Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

About to turn 16, about to buy a Z

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2005, 08:54 AM
bixby

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by FairladyZ
The only way I would go back to a manual is if it was a toy and not a daily driver. I love the auto in this car.

I had an LS1 6spd for two years. My freakin clutch knee started to "pop or click" was a real pain in the azz. Could be they way I drove it though.
yea, It's either the way you drove it or basically just a preference. I've been commuting 2.5 to 3.0 hrs a day for close to 20 yrs in a MT. It doesn't bother me at all and I've had 7 knee operations (okay it bothers me sometimes). I love the feel of a MT. Now if I drove a truck everyday I'd be complaining!

BE CARERFUL! This is a lot of car for a new driver.
Old 02-18-2005, 09:02 AM
yobri
350Z-holic

Originally posted by bixby
I've been commuting 2.5 to 3.0 hrs a day for close to 20 yrs in a MT.
Gotta love Highway 80
Old 02-18-2005, 09:34 AM
Kray Z

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah i was a manual man for ever. I wasn't feeling the love of the MT and with the winters in montana it would sit for 4 months if i didn't get the AUTO. Plus the MT was more money and i didn't like the black color. Personal preference. Im happy though
Old 02-18-2005, 09:47 AM
Zexy

You're 16 get a Scion tC.

ahem* insurance rates people??? *ahem
Old 02-18-2005, 09:51 AM
MASTERPLAU

Default Re: About to turn 16, about to buy a Z

Originally posted by Sensation350Z
Yes yes I know i`m a young`n, don`t even start. ...

and the only time it`s fun is when you`re trying to race.

any input is appreciated
Ive driven plenty of manuals before the Z, if the Z were my first car, im sure i would have totalled it already... lots of power for a new driver...

have fun and be safe
Old 02-18-2005, 10:31 AM
350Zenophile

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Assuming money is not an object...

1. This is actually an affordable car compared to some kids I knew in high school driving new benz's, bmw's, and vettes.

2. Insurance rates aren't an object...did you worry about insurance when you were 16? hell no b/c you weren't paying it!

3. This car is more forgiving to drive than say a mustang...tolerates driving mistakes well especially with the VDC and Traction Control options (Get them).

4. Get the stick so your skinny leg gets a work out (this isn't a video game) and you will become a better driver. Bad driving habits are born from auto. transmissions.

5. The car (with side-air bags) has an excellent crash rating. Just be sure to get them so when you wreck the car, which you will do (we all did when we were 16), you will have a better chance of survival.

6. If you listen to none of my other advice...go to an autocross/track event and school with your new car and have a blast learning how to drive it!
Old 02-18-2005, 11:33 AM
zmespeed

i dont think he will wreck it. maybe a few close calls but i dont think he will wreck it. my advice is to the the mt. its fun to drive any time, even when you eating and on the cell phone and the same time, it teaches you mulity taksing skillz. plus 6 gears compared to 5. and my two cents is to take you car to a parking lot and see what it can do just dont roast the tire to bad because you dad wont like buying new ones. they arnt cheap. it realy all depends on how hard core you are. if your part of the more core devision go for the mt if not then the at is just fine.
Old 02-18-2005, 11:33 AM
Brandon@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Internals.com

Originally posted by 350Zenophile
Assuming money is not an object...

1. This is actually an affordable car compared to some kids I knew in high school driving new benz's, bmw's, and vettes.

2. Insurance rates aren't an object...did you worry about insurance when you were 16? hell no b/c you weren't paying it!

3. This car is more forgiving to drive than say a mustang...tolerates driving mistakes well especially with the VDC and Traction Control options (Get them).

4. Get the stick so your skinny leg gets a work out (this isn't a video game) and you will become a better driver. Bad driving habits are born from auto. transmissions.

5. The car (with side-air bags) has an excellent crash rating. Just be sure to get them so when you wreck the car, which you will do (we all did when we were 16), you will have a better chance of survival.

6. If you listen to none of my other advice...go to an autocross/track event and school with your new car and have a blast learning how to drive it!
Finally someone actually gives him useful information. Thanks

Guys, i'm going to tell you again, he doesn't want to hear that he doesn't deserve the car or he's going to wreck it, he wants to know whether to get a manual or auto.
Old 02-18-2005, 11:38 AM
bixby

Originally posted by zmespeed
my advice is to the the mt. its fun to drive any time, even when you eating and on the cell phone and the same time, it teaches you mulity taksing skillz.
Are you nuts!!!
Old 02-18-2005, 11:47 AM
samw1978

I say go for the manual. I found myself gets sleepy easily in an auto. car... driving a manual keeps me excited and 'awake'
I'm not too worried about traffic, once you get used to it, you won't even notice it
Old 02-18-2005, 11:54 AM
Aggro_Al

First I just have to say that I find it hard for someone at 16 to have the driving experience or the maturity to handle a high-powered car like the Z or anything similar. I know there might be exceptions and you may be one of them. I guess what I'm trying to say is to carefully consider what you and your parents are getting into.

