Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

married couples - who drives the Z ?

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2005, 09:59 PM
pacificwindsurf

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default married couples - who drives the Z ?

Has anyone had a similiar scenario?

We had two cars, a 93 Nissan pick-up and a 98 Altima. The truck was mine, the Altima my wife's. The truck had a manual transmission, the Altima an automatic. My wife can't drive a manual.

We carpooled together, and have no kids (yet) so we decided to keep the pickup for projects and hauling stuff, and we would drive the Z to work together. Neither of us really loved the Altima either; it was older and a dated color. So we sold the Altima and bought a Z.

Just a few weeks after buying our new Z my wife accepts a new job in the suburbs while I still work in the downtown city. Now guess who needs to drive the Z to work And now I find myself commuting in the old pickup again.

I know a lot of families where the guy always drives the older car and the wife always gets the newer car. (At least that was my parents) But in this situation I was primarily the one who wanted the Z, so it's a bummer that I lost it as a commuter car.

Are there any other Z-less guys out there with a similar scenario?

My hope is that when we have kids we'll have to buy her a family car and I might have the Z back to commute in. But until then, what a bummer!

That said, the Z is probably a safer car and I feel better with her driving it rather than our older car. But then again, with all the attention which it attracts I sometimes worry that it puts her in danger of a car jacking or worse.

Signed,

"Married with no kids and a Z. "

Last edited by pacificwindsurf; 01-18-2005 at 10:01 PM.
Old 01-19-2005, 03:26 AM
skank-a-holic

Its time for your wife to learn how to drive manual! Lets say theres an emergency and for some reason the Z is down or has a flat or whatever... she really needs to learn.

With that said... after she learns, take turns driving it to work
Old 01-19-2005, 03:29 AM
skank-a-holic

Oh, and BTW... im married and my wife drives a 03 stang thats "hers" and me the Z
Old 01-19-2005, 05:37 AM
asatyss

I drive the Z and the wifey drives her Accord. We are getting rid of it and she is getting a new XTerra when they finally hit the showrooms at the end of Feb. or beginnning of March.

In fact, she told me the other day that she didn't really like driving the Z because she was so low to the ground (Hence, the reason she wants an SUV).

Another funny thing...she always bitches when we ride in the Z because there is nowhere for her to put her purse. I guess it is something I have never had to deal with. I always tell her, that the inconvienence of no place for her purse is greatly outweighed by the cool factor of riding in a Z...that hasn't convinced her yet.
Old 01-19-2005, 05:50 AM
stevem

Buy another Z for yourself and forget the kids. Believe me, it will be alot cheaper!
Old 01-19-2005, 06:36 AM
Low J.
Banned

yeah, I drive the Z cuz it's my car....the wife has her own. Sprout some nads and put the ol' foot down.....either that or do what I did and buy her what she wants so you don't have an issue
Old 01-19-2005, 08:01 AM
ANXIOUZ

My wife hates the Z (good for me!) so she drives her Explorer SportTrac (which I hate). It balances out.
Old 01-19-2005, 11:20 AM
Road Warrior

me too...the wife hates my z but that doesn't matter because i am the beneficiary. however, she has hated every sports car i have owned so what's that tell you???

no honey, its not a mid life crisis or otherwise and won't be until i get my C06 vette
Old 01-19-2005, 11:43 AM
kcobean

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm very lucky. My wife is completely OK with the fact that the Z is my car. A few months ago, our Montero Sport (which was really her car) got totalled in an accident. I replaced it with a Fully loaded Navigator, so she doesn't feel like I got the nice car and she didn't. Now we're both happy with our respective cars.
Old 01-19-2005, 12:21 PM
MrLoutish

My wife and I were both driving 8 year old Hondas when we got married. (His = coupe manual Hers= 4dr auto)

We needed new cars but couldn't afford for each of us to get our fist choice of vehicle simultaneously. So we made a deal. I got my first choice this time (His=Brick 350Z) and she got here second choice (read: more affordable Hers=Jeep Liberty). In exchange for getting top priority this time I agreed that when her Liberty is paid off she gets her top choice and I keep my 10 year old Honda for winters in Minnesota and the Z for summer time.

