Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Scared to spin out.

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2005, 05:40 AM
PerfZ

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I do it on purpose on deserted roads, and it's a blast; problem is I wore out the rear tires in about 16,000 miles so now I (try to) keep it to a minimum!
Old 01-07-2005, 07:07 AM
Faluzure

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Speaking of spinning out, I almost f**ked up my Z last night. A friend I haven't seen in a while came over and he freaked out when he saw my Z (I had a 2000 Altima when I last saw him). I took him in a ride and was turning right onto a main road into the flow of incoming cars.

I stepped on the gas a little harder than usual because traffic was coming fast. I had VDC turned off, so I don't know if that contributed to the fact but DAMN. I fish tailed all over the place. While turning right onto the road, I didn't know my Z had that kind of power. I didn't even floor it! My rear end starting swerving towards the left and it almost hit the median curb. I quickly turned the wheel the other way and the tail started swerving towards the right. I let off the gas and the car regained traction but that really scared the **** out of me.

I don't think I'll ever turn VDC off again...
Old 01-07-2005, 07:09 AM
Faluzure

Originally posted by omen68x
Yeah, that's BoA from S. Korea. She's been called "the Britney Spears of Asia." (She's even performed with her.) She can sing in Korean, Japanese, Chinese & English.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...133333-1506402

Yeah, I listen to K-pop & J-pop.
Britney Spears of Korea? The last time I listened to that stuff, it seemed Hyori (Hyolee to some) Lee was the most like Britney.
Old 01-07-2005, 07:10 AM
Smoked

Shrug the *** end of the Z breaks loose more easily than most equivalent cars due to the fact that it comes stock with the crappiest tires for a vehicle of this value.
Old 01-07-2005, 07:14 AM
Faluzure

Originally posted by Smoked
Shrug the *** end of the Z breaks loose more easily than most equivalent cars due to the fact that it comes stock with the crappiest tires for a vehicle of this value.
Really? This is my first car with "performance" anything and I thought the tires were good. I guess I was wrong... Which tires do you recommend to get when I wear these down?

As for the rear end breaking loose, yeah it does... It scared the crap out of me because all I remember was squealing tires, then turning car, and almost hitting the median.
Old 01-07-2005, 07:59 AM
Zexy

I purposely 3/4 guned it one day, and made a turn in an intersection.

To make it short i shat my pants, and i have no clue how i recovered that turn.

The car drifted almost 85 degrees turning sideways. It's crazy how the steering takes strength/control. I guess i have good reflexes.

I am very careful on turns now though. I just take it slow. I guess i got too used to driveing FWD before i had my Z.

Last edited by Zexy; 01-07-2005 at 08:02 AM.
Old 01-07-2005, 08:32 AM
Lerxst

Originally posted by Faluzure
Really? This is my first car with "performance" anything and I thought the tires were good. I guess I was wrong... Which tires do you recommend to get when I wear these down?
Do a comparison on tirerack.com pretty much every other tire that fits our car is FAR superior to the stock Bridgestones.
Old 01-07-2005, 09:19 AM
Beaker02

The more you drive/and the more you drive this car, the more confident you'll be. I started in carts at age 8. I'm now 43. With time you'll know your car, it, and your, limitations. Be careful not to drive over your abilities and get a good feel for the "edge" in safe locations, places where you could loose it and collect it again if needed. A great driving experience is all about control.
Old 01-07-2005, 06:44 PM
TampaZ

My previous car which was also my first car (i'm 18) was a 4th gen. prelude with 160 hp. I got so used to the FWD that when I got the Z which has a more than a few more horses and RWD it took some time getting used to. One day I was headed towards an intersection and the light turned yellow so i gave it some gas and drifted completely around the turn, then i straightened out and gunned it for about 100 yards. It was a full intersection at rush hour. Made me proud haha, damn I wish I could've saw that from another car
Old 01-10-2005, 10:38 AM
Asterix

Practice, practice, then more practice.

As others have said, play with it. Find a parking lot and get it to slide. Do it in the rain. Find a dirt road and slide it around. Panic stops. Slam on those brakes. Without practice you'll never know the limits of the car. Next time it snows, find a parking lot and spin it around. It's not hard to control. The car is quite predictable, but you need practice.

