Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Scared to spin out.

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2005, 10:14 PM
z_drifto

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Scared to spin out.

Is anybody else extra careful when turning as to not spin out. I have had more close calls in my Z tahn any other RWD car I have ever driven. I was in a 2003 540i earlier today and it felt like it was much harder to get the rear end to kick out on me. When ever I am turning onto a street I always wait till im perfectly straight before giving it much gas.
Maybe its because I still have the stock tires on the thing. I was just wondering if anybody else is as nervous as I am about it.
Old 01-05-2005, 11:15 PM
nitrousoxidex

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm only a bit nervous when turning fast in the rain. But I usually keep in mind not to go crazy when theres water on the road. Unless I plan on losin control. haha. maybe make my car slide sideways?
Old 01-06-2005, 01:46 AM
Z BOY

i can't do it on dry surface without the vdc off; i'm running stock wheels and tires.
ps: who is that beautiful creature in your sig, and where can i see more of her???!!!
Old 01-06-2005, 02:10 AM
ttsupra94

^Ditto

I always have VDC on, i've slipped tires before on turns but nothing serious. I usually start out slow.
Old 01-06-2005, 05:08 AM
Racer Z
Banned

2 days after X-Mas, it snowed on the 26th.....I was turning left onto an intersection at approx. 15-20MPH and had the rear wheels lose traction briefly....Even though I wasn't going fast, It took a little effort to correct the angle of the car and put her in a straight line....Not looking forward to THAT happening again!
Old 01-06-2005, 05:13 AM
mpol99

I nearly lost it going fast into a turn & giving it gas (on purpose). It was new years eve in 2003 & it the street was COLD (Chicago)

Funny: A "I'm scared to spin out" thread posted by a guy with the word "drift" in his name...... just thought that was funny (z_drifto)
Old 01-06-2005, 11:35 AM
ANXIOUZ

With VDC on I don't really worry about it. But I don't gun it while turning either.
Old 01-06-2005, 12:11 PM
Risk

Default Re: Scared to spin out.

Originally posted by z_drifto
Is anybody else extra careful when turning as to not spin out. I have had more close calls in my Z tahn any other RWD car I have ever driven. I was in a 2003 540i earlier today and it felt like it was much harder to get the rear end to kick out on me. When ever I am turning onto a street I always wait till im perfectly straight before giving it much gas.
Maybe its because I still have the stock tires on the thing. I was just wondering if anybody else is as nervous as I am about it.
I used to have a 740iL. The BMW electronic stability system is by far the best/least invasive that Ive driven. In my 7, I could barely tell it was workin, had to see the light blinking. The 350Z/G35 (Ive had both) system is the exact opposite....you get a little too hot around a bend, and it slaps a big !!NO!! at you, starts shuddering brakes, cuts fuel, winks at your mom and readjusts your mirrors just to **** you off. Well, maybe a few of those were made up, but you get the point.
Old 01-06-2005, 12:39 PM
skank-a-holic

Originally posted by Z BOY

ps: who is that beautiful creature in your sig, and where can i see more of her???!!!
yeah, where do we find her?
Old 01-06-2005, 03:14 PM
Built2shredZ

I'm more affraid of flipping my car over.... no roof gotta hurt..

As far as spinning out, you pretty much have to be 3/4 to full throttle before the back end slides out.... To me its fun Its only shocking the first time it happens to you because your not expecting it...
Old 01-06-2005, 04:38 PM
FLZ_Boy

I would be abit scared of spinning out if I was putting down 3/4 to full throttle on a turn......... In reality, I don't think you guys need to gun it through a turn, unless your on a track or running through the canyons for the hell of it .

