Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Cant Fill My Tank Up!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2005, 10:04 PM
RedShft

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cant Fill My Tank Up!!

this is really getting annoying. everytime i go to the gas station, the nozzle does that popping thing (what it does when the tank is full) at about 1/2 tank. is the feed tube to the gas tank at a weird angle or something so it does this at the normal filling angle? ive tried holding the nozzle at different angles and cant quite seem to get the gas flowing...so i just stop at 1/2 way. anyone else have this problem? ive probably only gotten to fill my tank all the way about 6 times since ive had my car...bought it the first week in November.
Old 01-03-2005, 10:54 PM
mlam002

I think there was a thread floating around where other owners had this similar problem..don't know the answer to it though
Old 01-03-2005, 10:57 PM
oren

i used to have the same problem with my old car, try not to put the nozzle in to deep, or u can put less pressure on the pump handle. (50% pressure)
Old 01-04-2005, 02:22 AM
ttsupra94

Yeah, i barely stick the nozzle in. Gotta be careful not to spill though, it clicks before the tank is full. Then i pretty much turn the handle 90 degrees and try to get as much in as I can. Less pressure is helpful too. Last time I went to the gas station, i think i got the most full tank i've had in a long time, a hair above the full line. usually i never get to the full line
Old 01-04-2005, 05:52 AM
Smoked

I've never had this problem, then again I have just over 2000 miles on the car.
Old 01-04-2005, 06:49 AM
ttsupra94

I didn't notice it when i first had the car either. My sister has a jeep wrangler that does the same thing. I guess it would really stink if you are one of those people that use that latch so you can walk off and do something else. I sit there holding the pump so its not really a big deal to me, i just twist around the nozzle.
Old 01-04-2005, 07:08 AM
MrLoutish

I have found that if I set the handle on the third notch or wide open I sometimes encounter the problem you describe. Not in every case but some times. If I set it on the second notch I do not have any issues. At least that is what has worked for me.

Trending Topics

Old 01-04-2005, 09:32 AM
R.J._Vancouver

I`ve had this, not every time but a few times. Not inserting the nozzle all the way while filling seems to work. Knowing how much fuel I needed (litres here) when I got out to fill helps, and I just go a little past that.
And as mentiond before, giggling the handle around has worked too.
Old 01-04-2005, 09:49 AM
southern_info

You have to pump the gas in on the lowest setting on the pump to achieve filling the tank all the way up on the first time and round to the next dollar. When you pump it fast you won't get it full on the first time and you have to fight with gas backing up to fill it up. It can be a headache so do it slow and take your time!
Old 01-04-2005, 10:25 AM
MadMax76

I remember from previous threads someone said that they flipped the handle upside down and that helped. I really don't know if it would, just something I remember reading here.
Old 01-04-2005, 11:02 AM
tacomaboy

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It happened to me LOTS AND LOTS since I bought my Z, and I had so much trouble just filling it up all the way to 3000 miles. Eventually it setteled down, and now it only shuts off once during a fill.

It used to take me a half hour or so to fill up. The dealership didnt want to believe me, but then again, I didnt want them to touch my car and risk screwing it up, so I let it be and eventually it got better, but not perfect. If its not really bad, I would say live with it, as the only option is to pull the tank.

It is a design flaw, not all of them have it, but it is a problem with the car, as many of them do have it, and I have never heard of another vehicle with this sort of issue. Its pretty lame, but it doesnt ruint he car for me, I still love it.
Old 01-04-2005, 01:21 PM
ROME

I think there is a tsb for it. Take it in to a nissan "technician".
Old 01-04-2005, 01:53 PM
Masterfulks

The bright side is that your car is faster with less gas in it.
Old 01-04-2005, 03:37 PM
KIKILALA825

I just had dat problem recently. I had my car for almost 2 years, and recently it start doing this. At first i thought it is the gas machine, but i found out it is not.

and i use to get a little more above the full bar, but today i can't. and it takes me 20 min to fill dat tank up..

any solutions?
Old 01-04-2005, 05:21 PM
SHO-TIME

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I have had my car for more than 2 yrs and the gas pump problem started early on. I had the same problem as you - shut off at 1/2. But that's when I was pumping at full-blast. After I started to pump at the lowest pressure, it fills up to 95% - still not 100% but better than 50%. I am not aware of any TSB for this problem... if there is, please someone post it in pdf file so I can bring to my dealer.
Old 01-04-2005, 05:26 PM
bobS

I had this happen 2 times the whole 15k miles i owned the car. We don't pump our own gas in jersey hehe but all i did was had them turn the handle upside down and it pumped. I used to have to do that sometimes on my bmw, a lot more frequently than the z
Old 01-04-2005, 06:17 PM
Lonerider

This happened to me once when I first got my Z. Has the car been sitting a while?

I think it is a pressure issue.
I suggest opening the gas twisting the gas cap off slowly before inserting the gas nozzle.

I also agree with the others to not pump the gas on full blast if you're still having the problem.
Old 01-04-2005, 06:24 PM
Kruzr

Happened to me on my first fill up, last week. Pulled the nozzle out a little and it was fine until........I decided to top it up. After washing the gas off, I decided it was full enough.
Old 01-04-2005, 07:53 PM
soldierboy

This just happen to me today.... somehow it refused to let the gas inside the tank... the nozzle kept popping out....when i tried to top off.....me and my friend played with it....you gotta let the pressure out from inside the tank first before bumping... it worked for me... will see again.... I did top it off..
Old 01-04-2005, 08:18 PM
RedShft

thanks yall, i guess next time i try pumping some gas ill try starting off slowly and see what that does. ive tried changing the angle of the handle and it doesnt help too much.

Quick Reply: Cant Fill My Tank Up!!