Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Read this thread about tire wear......

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2005, 05:58 AM
uro279

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, I have a track Z with s-tune suspension and S03's. My tires are now down to 4/32 with even where after seeing both street and track days. Maybe the s-tune made a diff along with the S03's?
Old 01-08-2005, 08:27 AM
dnguyent

Originally posted by DBZ
Are you kidding me? The RE040 is the most horrible OEM tire out there. I am an '01 IS300 owner and it was all over the forums when the IS300 came out on the market in 2000. They were known as "blowtenzas" and the RE040 was OEM tire for the Audi TT, previous generation S4 and a few other vehicles. Both Audi and Lexus offered voluntary recalls on the RE040's and offered customers a choice to switch to Dunlops or Goodyears free of charge. Unfortunately, manufacturers do cost cutting where it matters quite a bit, the tires. It is too bad Nissan decided to stock the Z with the RE040's.
I'm aware of some prior problems that IS300 owners had. Wasn't the sidewalls bulging on those the older versions of the tire? Did it cup and roar too?

My first premonition was to blame the tires, and that's why I bought another brand after the RE040 wore out. Well, my T1S are doing the exact same thing, so I've eliminated one parameter.
Old 01-08-2005, 12:59 PM
DBZ

You know what's funny, is that back in the day, Nissan had a similar tire wear issue with the last gen. Pathfinders and some QX4's because they were stocked with Bridgestones that were cupping. They also offered a replacement policy where they would replace the Bridgestones with Michelins. It made a big difference however the problem never went away. In the end it was secretly know in the industry that it was an inherent design flaw in the front suspension that was causing this. Something about the vehicle being designed as a 4WD but a majority of them being sold were 2WD.

Anyways, the brand of tires make some difference but we may be fuct terms of the design. This will be the price to pay for owning a Z, which acceptable to a lot of folks now, but once the design gets long on tooth, people will buy other vehicles.
Old 01-09-2005, 07:54 AM
MyV6IsFast3r

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Everyone's talking about the rear tires, correct? Someone mentioned something about front tires. The inside of my rear tires are all to hell and i only have 6K on the car. As for the fronts I have already had them replaced due to thumping. Nissan said they had low spots in them and replaced them. The wear is all fine and dandy with a sports car i just wish that i knew this before hand. I reciently bought 19" rims and some one said "it's a kid thing, quit your bit*hen and buy new tires." Well, my rear tires are $389 a peice. Yeah, im still somewhat of a kid, im 20, but im putting myself through college and I dont have the money to buy new tires ever 6K miles, so that's why im buying adjustable camber arms with the rims. That's my solution, yeah im going to sacrifice a little handeling but i dont drive the **** out of my car anyway. So that's my .02 cents. All depends on how you drive your car and how long you want your tires to last.
Old 01-09-2005, 12:21 PM
dnguyent

Originally posted by MyV6IsFaster
Everyone's talking about the rear tires, correct? Someone mentioned something about front tires. The inside of my rear tires are all to hell and i only have 6K on the car. ...All depends on how you drive your car and how long you want your tires to last.
Well, I've been talking about the front tires. My rear tires look like they should last about 25k miles...seriously. I do track days, but I don't do burnouts or rip it up on public roads.

If your rear tires are only lasting 6k miles, and you are driving normally, you really need to check your toe back there. The camber does tend to make the inside tread wear a little quicker than the outside, but if your toe is off, then your tires are going to wear at a much more accelerated rate.