Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Scared to spin out.

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2005, 12:40 PM
Faluzure

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by ktm
"Shrug the *** end of the Z breaks loose more easily than most equivalent cars due to the fact that it comes stock with the crappiest tires for a vehicle of this value."

No, it breaks loose becaues the drivers have no idea how to handle a car with this much power. Yes, lets blame it on the tires instead of our incompetent driving skills. Typical retard comment.
I sorta agree with ktm (not on the bashing drivers part). The Z is my first sports car and I have the perf model. I admit that because I don't know the ins and outs of the Z (yet), I was at fault for being incompetent.

I do believe you guys when you say the stock tires aren't the best, but they aren't terribly bad. Had I wrecked, it would've been my fault.
Old 01-11-2005, 01:28 PM
HyperSprite
Mad Scientist

"i even spun out going straight because base model lacks the lsd."

I am not sure I understand this, if you are only driving one wheel, why would it spin out in a straight line?

Chris
Old 01-11-2005, 01:46 PM
Faluzure

Maybe he floored it and had the wheel slightly turned. I did that once and did a donut. (Thank god I was in an empty parking lot).
Old 01-11-2005, 02:05 PM
ktm
Banned

People read into my posts as they see fit. Some people take offense because they feel insulted (which usually implies that they have been "blaming it on the tires" so to speak).

The tires on the Z are fine. You just can't handle 274 ft-lbs of torque (yes, I know its crank) yet. Stop blaming everything/everyone else and look in the mirror first. A majority of accidents are the fault of PEOPLE, not parts.

Not having the limited slip differential (LSD) would not cause you to spin out. However, not have VDC or TC would explain your spin outs.
Old 01-11-2005, 04:01 PM
alienx

These posts crack me up. I'm not making fun of you, but this is just like all those VDC-off posts.

You guys must all have way more powerful Z's than I got.

I guess if my legs were to violently spasm as I turned a corner in the rain with the VDC off, I might get a little out of shape. Other than that freak occurance though and I feel pretty in control.

Again, please don't take this as an attack, I just don't see who everyone else is loosing control of there cars.
Old 01-11-2005, 08:13 PM
KYO Z

Actually my Z spun out during an upshift from 2nd to 3rd gear. My friend wanted to feel the power of the Z since he never been in one b4. I was driving in a 3 lane road that was clear of all cars and decided to gas it, as i shifted the car suddenly started to spin out of control. Definetly one of the scariest feelings, especially since i didint expect the car to spin going in a straight line. I am guessing because it is cold here in NY and the car comes with summer only tires ,without an lsd the car reacted like this. Does anyone else have the base model here? And have you dealt with anything like this b4 or atleast feel the car pull to one side while shifting quickly? Thanks for any comments.
Old 01-11-2005, 11:15 PM
elphkotm

Learn to drive smoothly. I've driven the Z and it's no where near as bad as my S2000. The S will bite you hard if you don't drive smoothly. The Z is much more composed at the limit. Don't jerk the steering wheel and attack the corner, smoothly transition into it. Do not give power when taking a corner. Slow down to the appropriate speed and then take the turn. Do not give power until you feel like the car is 'straight'. So many of these people coming from FWD cars give power through the whole corner. Once you become a better driver you will be able to hold power through a corner without oversteering, as well as get on the power earlier when exiting a corner. If you feel like you've come into a corner too hot, if you can, don't 'take it'. Let the car go wide and push into the corner a bit.

Road racers have a saying: Slow in, fast out. Fast in, slow out. The slower you come in, the easier it is to execute the turn and the earlier you are able to get on the gas.
Old 01-11-2005, 11:33 PM
Built2shredZ

Originally posted by KYO Z
Actually my Z spun out during an upshift from 2nd to 3rd gear. My friend wanted to feel the power of the Z since he never been in one b4. I was driving in a 3 lane road that was clear of all cars and decided to gas it, as i shifted the car suddenly started to spin out of control. Definetly one of the scariest feelings, especially since i didint expect the car to spin going in a straight line. I am guessing because it is cold here in NY and the car comes with summer only tires ,without an lsd the car reacted like this. Does anyone else have the base model here? And have you dealt with anything like this b4 or atleast feel the car pull to one side while shifting quickly? Thanks for any comments.
Driving full throttle and shifting fast will break the back end loose in a straight line... sounds like you panic and either tried to correct and messed up or you slammed on the breaks or a combo of both and sent it into a spin... I've been driving the Z for over 6 months now and its a very controlable car.. you just have to get used to driving a RWD with lots of torque, especialy if your coming from a FWD Honda or Toyota... Or it could of been a freak occurance... <shrug>
Old 01-12-2005, 02:53 PM
KYO Z

Hey Built2shredZ, thanks for the reply. Yes i over corrected, i dont remember slamming on the brakes tho but i may have. Just wondering if your Z is the base model aswell.
Old 01-12-2005, 03:27 PM
jinsei888

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Scared to spin out.

Originally posted by z_drifto
Is anybody else extra careful when turning as to not spin out. I have had more close calls in my Z tahn any other RWD car I have ever driven. I was in a 2003 540i earlier today and it felt like it was much harder to get the rear end to kick out on me. When ever I am turning onto a street I always wait till im perfectly straight before giving it much gas.
Maybe its because I still have the stock tires on the thing. I was just wondering if anybody else is as nervous as I am about it.
LoL! I think it's so ironic that your SN is z_DRIFTO and your scared of spinning out the rear tires lol

just messin with yah haha
Old 01-12-2005, 09:05 PM
rolling

i just wish the hel li could FIND a place to "expiriment and Learn " the handeling charastics of my Z mine might be different that all yours b-cuz i dont have the staggered tire/ wheel sizes
i have 175/ 40 / 18 all arround and the adjustable shox that can reduce understeer by allot or change them to get more oversteer if you want, but A place a place my kingdom for a Place!! hehe
Old 01-12-2005, 09:26 PM
HyperSprite
Mad Scientist

Originally posted by rolling
175/ 40 / 18 all arround
You have 175/40/18s all around? Do they even make that size?
Old 01-12-2005, 10:34 PM
rolling

OOPS sory my great typin skillz!!
275 / 40/ 18

could you imagine the burnies i could do with 175's hehe