2003-2009 Nissan 350Z
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question for Automatic 04 350Z owners?

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2005, 04:37 PM
bellos

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question for Automatic 04 350Z owners?

I am a fun of manual but I found a good used 04 touring auto...
From your experience is the auto lagging in performance compared to manual or it will go unoticed?

Is ther anything else to consider for an auto?
Old 01-16-2005, 04:45 PM
Jakillo

I have an 03' touring auto, I bought it at first because it was a damn good deal compared to the stick, plus it came with a DVD player. But it turns out that the auto is great for everyday driving, I have 2 40 mile drives everyday usually in rush hour, so driving home is a *****. But then when im out for fun, I put it in the manul type mode and it feels awesome. I think it will go unoticed. I drove the manual one before i went with auto, they are 2 different animals.
Old 01-16-2005, 05:42 PM
EdgeOfSanity

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

straight line performance is about the same, thats about it. Manual transmissions belong in sports cars, i'd pay extra for one if i had to.
Old 01-16-2005, 07:11 PM
zmann

I drove the 6 speed Enthusiast Roadster for 2 months and traded for the auto Touring Roadster. I have to tell you I miss the stick occaisionally, but I am very happy with the auto. The manual mode is very satisfying. Not the same, but different, and not a bad different. If I had my way, I'd have one of each (grin). But I'm not as disappointed going with the auto as i thought I would be (I traded because I could not adjust to the seating and clutching of the manual Z; have driven other manuals for years without problems...but bad back won out). I'm almost of the opinion now that a legitimate stick will never return to my garage so long as I can get an auto with a great performing manul shift mode. Our FX45 has the manual shift and it's all good! You should go with your heart, but you won't be disappointed, I don't think, with the auto. Auto seems to get a bad rap from some, but drive it and you'll be a believer...its not the auto of old!
Old 01-16-2005, 07:24 PM
BobaFettm

Thanks for that post Zmann! I was wondering the same questions!... have you ever drove a Mercedes SMT trans? I wondered how it compared to it
Old 01-16-2005, 07:38 PM
Jakillo

My dad has a manual mode on his benz which is a sportscar and its not anywhere close to the Z in terms of being like a true manual.
Old 01-17-2005, 06:35 AM
zmann

I can only speak to driving one other sport shift transmission and that was in a rental volvo (I don't even remember which model). I remember it seemed to shift for me if I didn't shift soon enough or when it thought I should. That left me with an unfavorable impression of sport shifts. I also read where some others (maybe Chrysler's?) would do the same, i.e., if you were getting up in the revs, it would automatically shift. To that I say, what is the point. That is why I was very pleased with the Nissan 5 speed auto's with manual shift that will let you take it all the way to red line and rev limiter and still won't shift! I'm ok with auto downshifts, but even those don't occur until you are pretty much at a stop. And also with Nissan as opposed to even the sport shift on the Lexus IS (at least the 2002 model which my son's friend's father has) he says you can't start out in first gear, only second. So, while it will never be an absolute substitute for a manual, Nissan seems to be doing it better than most. And now I read how they've tweaked the downshifts for the 05 models...

Anyway, I'd like to drive a stick again someday, but the auto with manual shift mode is just the height of practicality on one hand and gives you the fun of performance on the other. To me, it is a win-win. I don't think they will ever get the respect of a true manual, but there again, I'd have to agree. The ultimate control, and in a sports car that is what it is all about, in my mind only comes when rowing your own gears. But for the car that has to fulfill both practical needs as well as serve as entertainment, this blend of technology is a great option to have!
srm
Old 01-17-2005, 10:42 AM
JonsilvZ

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

All Benz with autos have a torque converter just like the Zs auto. A true SMT would be the Ferrari,M3 which use a auto clutch. But I test drove a SMG M3 and works the same way as my Z. I thought it shifted quicker but unnoticeable. I could hold gears,skip so its got controls over the gears.
Old 01-17-2005, 01:16 PM
sentry65
the burninator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I owned an auto 2004 enthusiast Z for 4 months before trading it in for a slightly used 2003 track model with 1468 miles on it.