P.S. Who's the winking lady

Last edited by FLZ_Boy; 01-06-2005 at 04:42 PM.
Old 01-06-2005, 04:45 PM
xjerseyzfinestx

Default ....

omg new years day i was really REALLY close of crashing.. i was turning it was really cold and it was raining...i have stock tires... i was about to get on route 80 and as i turn the car COMPLETLY drifted i was eating a marshmellow pie while i was turning .. as soon as i felt the car go out .. i dropped the pie and controlled the car.. i seriously do NOT know how i controlled it ... i was already doing about 50 ....im telling you the whole car went basically sideways....my heart was pounding.. the z is a very unforgiving car....you must take it easy.. it loves to tail whip...i seriously dont know how i controlled it lol
Old 01-06-2005, 04:45 PM
Setter32

If you're spinning her, you're doing something wrong. Now I could be wrong, but my guess is that I've probably pushed her harder on the "track", than you've pushed her on the street. And she have never spun on me. On dry surface, it takes a hell of alot for her to brake loose. Now wet surface is a different matter entirely. On wet surfaces, you would be smart to drive in a sane manner.

PS: I also have stock tyres.
Old 01-06-2005, 04:59 PM
SB Track

It's Boa isn't it? (From the bottom writing.) Some Korean pop artist.
Old 01-06-2005, 05:19 PM
ares
Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by Built2shredZ
I'm more affraid of flipping my car over.... no roof gotta hurt..

As far as spinning out, you pretty much have to be 3/4 to full throttle before the back end slides out.... To me its fun Its only shocking the first time it happens to you because your not expecting it...
if it helps any, youd need to catch a curb or something to flip a Z. its got a low enough center of gravity that it will spin to a stop and never flip.

either way, Ive been known to turn off VDC and just sort ride the edge of traction where the back is coming around but just barely. not a full burn where its sliding around everywhere. never had a problem doing either though. cold weather just makes it easier
Old 01-06-2005, 05:43 PM
BigMoeTaki42

Whenever I turn and give it a little much gas, the back end kind of wiggles around a little bit until the VDC tells it to stop. It surprised me the first time, but now it's fun.
Old 01-06-2005, 06:58 PM
FLZ

I find it happens to me occasionally....Usually the adrenalin kicks in and I'm thinking I want to do it again..:-)
Old 01-06-2005, 07:31 PM
omen68x

Originally posted by SB Track
It's Boa isn't it? (From the bottom writing.) Some Korean pop artist.
Yeah, that's BoA from S. Korea. She's been called "the Britney Spears of Asia." (She's even performed with her.) She can sing in Korean, Japanese, Chinese & English.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...133333-1506402

Yeah, I listen to K-pop & J-pop.
Old 01-06-2005, 08:43 PM
zland
Sponsor
Sport Z Magazine

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts

You need to go to the track to really learn the limits of your car and your driving skills as well. You should never push those limits on the street.

My bet is when you get to a track, you will be amazed at how well your car handles. It can be pushed much further than you think but again, please dont do it on the street because your car, or innocent people can get hurt.
Old 01-07-2005, 03:55 AM
FritzMan

Honestly, it's not safe to drive a powerful RWD car if you're nervous of the back end stepping out. Whether you push it or not, the back can inavertantly come out on the street due to cold pavement/tires, ice/snow, etc. You have to prepare yourself for that day or else an expensive accident could happen.

When I first started driving I was always nervous of the car twitching. My father put me in a Skip Barber driver training course where they *purposely* tried to get me to spin out using a wet skid pad, bald rear tires, and eventually they yanked the parking brake without notice. Within a single weekend I became completely comfortable looking out the side window. I've since developed that skill over the years and it's pure reflexes now.

If you can't get to a driving school then attend a local Solo2 event. Go ahead and purposely spin that car so you can see how the car behaves beyond adhesion. You won't find the limit until you've gone beyond it. It won't hurt the tires or your car. If you haven't felt the ABS, mash the brake and see how much effort it takes. Most important rule (track and street) - if you've lost adhestion, *always* look where you want to go, not where you don't.

The good news is that our cars are very balanced and easy to catch. There are car our there with far nastier traits...

Last edited by FritzMan; 01-07-2005 at 03:59 AM.

Quick Reply: Scared to spin out.