Asterix
Old 01-10-2005, 11:56 AM
Built2shredZ

Only time the backend is going to break loose is when your negotiating a 90 degree turn with to much speed... any car is going to loose traction... if its a FWD it will push thru the intersection where a RWD the backend will swing out... You guys are just driving way to fast and thats why its happening...

I've driven my Z up and down Highway 64 (its the hwy from Palm Desert up to Anza) all the time and they got some serious corners and i've never had any problem driving fast. My Z sticks like glue... its only on those 90 degree turns (such as turning onto another street) where you can loose it that easily...

Of course after your wash your car or when you first drive it on a really cold morning traction is a little iffy until the tires warm up.. If your driving in rain, forget about driving normal, need to drive a lot more slower around corners in it or you will find yourself wrapped around a telephone pole.. this is pretty much true with any sports car with low profile tires..

Last edited by Built2shredZ; 01-10-2005 at 12:01 PM.
Old 01-10-2005, 12:17 PM
julian

Originally posted by Built2shredZ
Only time the backend is going to break loose is when your negotiating a 90 degree turn with to much speed... any car is going to loose traction... if its a FWD it will push thru the intersection where a RWD the backend will swing out... You guys are just driving way to fast and thats why its happening...
no not really. a rwd car will push if it's setup to understeer (and from what the magazines and most people say the z understeers at steady state) and a fwd car can oversteer if it's setup that way. everyone complains about understeering pig this, understeering is bad blah blah blah, and then people fishtail and spin out because they don't know what the hell they're doing.

these guys are fishtailing on rh turns because they're giving too much throttle in the middle of a turn, so backing off on the throttle lets them recover. if you oversteer because of lift throttle, you get back on the gas to recover (and this applies to both rwd and fwd. fwd cars just can't power oversteer).

if you don't know how to control your car without all that electronic gadgetry, you better practice more... in a safe environment, not punching the gas at a crowded intersection in the rain.

edit: i have to go by the magazines' comments since i haven't driven the z on a track or a big empty parking lot and can't speak from first hand experience. the limits of the car are so high i'm not comfortable doing it anywhere else. my miata will power and lift throttle oversteer on the streets.

Last edited by julian; 01-10-2005 at 12:22 PM.
Old 01-10-2005, 12:37 PM
Built2shredZ

I went from a 2000 FWD Prelude to a RWD 350Z, and to me anyways the 350z drives nothing like the FWD hondas i've driven in the past. My Hondas would always push if I went into a corner to fast, where my 350Z has a tendancey to oversteer when pushed to its limits... This is with the cars being in stock form... Just my observation ...

From the sounds of the messages, it would seem most of the poster are punching the accelerator mid turn causing the car to power oversteer (like you said)...
Old 01-10-2005, 02:24 PM
dkny_boi

With a name like z_drifto (if i assume correctly that you like drifting)... i find it kind of funny that you're scared/nervous to have the rear end slide out on you
Old 01-11-2005, 05:42 AM
stu46

hyori is better than boa, imo.
Old 01-11-2005, 11:40 AM
ktm
Banned

"Shrug the *** end of the Z breaks loose more easily than most equivalent cars due to the fact that it comes stock with the crappiest tires for a vehicle of this value."

No, it breaks loose becaues the drivers have no idea how to handle a car with this much power. Yes, lets blame it on the tires instead of our incompetent driving skills. Typical retard comment.
Old 01-11-2005, 11:49 AM
Zexy

Originally posted by ktm

Yes, lets blame it on the tires instead of our incompetent driving skills. Typical retard comment.
What's this guys problem? Click on search and you'll see this guy posting flaming on people, and posting attitude.

Ban this fool.

Last edited by Zexy; 01-11-2005 at 11:53 AM.
Old 01-11-2005, 11:59 AM
ktm
Banned

Don't like it when people hit close to home, hmmm? Oh, and who are you little man?
Old 01-11-2005, 12:33 PM
KYO Z

Hey, what model Z do you have cuz i got the base model and i spun out too. i even spun out going straight because base model lacks the lsd. i am upgrading to the cusco lsd soon. plus i hear that the lsd will help the driver gain control much easier.
Old 01-11-2005, 12:36 PM
skank-a-holic

Originally posted by ktm
Don't like it when people hit close to home, hmmm? Oh, and who are you little man?

Quick Reply: Scared to spin out.