Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

So here's my choices...

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2005, 01:08 PM
tacomaboy

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Plus, on a college campus.

GUARANTEED, it will get jacked multiple times.
Old 01-28-2005, 03:18 PM
Racer Z
Banned

Amazing....When I was 17, I couldn't afford a damn Z and my parents were (And still are) TOO thrifty to even consider buying me a sportscar. I had to buy my own when I graduated college (after ditching the 1980 Datsun B210 that I got as a 1987 graduation present...Geez!)

Nowadays, Kids are talking about Mom & Dad is getting me a new car...I'm like WTF??
Old 01-28-2005, 03:33 PM
FluxedSpeed

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks for all the help guys, right now, I'm leaning towards the Z, it's a very nice car and I love the looks of it, hell, it's not like i'll be stuck with one car for the rest of my life so I think I'll go with the Z then think about something else later on down the road when I get a little older. But like I said, Im buying the car, Ive saved my money for this so please don't say my parents are (they are pitching about 3,000 for grad present)
Old 01-28-2005, 03:53 PM
NzZ

Uhh, here's what I think. You live in Colorado...unless you have another car to drive, neither the Z nor the EVO is a good choice - both don't have enough ground clearance for snow driving...and neither comes with usable tires. If you do have another ride, pick the one that you like more. When you're ready to buy a car, you won't care what others think.

Just my $.02

NzZ
Old 01-28-2005, 05:16 PM
FayZ

Why dont you check about the insurance rate first.
Old 01-28-2005, 06:28 PM
christurismohk

get the evo
Old 01-28-2005, 06:40 PM
hndumafia

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

if you want to fit three of your guy friends in a car, get the evo.
if you want to fit one hot girl in your car, get the Z.
Old 01-28-2005, 06:58 PM
SB Track

Originally posted by FayZ
Why dont you check about the insurance rate first.
+1. HAHA. I'm 17 too. It's f*cken harsh.

Originally posted by hndumafia
if you want to fit three of your guy friends in a car, get the evo.
if you want to fit one hot girl in your car, get the Z.
LOL. So true. Tell your guy friends to get their own cars for their own girls.

Anyway. Yes, I'm 17 too. In no way, shape or form, did I help in the purchase of my Z. Personally, I can't think of how a kid can save up 35k to buy a car. (Maybe you're making payments or have a huge allowance). I don't think the Z's interior is much more grown up than the EVO's. For "grown up", I would look towards the G35c.

To me, the EVO is either a 16 year old's teen car or a serious track car. I see a lot more of the former. If you really want to lose one whole second in a perfect driven quarter mile, or track your car every weekend. Get the EVO. Otherwise, look for the video of the M3 vs EVO, where it's filmed from inside the EVO. There's these two teenage kids, the driver has a triple chin and talks like a complete douchebag. They race the M3 and get their asses handed to them. The best part of the video is the M3's engine tone. Sometimes I regret not getting an M3 just from listening to that engine tone whenever an M3 is next to me. Z = good priced sports car. EVO = econobox on steroids with ridiculously good handling. Take your pick. Remember, you'll be stuck with your car in college (if I see your situation right).
Old 01-28-2005, 07:11 PM
ssc

damn, 17yo and you are about to get a Z or an evo...you are one lucky guy....
i say get the evo, i think it will fit you better
Old 01-28-2005, 07:12 PM
Skrill

The Evo may be a better track car overall. But it really comes down to the driver in most respects.

I have passed 350 whp Evos on the track with my stock Enthusiast. And I have been passed by Miatas. It's all about the driver.

I would get a cheaper car if I was in college. But if get either car -- go to a track driving school. Both are way too much car for any 18 year old. It's like giving a 8 year old a can of gas and a box of matches.
Old 01-28-2005, 07:21 PM
Zmeflyby

if you want a fast easy to upgrade car, get the evo. If you want a nice looking car, IMO get the Z
Old 01-28-2005, 07:41 PM
Acree

flux, i turned 18 december. trust me man, get the damn Z. F that evo. get the Z. no questions. trust me, you will love the car, and the girls will love it even more. this is what a girl would say with each car, trust me, i know.

with an Evo:
"oh, that's a nice car"

with a Z:
"wow, thats your car?! can i have a ride?"

(and if you're lucky, like i had happen once, "can i ride you in your car?")

i know you'll make the right decision.

