Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Cant Fill My Tank Up!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2005, 04:26 AM
ZpikeZ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It happened to me the first time yesterday at 19,000 miles.
Old 01-05-2005, 12:06 PM
code350z

I've noticed this same problem but with a twist. It always happens at Arco ... never happened to me at chevron or shell. So i stick with chevron.
Old 01-05-2005, 01:18 PM
Jun
350Z-holic

well, i took it the dealer, went with the mechanic to the gas station to fill it up. Proved him the problem. They ordered a new fuel pump. I'll let you guys know if that solves the problem.
Old 01-05-2005, 05:56 PM
pacificwindsurf

I've found the problem seems to pertain to the gas station, and not the car. I've encountered some gas stations that have tremendously powerful gas pressure, and it simply loads too quickly and backs up and then shuts off. I have to fill the tank at 1/4 power and that takes forever. When I simply went to a different station I didn't have that problem.
Old 01-05-2005, 05:59 PM
pacificwindsurf

Oh by the way, I've had terrible experiences at Arco. Their gas is terrible (once in my truck it totally ruined the carburetor.) The truck didn't run the same almost immediately after filling up at Arco. Someone told me there may have been water in the tank. I've also had clerks there steal money and argue when I've paid at the counter. And, they don't accept credit cards at the pump, so if you do pay with an ATM card you have to make two trips to the payment maching in the middle of the terminal ... I could go on and on. Basically they have the cheapest gas and cheapest facilities.

Quote:
I've noticed this same problem but with a twist. It always happens at Arco ... never happened to me at chevron or shell. So i stick with chevron.
Old 01-05-2005, 06:30 PM
tacomaboy

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How can you say its the station and not the car? If it were the station, then every car that bought gas there would have this problem!

Its the car... it may only happen at certain stations, but its still the car.

Took mine to the dealer. They act as if they had never heard of it, which is B.S. But they claimed there is no TSB for the 04s. As you can tell it pisses me off.

Still love my Z though
Old 01-06-2005, 06:14 AM
devildoc

Another vote for the same problem. What's strange, the problem went away for a couple months and just came back yesterday. Go figure?

Ian
Old 01-09-2005, 08:48 PM
code350z

How can you say its the station and not the car? If it were the station, then every car that bought gas there would have this problem!
I've had my Z for over a year now and the pumps at chevron and shell don't have this problems. Maybe i'm just lucky...maybe the shut off sensors are different for every pump. I've also had problems like this before with my honda at Arco.

As for the car, I do notice that when I set the pump in the fill tank it tilts up higher than most cars. Could be where it's placed right on the fender where it flares out.

just my 2cents.
Old 01-09-2005, 10:50 PM
RedShft

well i FINALLY did it!! i was able to get a full tank today with yalls help. just gave it low pressure the whole fill and i topped it off with ease....even though it took 2 hrs(exageration), it got a full belly!! w00t!!
Old 01-10-2005, 02:35 PM
dkny_boi

If you pull the nozzle out a bit and fill it till it clicks off... then fill it more slowly, can you see the fuel almost overflowing, so that when you let go it'll slowly drain down?

If that's the problem you have, don't inconvenience yourself all the time, take it your dealership to have it fixed. Mine told me it was a problem w/ the fuel check valve (the one that closes so fuel doesn't spill, but opens when you refuel), which they went on to replace under warranty. I went from having the problem every single time i tried to fill up (no matter which station), to being able to pump full pressure no matter how much fuel is in my tank.
Old 01-11-2005, 09:23 AM
sq40

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Same Problem Here, '04 Roadster
Old 01-11-2005, 11:51 AM
tacomaboy

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by dkny_boi
If you pull the nozzle out a bit and fill it till it clicks off... then fill it more slowly, can you see the fuel almost overflowing, so that when you let go it'll slowly drain down?

If that's the problem you have, don't inconvenience yourself all the time, take it your dealership to have it fixed. Mine told me it was a problem w/ the fuel check valve (the one that closes so fuel doesn't spill, but opens when you refuel), which they went on to replace under warranty. I went from having the problem every single time i tried to fill up (no matter which station), to being able to pump full pressure no matter how much fuel is in my tank.
Thats what I thought my problem was, unfortunatly my dealership is not as friendly/helpful/honest as yours and denied it was a problem with this vehicle. They took it for a fillup, and like an idiot I did not go with them. They said it filled fine. Do I believe them? No. Can I prove it? No..

Do I want these ****** removing my tank? NO!
Old 01-14-2005, 12:00 PM
Asterix

I think I found the problem.

While visiting my shop that's fixing my Supra, I saw a Track Z on the lift. I asked what was up and they said that someone put diesel fuel into the car by mistake, so they were removing the tank to flush and clean it. They got to remove the differential and part of the exhaust to get to the tank.

Well, the tank is like a saddle over the differential. What this means is if you fill too fast, the filler side of the tank gets full first, then the pump shuts off.

Pump more slowly once you're over half full so the gas doesn't splash back and shut off the pump. I'd guess that some pumps pump faster than others, so the fast ones give the most problem.

That's how Nissan crammed a 20-gallon tank into our little car.

Asterix
Old 01-14-2005, 12:46 PM
Synergy350Z

Happened to me for first time last night, I almost threw the hose on the ground and darted off. Guess that's what 4 hrs of sleep and 25 hrs of work will do to ya. Thanks for the tip though.

-Travis
Old 09-12-2005, 08:13 PM
Bigmikeny21

Yeah i've noticed this problem too...its funny though it only happens at certain gas stations if i remember right...but its a pain in the ***...the best thing to do is barely squeeze that last half or qt of a tank and it'll fill...ive just about topped it off that way...pulling the nozzle out a few inches helps too
Old 09-12-2005, 10:29 PM
elms350Z

I had the same problem but it went away...try different gas stations
Old 09-13-2005, 12:10 AM
04350zTouring

never had this problem on my Z, then again just got it today. Can't even sleep in excitement. I guess i will fill it up tomorrow and we will see. Keeping fingers crossed and hoping it doesn't happen to me.
Old 09-13-2005, 12:13 AM
Leslie

I only fill up at Chevron and it happens different pumps and stations, but when It does, I just turn the nozzle upside down, like I see many others do now, no problems at all since. It happened to me at the first fill up, good thing my husband was there at the time he rides motorcycles and it seems the "turn the nozzle 180 deg is a trick they do as well".

Strange tho as why it happens at some gas stations and not at others, even now when I go to the same station and the same pump on one day would give the problem and then another day it wont, LOL guess the Z is real picky when it comes to fuel tank pressure/air flow etc.