noticeable performance gains to only find out that they don't.

I'm also thinking that as used car prices for the Z begin to drop as the Z ages they will become much more common (at least where I'm at) and all of a sudden having a Z won't feel so special.

Honestly, I think the Sti looks pretty good (not as good as the Z though) and will always remain rare. The car has an agressive, no-nonsense look to it. The performance speaks for itself. The car is unique and it would be cool to have a limited edition model of a car that can hang with the new M3s and other high-end performance cars without high cost maintenance.

Keep in mind that the Sti is getting a styling change in a couple of years so you may want to wait and see how the new ones look.

Good look with your decision. I know it is difficult. If you do decide to go with the Sti. Let me know how you went about it.

Last edited by Lonerider; 12-30-2004 at 10:24 PM.
Old 12-31-2004, 04:22 AM
Santacruzslick
Veteran

Originally posted by OneFast944Turbo
Why doesnt Nissan just solve this problem and make the z more powerful.. and maybe just must make an awd model. Then there would be no need to read or write a thread such as this one..
If only they would create a TT model factory installed.
Old 12-31-2004, 07:00 AM
boma

Originally posted by Lonerider
It seems as though you like the Sti better, so I'd go with that. The 5k hit you will take won't feel so bad if it means you'll be able to drive the car that you really want.

I'm sort of in the same situation as you as far as thinking of selling my Z for a Sti and taking a 5k hit.

I love my Z to death and I love the compliments and attention that come along with owning it. However, while the performance is respectable, I bought it with the assumption that adding the Nismo performance parts(to not void warranty) would yield noticeable performance gains to only find out that they don't.

I'm also thinking that as used car prices for the Z begin to drop as the Z ages they will become much more common (at least where I'm at) and all of a sudden having a Z won't feel so special.

Honestly, I think the Sti looks pretty good (not as good as the Z though) and will always remain rare. The car has an agressive, no-nonsense look to it. The performance speaks for itself. The car is unique and it would be cool to have a limited edition model of a car that can hang with the new M3s and other high-end performance cars without high cost maintenance.

Keep in mind that the Sti is getting a styling change in a couple of years so you may want to wait and see how the new ones look.

Good look with your decision. I know it is difficult. If you do decide to go with the Sti. Let me know how you went about it.
STI prices are dropping in the same way too. I saw one for like 26k?

If they made the Z with TT a good amount of us probably couldn't have afforded it.
Old 01-01-2005, 02:04 PM
orhanz33

Originally posted by southern_info
You can't drift four wheel drive like a rear wheel drive and of course might I add do a "DOUGHNUT"! <~~that's the shizzznit!
STi's do the sickest donuts that i've ever seen!
Old 01-01-2005, 02:22 PM
xjerseyzfinestx

Default ...

durobred... ur z looks so nice why would you want to get rid of it for an sti or evo... you know at one point i was thinking of trading my z in for an evo or sti...but i couldnt.. sometimes when i stare at my z i just think to myself...damn i cant believe i own this ... its such a beautiful car..sti and evo is all hype...stick with ur redline..by the way sweet pic on ur sig..nice wheels.
Old 01-01-2005, 09:24 PM
orhanz33

thanks bro, i was looking at sti's and gcoupes because of the backseat... i don't need one, but definately want one

i'll most likely keep the z, i have my car on autotrader, but i keep telling everyone that's interested that i'll call them back... i never do
Old 01-02-2005, 07:42 AM
LIdrew

Default trade z for STI

Hey all,

I'm new to the site. Have a super black 03 MT touring. We got some snow here in NY and I got stuck in my driveway in an inch of snow.( I need new rears) I've been eyeing the STI for a while now and with the tire feathering and replaced transmission on my Z have been pissed at the quality of the car. So, I went out and test drove the STI...yesterday. White, 05. It was definitely faster, but not by much. I didn't like the feel of being so high up....like riding a horse. Didn't like the shifter or throttle response(maybe not used to turbo). I just want the power to be there immediately. And the spoiler is F'n ugly and useless. They wanted 34k for the car and would only give me 21k for my z..Damn
All in all, the Z is hot, rwd true sports car which is pretty damn quick. STI i super fast but just didn't feel right to me. My GF said STI is UGLY. and I better not get it. And even though my Z has its problems, I question the reliability of a STI when the miles pile on.
Old 01-02-2005, 10:41 AM
Risk

How about an AWD Infinity FX, those are nice, and chick magnets (a buddy of mine has one).
Old 01-02-2005, 12:36 PM
xjerseyzfinestx

Default ...

yea man keep your z...the sti and evo's are like puppy love.. you will like it for a little but then get over it... the z is just to sexy... i cant see a guy taking my z from a subie or mits dealership driving it away from me and handing me the evo or sti.. i wouldnt be able to do it.. four door...big wing...and a box...lets get serious
Old 01-02-2005, 02:04 PM
350Zenophile

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

My question is, have you driven one yet? You may not like the way the power is delivered with turbo lag. Not as pronounced as Evo, but it's there. And to achieve those super car acceleration numbers, you do have to punish the drivetrain with AWD drop clutch launches...fine for automotive journalists, but not considered a warrantable repair by Subaru. I thought the ride was worse than the Z too.

