Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

New 350Z with FI or Used Viper GTS ACR?

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2005, 08:36 PM
dansouliere

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New 350Z with FI or Used Viper GTS ACR?

I am a huge 350Z fan and I have been reading the boards for months with plans to go FI with all supporting mods including a built block.

I added up how much it would cost to buy the car plus the cost off all the mods and I was shocked that for the same price I could buy a used Viper GTS ACR with low mileage.

I know they are totally different cars and I will more than likely get flamed by this thread.

For those of you who spent huge amounts of money on your Z, if you could do it all over again would you still spend gobs of money into the Z or buy a more expensive car that is faster in stock form?
Old 02-06-2005, 08:48 PM
hypeiv

Really depends on what you want to do. If you want a fast car and then be done with it the Viper may be the way to go. People who buy the Z and mod them to make them go faster obviously could afford to just buy a faster car stock... but then they may not be able to afford modding it, so they don't think it would be as fun.

I know in my area the insurance on a Z is a whole lot less than a Viper.
Old 02-06-2005, 08:53 PM
dansouliere

Insurance is a very goos point.

Here in Canada insurance companies will drop you the second they find out you install mods on your car so you must lie to them and say its stock. Even if you declare it your dropped its actually a huge problem here.

Back on topic..

Yes there are types of ppl that cannot leave their car stock but that is only because the Z lacks in power. I bet if the Z was an 11sec car in stock form ppl would not spend 20k under the hood because its already fast.
Old 02-06-2005, 09:01 PM
Z BOY

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

depends on whether or not you like rebuilding and repairing blown engines. our site is replete with blown ones, and not the good "blown", either. the z wasn't built for fi. if i were in your shoes, and i wish i were, the viper, no brainer. just get rid of that stoopid stripe down the middle.
(actually, i'd try to get the new vette.)
ps: i agree with you. if the z had lots more hp from the factory, there wouldn't be the mod-mania there is now.

Last edited by Z BOY; 02-06-2005 at 09:23 PM.
Old 02-06-2005, 09:08 PM
dansouliere

Originally posted by Z BOY
depends on whether or not you like rebuilding and repairing blown engines. our site is replete with blown ones, and not the good "blown", either. the z wasn't built for fi. if i were in your shoes, and i wish i were, the viper, no brainer. just get rid of that stoopid stripe down the middle.
(actually, i'd try to get the new vette.)
I am very aware about the weak vq35de but I think its stronger than what most people think. The crank angle sensor wire may have contributed to most of the blown engines. Only time will tell.

I am not a Corvette guy.. The only thing that I am impressed with is the performance for the money.
Old 02-07-2005, 05:07 AM
FairladyZ

Viper GTS ACR
Old 02-07-2005, 05:09 AM
hypeiv

I agree to the extent that if the Z had a lot more power for the same price there wouldn't be "mod mania" but there are certain types of people who like to build up their own cars no matter what.

Some of these people could most likely find a good deal on a used car that already runs 12's (especially now that c5's are so cheap... i saw an 04 z06 for under 40k) but to them that takes a lot of the fun out of it. Also a heavly modded Z would be a sleeper on the road. You would be able to get into a lot more road races where the other car thinks he can win with a modded Z over a viper.

It really comes down do you want something thats unique on the road b/c its expensive and limited release... or do you want something thats unique b/c you did all the customization. Its really two totally different scenes.
Old 02-07-2005, 05:23 AM
AxionF117

The viper is not a car you can drive everyday, odds are you won't like where the pedals are positioned.

My vote goes for a Single Turbo MKIV Supra TT
Old 02-07-2005, 05:30 AM
FairladyZ

Originally posted by AxionF117
The viper is not a car you can drive everyday, odds are you won't like where the pedals are positioned.

My vote goes for a Single Turbo MKIV Supra TT
Your absolutely right. My buddy was looking at the viper but went with the ZO6 instead. That was one of his reasons for not liking the car. It is very uncomfortable as a daily driver. And the pedals placement was bad.

