Old 02-09-2005, 09:11 PM
VincenZoDreams

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arrow Opinions please

Hello,
i have a 04 touring in an automatic,
the thing is i want to do it up right
so i thoiught i would do a supercharger since its an automatic
i wanna make this car a beast! i wanna supercharge it, exhaust, cams, headers, intercooler, and what not
thing is
im doing research but i dont know whats the BEST out there
so can ne one help me out
thanks
ant
Old 02-10-2005, 07:22 PM
Kray Z

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Turbo is free horsepower and supercharger costs power to make power.

Turbos take longer to kick in but are much nicer and tunable than a supercharger.

Your looking at getting a accesory charger which is nice for intercooling. I had a manifold roots style on my nissan truck it sucked gas and horsepower and impossible to intercool.

I would turbo it. then you get your headers at the same time.
Old 02-10-2005, 08:30 PM
VincenZoDreams

wouldnt turbo hurt the engine and cause strain on the block?
also would a turbo work on an automatic?
Old 02-11-2005, 08:40 AM
JThrilla

I don't know how a turbo would cause strain on the engine block...do you mean by putting more air (and more pressure I guess) into the cylinder? I'd think an intercooler would cause more strain by putting cooler air into the cylinder and causing a quick temperature change, but I doubt that has any effect on an aluminum engine block.

I don't see why a turbo wouldn't work on an automatic.

Kray Z, what do you mean that turbos take longer to kick in? Isn't that what a twin turbo is for? Smaller turbos that kick in at lower RPM's, but then require a bypass (can't think of the name of the thing) at higher RPM's?

I'm new to this too, so I'm learning. Check this article out, it might help...

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/question122.htm

Hope this helps.
Old 02-11-2005, 08:47 AM
King Tut

Too many n00bs in this post. A supercharger and a turbo both have the exact same potential to blow your motor. The motor only cares about boost, fuel, and timing. It doesn't care where that boost comes from. In general, a turbo will make more power over a supercharger at the same boost level due to the parasitic loss from the engine having to turn an extra pulley for the supercharger. In general, a supercharger will make boost sooner than a turbo. You can install a supercharger or a turbo on an automatic as the drivetrain really makes no difference other than possibly having to change the routing of some pipes or lines. As for the best out there, no such thing exists. If there was one best thing out there, we would all have it. As far as Superchargers you have 4 main choices:

Vortech
ATI
Stillen
HKS

As far as exhaust you have gazillions of choices. Most superchargers come with an intercooler in the kit. Not too many header choices.

Last edited by King Tut; 02-11-2005 at 08:49 AM.
Old 02-11-2005, 08:56 AM
JThrilla

This is a dumb question, but what's the header? How does a supercharger kick in quicker? Because it's mechanically actuated instead of relying on exhaust gas to spin the turbine? Thanks for your help...I agree I'm a "n00b". How could a turbo blow the engine? I'm just fun-filled with questions.
Old 02-11-2005, 09:23 AM
King Tut

You currently have an exhaust manifold. A header or a turbo manifold replaces the exhaust manifold which is used to get exhaust gases from the exhaust ports on the head to the exhaust and out the tailpipe. Superchargers buid boost quicker because they spin at relatively the same rate as the engine so as the engine RPM increases so does the boost. The turbo has to wait for the RPM to start going up to generate enough exhuast pressure to spool the turbo and then once it is spooled it produces a relatively constant boost level.