If it's a tire thing, you probably won't be happy with the performace tires that help give the STI it's grippy numbers either...they need replacing every 10k miles.

Also, not a fan of the wing. The car doesn't get respect from the general public for the potent machine it is...it might as well be a riced up Honda to most people. Funny thing, I came out of a movie last night to my car and an STI owner had double parked in the very crowded parking lot. My girlfriend noticed a note under the wiper so we read it out of curiousity: It read:

"NO ONE CARES ABOUT SCRATCHING YOUR TRICKED OUT PIECE OF **** DUMBA55!"

It was stock.
Old 01-02-2005, 02:35 PM
Santacruzslick
Veteran

Originally posted by 350Zenophile
My girlfriend noticed a note under the wiper so we read it out of curiousity: It read:

"NO ONE CARES ABOUT SCRATCHING YOUR TRICKED OUT PIECE OF **** DUMBA55!"

It was stock.
LMFAO!!!
Old 01-02-2005, 02:50 PM
Deceit

I came from the "other side" with a pretty heavily modded 420awhp pump gas evo. The evo is a hell of a car, but I just got bored with it.

If you guys think the Z resale value is bad, the evo is even worse! Stock 03 evos with even 10k-15k on the clock are going for 22-23k.

In my personal opinion, I enjoy driving the Z more than the evo. The evo is pure performance and no luxury, whilist the Z is more of a "sports car", so to speak. Luxury and power. If you're looking to mod, 2 grand will put you well over 300 at the wheels with an evo.

It all depends on what you're looking for really.
Old 01-02-2005, 02:52 PM
agent_smith

As a departing Mitsubishi owner and still an enthusiast of them I suppose I have a view that I'd like to share. I am taking delivery of my 05 6 speed Z tomorrow or Tuesday. I've been ravenous for the car since I ordered it back in late November. One ride in the car was enough to pull me away from any and all other cars in question, including the two afformentioned cars.

I have a good friend with an 04 Evo with about 3k deep in mods. He's basically done with the prep work for a new turbo. He had it pushing 21 psi the second or third day he owned it. It is fast, it handles like no other car that is probably avaiable right now. With said mods, and pretty much maxing the turbo out it ran a 13.4 in steaming hot Louisiana weather with 100% relative humidity and 90 degree weather.

I've ridden in several 1g and 2g DSM cars and they are all very surprising if you don't really know what you are getting into. Questions about turbo lag and engine displacement disappear when you see what could be done with a 2.4 hybrid DSM motor (i.e. 450 bhp on about 19psi with a conservative turbocharger...nuff said. If you dont' believe me visit www.galantspeed.com and see for yourself).

People who still claim Mitsubish to be trash are often still thinking back to the days of the 2g cars which were ever famous for their walking cranks. That was Mitsubishi's goof, but in all honesty there have been no issues of crankwalk with properly rebuilt Evo motors or 1g motors. The fact is that crankwalk was even confined to 95-97 on the 2g motors. Even further confined to 95-97 4g63t motors...thus the arguement that Mitsubishi motors break is a waste of time. All cars break when you put more power down on the ground than it was made for. The only other goof on their part has been a less than stellar transmission design for the DSM cars. A simple call to John Shephard would solve this as his drag talon runs 8's all day long.

The point I suppose I am getting at is this...I can't speak for the STi crowd, but I can speak for the DSM crowd, their cars are great cars also and a lot of the impressions of them here are probably hearsay rather than true claims of experience.

As for the Z/STi/Evo discussion, there are only two cars that are even comparable. If you are in the market for a rally car that has been adorned for street use, then buy an Evo or an STi, as far as the Z goes it is an animal of its own and shoudln't be compared to the Evo and STi.
Old 01-02-2005, 04:09 PM
JonsilvZ

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You should keep your Z. The sti or the evo just dont have the looks. They might be a little quicker but not worth the lose if you traded it in. The Zs resale value is good compared to other Nissans,Hondas,Toyotas. Unless you get a exotic car,depreciation sucks. I'm just waiting for the TT Z if it ever comes out.

Quick Reply: Thinking of trading my 350z for an STI or an EVO, what do you think?