Another was everyone was looking/staring at it. He said cars would drift towards him as he was test driving it. Didnt feel safe for a daily driver.
Old 02-07-2005, 05:39 AM
jackie chan

i drive a mustang(not daily driven since i have a demo but it was for 2 years) and could easily drive a viper everday
Old 02-07-2005, 06:47 AM
thawk408

I vote for the Z over the supra. A viper with a few mods might win my heart over an F/I Z. Both would stil be badass tho.
Old 02-07-2005, 07:07 AM
BobaFettm

I've talked to many viper owners since I used to own a Chrysler Crossfire... back in the days when it was rare... but the Viper has horrible problems with breaking all sorts of parts... they are in the shop at all local dealers just as much as they are on the track... just a warning... ive heard the same with the older Z06... my friends family has one and I know its been in the shop 3 times so far... high horse power can always mean high chance of breaking... we are talking about the worlds super power cars... but for around 80k... usually cars with that power are Lambo's or Fer's and they are all 150k+
Old 02-07-2005, 07:10 AM
mdacko

vipers are hot, but for me its way more fun to mod a Z than to buy a stock fast car. you become so much more familiar with the car, and its a huge accomplishment to be proud of.
Old 02-07-2005, 07:24 AM
mcduck

Yes there are types of ppl that cannot leave their car stock but that is only because the Z lacks in power. I bet if the Z was an 11sec car in stock form ppl would not spend 20k under the hood because its already fast.
I don't agree... People would mod Zs even if it came with more power (which would make it more expensive from the start). Many mods do nothing to enhance performance, yet for the people who have modded their cars and frequent this site, you'll find most have changed wheels and tires, added body kits, upgraded stereos, upgraded suspension, added aftermarket leather.

There is more to modding than just adding performance enhancements. Many are just ways to personalize the car to suit the driver.

If you're one of those people, buy the Z and FI it. If not, buy the Viper. In either case, I would not recommend buying either if it is your only car. Any high performance car, factory or one you build, requires a much higher level of maintenance and attention than a normal car. Of the two, the Z would be the better daily driver, but even that you would enjoy more if you didn't have to drive it every single day.
Old 02-07-2005, 07:25 AM
boma

What I've learned is, it doesn't matter how fast the car is.

If you can't enjoy the Z for the power it has, then if you get a viper you wouldn't appreciate it over time either.

I say get the Z! it's cheaper!
Old 02-07-2005, 08:25 AM
sentry65
the burninator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

from what I've heard, and maybe it's urban myth is that the viper breaks down a lot. Lots of little things go haywire every few thousand miles.

Also I've heard it's expensive to get an oil change.

If the car doesn't have a warrenty anymore and there's a problem with the engine - that's gonna be a MAJOR expense. I think i've heard the viper V10 engine is like 25-30k new, but maybe that's urban myth too
Old 02-07-2005, 10:08 AM
mcduck

I think this goes back to what I said above. High performance cars require high performance maintenance. I think what happens with a lot of Vipers is that Joe Blow buys one and thinks he can follow the same maintenance schedule as his Intrepid and still have the Viper operate correctly. Eventually, the car experiences a level use/wear that isn't compensated for by Intrepid-style maintenance. The car fails and the make is blamed rather than the lack of proper maintenance schedule.
Old 02-07-2005, 11:25 AM
dduck44

Viper.
Old 02-07-2005, 11:35 AM
Vash350Z

i would take a viper with a warranty over an F/I Z, but i agree with what mcduck said, dont make it your only car.
Old 02-07-2005, 11:42 AM
Kray Z

It really doesn't matter i think the cars are more for looks than anything else. I believe you will have to watch the viper much closer than the Z if you park it anywhere.

either one gets serious attention. both cars hit the speed limit SOOOO fast its pointless to really beef them up. I wouldn't stop modding cause its totally a personality thing but ive had my Z for a week and im as paranoid as a meth head.

Its almost like your a cop in these cars everyone drives stupid when they get near them. I had one guy the other night back up at a intersection just so he could get a better look.

The cops look very hard at these vehicles. Im so excited to see what this car can do but its very difficult it hits a 100 so fast that i just know someone is waiting for me at the other end.

I'm soo happy i didn't get a STI I saw more of those this weekend than i ever have before. at least 30-40. Z's are still fairly rare. vipers are out there so i guess its a show off thing do you want something cool reliable and driveable or do you want to be a nervous nelly that constantly has to keep an eye on it and maintain it like crazy.

Quick Reply: New 350Z with FI or Used Viper GTS ACR?