It's the BEST auto I've ever driven, not that I've driven every auto car.

It shifts like it's supposed to, it's fast, it's smooth, it has a manual mode that works well.

Sometimes I really wish I had the auto back because of how much smoother it is than the 6 speed. (especially wish that now sometimes now that my car is much rougher and harder to drive with my mods)

There's of course usually going to be more maintinence on a manual than an auto with changing clutches and trans and clut fluid etc
Old 01-17-2005, 04:51 PM
twinship

The auto in manual mode will never take the place of a stick. But it comes close. And having the option of switching over to full auto... priceless!
Old 01-17-2005, 09:21 PM
BobaFettm

Originally posted by zmann
....Nissan 5 speed auto's with manual shift that will let you take it all the way to red line and rev limiter and still won't shift!
WOW! I'm really impressed! I can't wait to go and test drive one of these! Thats the part I hated about the Auto in the Xfire... is that it will automatically shift you once you get near redline...
Old 01-18-2005, 05:00 AM
sluggoZ

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally posted by twinship
The auto in manual mode will never take the place of a stick. But it comes close. And having the option of switching over to full auto... priceless!

I like that...........priceless cool!
Old 01-18-2005, 10:16 AM
Built2shredZ

I have a 6MT 350ZR and my brother has a auto 350ZR, The Auto is definatly not as fun as the manual, but there are times when i've been in heavy traffic in San Diego I wish I had the Auto....
Old 01-18-2005, 10:36 AM
jflaxx69

Default Commuter

I am a commuter who puts about 5 to 600 miles on my Z a week. I love the car, I wish I wasn't putting so many miles on it but it is one of those cars that everytime you get in it you fall in love again so....sniff sniff.....just kidding. Anyway, I have a permanant injury in my right leg and get cramps and pains a lot while driving but really prefer auto over manual b/c of the commute. I'm sure I would have loved to have the manual but I think just for sunday "driving". The tiptronic is doing great and I'm glad I don't commute in a ford focus ((not that there is anything wrong with that)). Cheers
Old 01-18-2005, 03:38 PM
SteveZ33

Originally posted by Built2shredZ
I have a 6MT 350ZR and my brother has a auto 350ZR, The Auto is definatly not as fun as the manual, but there are times when i've been in heavy traffic in San Diego I wish I had the Auto....
Have you and your brother ever compared the 2 cars as far as acceleration?
Old 01-18-2005, 06:25 PM
sluggoZ

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally posted by SteveZ33
Have you and your brother ever compared the 2 cars as far as acceleration?
From my experience....at take off, the auto will out-do the shift!
Old 01-18-2005, 06:43 PM
Built2shredZ

I raced him with my G35 Sedan 6MT and it was dead even from take off up to about 70 mph when we backed off... Only thing is I had 3 people in my car and he was by himself... I've yet to race him in my 350z...

A Manual will take a Automatic every time IF the driver is good with a manual, otherwise the Auto will take him if he sucks...
Old 01-18-2005, 10:52 PM
rolling

Heres by bit,
The very first z i test drove was a 6mt track, i was hooked and sold!! (didnt let the salesman know of course) had it for a month, traded for a auto was very nice and quick, but i found myself forgetting i was in " manual mode" and bounced of the rev limiter a few times heh, for my style of driving the auto wasnt well suited i didnt like having a delay for the revs to come down to shift and not always shifting when i needed it too BUT it IS great arround the city and downtown for stop and go traffic,

I simply prefer beiing in %100 control and like skipping gears quite a bit, and not having to use the breaks as much,

but performance wise its very close you would problaby get to your destination as fast as a 6mt its how you get there thats youll enjoy!!
Old 01-19-2005, 12:04 AM
shimz350z

hmm look at my sig..I test drove the manual as well and wanted one..but circumstances led me to auto. I'm very happy and I've hung with some manuals. I personally think leaving it in auto if faster and it shifts at the right rpm I believe. I wanna track the car so badly =) See what I get.