Sponsored by:

The Arctic-Z

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2005, 04:39 PM
MrAurora

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The Arctic-Z

Hi All,

I am a Z owner (performance) who has been lurking the board for quite some time. I have gotten alot of good info off the board, so first I would like to say thanks to everyone who shares thier knowledge. I have never had anything to contribute since most of you contributors are far more knowledgeable than myself.

With that said, I think I finally have something to contribute !!

I live in connecticut and I was having quite the tough time deciding whether to put snow tires on the Z. I heard everything from they make a big difference, to no difference at all. Well, I finally pulled the trigger and bought a wheel and tire package from tire rack. I can say first hand, that blizzaks make all the difference in the world. My Z is a daily driver. I commute 40 miles each way to work (I know, it's cruel to my baby !!!!!). I can honestly say that I have no concerns about getting home no matter mother nature throws my way. Since words can't make someone understand the difference these things make (good to someone can be bad to someone else), I had my brother come for a ride in the last storm, and we shot some video.

So, this is my contribution.

I thought it might help any of you toying with the snowtire decision. Be warned. The clip is in quicktime format and it's about 52mb, so you will probably want to have broadband if your going to attempt the download.

Like I said, if it helps one person, I would be a happy camper.
And if you never see the white stuff, you might get a kick out of the abuse we New Englanders put our Z's through !!

Right Click / Save As the link::

Arctic-Z

Old 01-21-2005, 06:34 PM
bellos

You have 17 or 18" wheels?

How is the handling with blizzaks when it is dry ?
Is noise significantly more compared to the stock tires?
How is the ride comfort in your daily commute with the blizzaks?
Old 01-21-2005, 06:37 PM
pj550v12

Nice vid, huge file though, what part of CT are you in, I'm havin the hardest time finding CT members on this board.
Old 01-21-2005, 06:46 PM
MrAurora

I am north of Danbury. What part are you from ?
Old 01-21-2005, 06:47 PM
MrAurora

Duh.... nevermond. I see it now.
Old 01-21-2005, 07:02 PM
MrAurora

Well, the ride sucked at first. After about 200 miles though, it's not so bad. Definately not like the summer tires though. They actually scared the poo out of me the first couple of days driving them on dry road.

The noise ? Well, I traded up my stock bose 10" woofer for an aftermarket 10", and a new amp...so I hardly hear the tires at all... haha. I don't think they are too loud though. I am impressed with them really.

As far as the commute goes, well I just hate the commute altogether. Alot of it is stop and go, and only about 13 minutes of my drive is highway but they are definately acceptable. Like I said, they are not like summer tires, but nothing worth complaing about either. I have the WS-50's on 17" wheels. I wouldn't trade them in for the z-rated ones either. They are amazing in the snow and ice. They are only Q-rated too, which is only good for 99 miles per hour if memory serves me correctly. I'll just say they can handle more than that....
Old 01-21-2005, 07:34 PM
pj550v12

Aurora . . . hopefully this summer we can see if we can get together some of the local Zs. I never hear of any CT meets, PM me if you're down.
Old 01-22-2005, 04:55 AM
zpeed350

I'm in CT as well.

There is usually 1 big CT meet every year. At least over the last few years vics350 has pulled together two very large meets. Both were awesome.

I haven't seen him on the board much lately though.

Glad your having luck with the snow tires, I'm just garaging mine. Watch out this weekend though, i'm hearing 10 to 14"!
Old 01-22-2005, 09:49 AM
Armitage
350Z-holic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Somewhat related, but putting WS-50 Blizzaks on my Prelude made a world of difference in winter.
Old 01-22-2005, 04:32 PM
uplz4588

file not downloading anymore....? says file not found....

and now when i click the link it comes up to be different **** sites.... wtf!?

Last edited by uplz4588; 01-22-2005 at 04:34 PM.
Old 01-22-2005, 04:43 PM
MrAurora

Originally posted by uplz4588
file not downloading anymore....? says file not found....

and now when i click the link it comes up to be different **** sites.... wtf!?
Sorry. I couldn't find any other hosting for a file that large. They must have killed the file and be redirecting to **** sites. If anyone knows of another host, I would be more then happy to re-up it !! (need FTP access too)
Old 01-22-2005, 09:09 PM
kinjal

awesome vid... i need some blizzaks, and this makes me see them as a necessity in chicago!
Old 01-22-2005, 09:43 PM
CelticPride2

Originally posted by zpeed350
I'm in CT as well.

There is usually 1 big CT meet every year. At least over the last few years vics350 has pulled together two very large meets. Both were awesome.

I haven't seen him on the board much lately though.

Glad your having luck with the snow tires, I'm just garaging mine. Watch out this weekend though, i'm hearing 10 to 14"!
To all the CT guys...sorry to hijack the thread, but if you're looking for local meets, here's another site to check out. Several CT folks hang out on on the boards there, along with a bunch of other New England Z owners: www.g350z.com

Thread hijack over...carry on

--CP2 (on Blizzaks and loving it)
Old 01-22-2005, 11:10 PM
SirZaLot

Since our car is rwd, can I just change the rear to snow tires and leave the front alone?
Old 01-23-2005, 06:40 AM
trackstar

Originally posted by SirZaLot
Since our car is rwd, can I just change the rear to snow tires and leave the front alone?
I wouldn't recommend it. You stop and steer with the front tires so traction in front helps.

BTW, Another CT Z'er here (although its a Z32).
Old 01-23-2005, 09:28 AM
MrAurora

I send that. That would be a very bad idea actually. You would probably end up driving right into something since you would have nearly no control at all over the front of your car in the white stuff. Blizzaks are pretty pricey, but well worth the money in my opinion.
Old 01-23-2005, 06:18 PM
CelticPride2

+3...having snow tires on the back will definitely help, but if that's all you have, your handling will be all over the place.