Last edited by 350ZTwinTurbo; 01-28-2005 at 07:44 PM.
Old 01-28-2005, 08:34 PM
Skrill

Originally posted by 350ZTwinTurbo
flux, i turned 18 december. trust me man, get the damn Z. F that evo. get the Z. no questions. trust me, you will love the car, and the girls will love it even more. this is what a girl would say with each car, trust me, i know.

with an Evo:
"oh, that's a nice car"

with a Z:
"wow, thats your car?! can i have a ride?"

(and if you're lucky, like i had happen once, "can i ride you in your car?")

i know you'll make the right decision.
When I was 18 I pulled tailed all day long -- and I drove a 15 year old rusted out pickup.
Old 01-28-2005, 08:49 PM
obsidian02

My advice is to get the one you like.
But if you want to own a car and later moving up to a more upscale car or one level higher, you better start with the faster evo and not with slower z. I think on avarage people think: from evo to z is moving up (it's like getting promoted), but from z to evo is moving down (it's like "WHAT HAPPENED ?")
Old 01-28-2005, 09:48 PM
BOOFER7
Banned

I think at 17, with the cost of insurance, gas, & maintenance, you're going to be financially living way beyond your means. I've had my Z 1 year, only driven in summer, and already Im replacing all 4 tires. I went with HP all seasons for replacements but, stock replacements can run you $250.00 ea. That was one, "unexpected" expense. There have been others, but I hope you get my drift. If you feel you can cover the "unexpected" expenses, then I say go for the Z.

I dont care how fast it may or may not be, the Evo looks like a nerdmobile with a rediculously unecessary rear park bench wing.

Just remember though, the Z doesnt have a backseat. My first car was a bedroom on wheels for me at the time.
Old 01-28-2005, 10:55 PM
Tattude

Originally posted by Racer Z
The Mitsu Lancer Evo is just a souped-up wanna-be sports car.
Your not serious are you?

Drive them both... And then ask mom & dad which one they will buy for you.
Remember the Evo will have cheaper insurance.
Old 01-28-2005, 11:21 PM
SB Track

Originally posted by Tattude
Remember the Evo will have cheaper insurance.
Not sure about your area, but around here, this is NOT the case. Some insurance companies won't even insure kids in EVOs.
Old 01-28-2005, 11:40 PM
FluxedSpeed

thanks, but I just dont get why you people keep on insisting that my parents are buying the car for me, I have a job with kodak for the past 2 years (school thing where they help you find a job) I started off at 8 dollars an hour, and Im now making almost 20, I think that is pretty good for a 17 year old. I also work 2 jobs when summer rolls around, and have been doing the 2 job thing since I could legally work (14, odd jobs). I have enough money with some help from my parents to buy one of these cars, I was just asking for people's opinions on them
Old 01-28-2005, 11:53 PM
BOOFER7
Banned

Originally posted by FluxedSpeed
thanks, but I just dont get why you people keep on insisting that my parents are buying the car for me, I have a job with kodak for the past 2 years (school thing where they help you find a job) I started off at 8 dollars an hour, and Im now making almost 20, I think that is pretty good for a 17 year old. I also work 2 jobs when summer rolls around, and have been doing the 2 job thing since I could legally work (14, odd jobs). I have enough money with some help from my parents to buy one of these cars, I was just asking for people's opinions on them
Dont take it to heart, some people just skim through the posts.

Dont forget, your getting alot of opinionated responses here because alot of us, including myself had to work up to owning a Z. Most older guys (Im just shy of 39) had an old POS for a first car. 300 HP is alot of HP for a first time driver, and from the accident pics I've seen here & on other sites, there supporting evidence that these cars are not for the inexperienced driver.

Do you drive now? if so, what r u driving?

Last edited by BOOFER7; 01-28-2005 at 11:55 PM.
Old 01-28-2005, 11:59 PM
Tattude

Originally posted by FluxedSpeed
1. Your to young to own a 30K plus sports car
2. Your not buying this car yourself
3. You don't make 20 dollars an hour at Kodak

Starting out at 8hr and 2 years later your making 20hr which is basically 40k a year. Why, go to school? Most College grads don't even make that...

Just tell the truth... Your parents somehow, someway trust you with a 30K plus sports car and there going to buy one for you for a graduation present. Very irresponsible IMO
Have fun and good luck. You should get the safest of the two, the EVO is the choice for you... The 350Z 's rear comes loose very easily. You aren't experience enough for such a thing to happen to you on a regular bases.

Quick Reply: So here's my choices...