Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

G35C 6-spd sucks compared to Z..here's why

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2002, 12:17 AM
z461

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default G35C 6-spd sucks compared to Z..here's why

My 6-spd Diamond Graphite (silverstone in Z-speak) G35 Coupe came in today and I went over to the dealership to drive it around 8PM before the place closed. BTW, it was a fully loaded, 18" wheels, Brembo Brakes, Navigation system, premium package, sports suspension, EVERYTHING. The Z is a better car IMHO. Here is why:

Doors - The G35C doors are not as solid as the Z's, they sound "rattly" when they close even though they are heavier, weird eh? Doesn't make sense to me either seeing as how the car is an Infiniti and the Z is a Nissan (lower brand supposedly).

Seating position - The G35C has the same exact center console as the Z from the gearshifter back, YET the seating position is higher so there is no armrest for the 6-spd models since your arm is too high to rest on the center console (and YES, i did put the seat to its lowest position). In addition, the front dashboard is VERY HIGH and slopes upwards slightly making visibility straight forward pretty bad if you're trying to see close to the front of your car, the fact that i'm 5'8" might make this a bit worse.

Instrument Pod - It looks cheap compared to the Z's, no real aluminum, and no seperate pods, I don't like it, this is personal opinion

Shifter/clutch - Is actually different in feel than the Z surprisingly, the shifter is the same, but the clutch for some reason is different, it feels springy, much like the last gen Audi A4 and just isn't as smooth and linear as the Z (Even compared to when my Z was new..now it has 2600 miles on it).

Handling - The magazines can talk all they want, the Z is MUCH more nimble, it feels SIGNIFICANTLY lighter, the steering feel is better, it is quicker, and exhibits MUCH LESS body roll than the G. The G just feels heavy and more like a touring car than the Z which feels like a true sports car. ALSO, the G35C doesn't feel as solid as the Z, I drove it over very bad roads that I had taken the Z over, and the car has a bit more body flex than the Z... The Z exhibits NO body flex whatsoever. I believe the reason being is that the G35C has fold down rear seats... I know on the 330CI for comparison, the 330CI with fold down seats can stand about 13,000 NM of torque before the body twists while the 330I SEDAN model w/out fold down seats can withstand about 18,000 NM of torque. Therefore, when you have fold down seats you sacrifice body rigidity.

Engine/speed - Now I believe that the G will never break 6 seconds in the 0-60, and if so, BARELY... The G35C feels significantly slower than the Z, and I mean significantly, I wasn't expecting that much of a difference. I do believe it really does have 10 less HP... I was surprised myself how much of a difference there was, the G35C will NEVER break 14 seconds in the 1/4 stock.

Looks - After looking at the G35C over and over again, and I've spent a lot of time looking at it, probably over 4 hours (yup, i'm crazy about cars) my final decision is it doesn't look complete. It looks like they stopped making the car @ 70%, the sides are too slablike and need character lines or something to break them up. The rear end looks half finished @ the lower bumper, they should've moved the license plate frame area upwards. The only great part of the G35C is the front end, it's gorgeous.

Comfort: the G35C does win here, it has more insulation and the interior is more luxurious, HOWEVER, the rear seats are of very little use, I sat in the back without slouching and my head hit the glass window, and i'm 5'8".

My conclusion is that the G35C doesn't really gain much, the rear seats are not that useable, YET you lose a LOT in performance and driving feel... It's not worth it. Now I know why it won't cannibalize the Z's sales if you really get down to it and analyze, they're different cars, the G35C is definately a grand touring coupe with some sportiness, while the Z is a raw edge sports car.
Guess i'm not trading in my Z after all, can't wait till the Borla exhaust comes out in the next several weeks and my TE-37's come in

Last edited by z461; 11-10-2002 at 12:21 AM.
Old 11-10-2002, 03:27 AM
z461

Oh, and for people's information, the 6-spd G35C I believe has a stiffer suspension than the automatics.
Old 11-10-2002, 04:45 AM
brackethead

Nice write-up. I'm not surprised by what you said about the G, except that part about the doors being "rattly". That's odd about the clutch and shifter feel. I wonder if there's a problem with that G35c -- isn't the tranny the same as the Z's?

I just saw three G35c's in person for the first time last week (just from the outside). I like the looks, but not more than the 350Z. But I think Nissan has a winner with the G35c. It's an excellent car and different enough from the Z to appeal to plenty of buyers.
Old 11-10-2002, 04:45 AM
mcclaskz

When I saw one up close, it also looked like the car was up higher by at least an inch and a half? I am talking ground clearance not overall height.