Interestingly while my wife appreciates the "cool factor" of the Z and sees the smile it puts on my face she has almost no interest in driving or riding in it because it, "makes me car sick" and "rides too low" or "I can't see the front of the car" or, my personal favorite, "people look at me funny". I tried to explain this was just your harmless garden variety car nut, who when they see a nice or interesting car go buy will look and possible point while saying, "look at that nice or interesting car". She looked at me like I was crazy. I love her to death but she just doesn't get "car people".
Old 01-19-2005, 03:40 PM
The Brickyard Rat
350Z-holic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Fortunately, my wife much prefers the high seating position in our Highlander so that's her car.

She does not like driving the Z because it sits so low and has manny tranny. What's funny is she actually shifts better/smoother than I do.

But she does like riding in the Zzzz.
Old 01-19-2005, 03:56 PM
LanceG33

My live in GF is insured to drive the Z and loves the car. Although, she admits to being a little afraid of that much power and messing up a vehicle that I have pored so much love into.
Old 01-19-2005, 05:21 PM
drift350

my fiancee drives my 4Runner, i drive the Z we bought together.

she has to park in a parking garage at work, and the 4Runner is much more resistant to door dings than the Z. i on the other hand dont need to work, so the Z stays with me.
Old 01-19-2005, 05:33 PM
DBZCat

this is why you should have gotten a manual Z, then we wouldn't be having this conversation would we???

well, the Z is my car, and my husband drives it everynow and then, but he is afraid to because he is afraid he will do somoething wrong to the car, he likes he truck anyways...

Actuaully it is pretty funny, when he drives the car and people ask about it, he is like I dunno it's my wife... LOL, can't believe he doesn't pass it off as his own car..
Old 01-19-2005, 05:44 PM
frankmusic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Cool You say SUV, . . . .I say 350Z!

Originally posted by maximZ
My wife hates the Z (good for me!) so she drives her Explorer SportTrac (which I hate). It balances out.
Yup! Same here! My wife drives the 5 spd Rodeo (she says she feels much safer) and I drive the Z (almost exclusively) . . . . what a perfect arrangment! Some things in life just have a way of working themselves out!
Yeah Baby!!
Old 01-19-2005, 11:16 PM
Donny_b

Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts

My wife refuses to drive the Z. Shes drive the Armada. May I recommend that you sell the truck and get and SUV or a nicer truck that can double as a family vehicle. Good Luck...db
Old 01-19-2005, 11:53 PM
Low J.
Banned

Xterra, Explorer, Liberty, Highlander, 4Runner, Rodeo, Armada, Navigator.......does everyone's wife have an SUV???? What ever happened to CARS!!!!!!! Every time a woman drives a gas hogging house sized SUV by herself a puppy dies..........seriously, a Navigator??? What for exactly???

Last edited by Low J.; 01-19-2005 at 11:55 PM.
Old 01-20-2005, 02:22 AM
ihatethatbobbarker

both me and my mom have Zs neither of us let my dad drive them.
Old 01-20-2005, 02:58 AM
Sz28r

I wife loves to drive the Z, I taught her how to drive a manual transmission when we first met (25 years ago) - - I've always had her drive the newer car in the family, so a couple of months after we got the Z we bought a Murano - - she loves it - - everybody's happy - - get your wife a new car/suv, she deserves it

Steve
Old 01-20-2005, 06:20 AM
Low J.
Banned

Originally posted by Sz28r
I wife loves to drive the Z, I taught her how to drive a manual transmission when we first met (25 years ago) - - I've always had her drive the newer car in the family, so a couple of months after we got the Z we bought a Murano - - she loves it - - everybody's happy - - get your wife a new car/suv, she deserves it

Steve

Xterra, Explorer, Liberty, Highlander, 4Runner, Rodeo, Armada, Navigator, Murano.......does everyone's wife have an SUV???? What ever happened to CARS!!!!!!! Every time a woman drives a gas hogging house sized SUV by herself a puppy dies..........seriously, a Navigator??? What for exactly???

Quick Reply: married couples - who drives the Z ?