That being said, I've driven both the 5AT and the 6MT and as far as performance I haven't experienced any difference or seen any legitimate information that would say that one is better than the other. Those that tell you otherwise, ask them prove it to you and they will usually fall short on explaination, give you a myth or flat out lie to you. I was originally going to get the 6MT until I drove the 5AT and just liked it better.

Getting a 6MT or the 5AT is a subjective decision. Performance isn't an issue with the Z. The only way to tell which one you'll like better is to actually go out and test drive both versions. Then choose which ever you liked better.

Good luck and stay safe.
Old 02-18-2005, 12:28 PM
silverstoneTT

I got my Z at 17 after a year with a 180 Audi TT. I have up to this point only received one ticket ever although my friends Im sure would have had a lot if they had the Z.

I enjoyed the TT maybe just because since the power wasnt there you enjoy the car for what it does have and dont feel as tempted to speed or look good.

Id look into a TSX maybe, or something else....

In any case, i love my Z and would never think about it in Auto. GET THE 6 SPEED
Old 02-18-2005, 01:33 PM
SB Track

I'm 17. Learned to drive stick on the G35coupe we had. There is a lot of power in the Z, but only if you decide to gun it all the time. I don't understand why everyone is saying it's way too much hp because I'm sure we all wish it had some more. Try not to speed and stay off the gas on the corners, I don't see what's so hard about that. The VDC is so invasive that I don't even bother hitting the corners fast. Just take it easy on the car for a while (you'll have to break it in anyway) and you'll learn eventually. Also, don't try to show off... It's a cool car to have -- thank your parents.
Old 02-18-2005, 03:15 PM
orhanz33

i've had my 6 spd. for 2 yrs and love it.. i love driving my car and rowing through the gears.. no automatic Z driver will ever experience the car like we (manual drivers) do!
it's even fun in traffic, i blip the throttle, roll back in neutral and watch the person behind me flip out as i some inches from their bumper
if you even have to question whether you want a stick or auto, maybe a sports car isn't right for you.. this is a driver's car

p.s. girls love guys who drive stickshift cars

Last edited by orhanz33; 02-18-2005 at 03:17 PM.
Old 02-18-2005, 03:30 PM
hunterj

Good luck!!!

I also take my chances driving the Z in Minnesota. The ice and snow is quite the test

But I am much older than 16!!!
Old 02-18-2005, 05:04 PM
1sick350

Yes yes I know i`m a young`n, don`t even start. Moving on.. I learned how to drive when I was 14 and drove all year while I was 15 [with parentals] in our piece of **** [1995 nissan pathfinder, nice car 10 years ago, given to me until I turn 16 so I can bang it up and what not]

my dad n I`ve been looking around at either a nissan 350z or a mazda rx-8. Now, the pathfinder is automatic transmission, but from what everyone`s been telling me, the automatic and manual don`t even compare in performance.

I need to know, is there a substantial difference in the z`s [i`m talking like automatic compared to 6-speed] I figure that manual would be faster, but the HP is the same, and my cousin drives a 911 turbo and he says that driving with stick is a pain in the *** in traffic, and the only time it`s fun is when you`re trying to race.

any input is appreciated
Well looks like u r in the same area as i am. Accept im 16 and buying the car about 2 moths after i get my liscence when im 17. I debated between the z auto and 6spd. Ive asked pletny of people which is more fun and if they feel the same when u slam on the throttle. Truly there isnt mcuh of a gap between the auto and manual from wat ive heard and seen. My brother owns a tt supra and has raced boht a manual z and an auto and has been in a auto z and g35. When he raced them he put about 5-6 cars on the auto z from a stop. He then raced a 6spd froma roll twice up to 140 and took him out by about 4-5 cars. So there isnt much of a gap id would say about a car lenghts difference between the 2. When he road in an atuo g35 he said it felt like it pulled jaut as hard as an srt4. Which means it has some ***** to go with its great style. Im prob gonna get an auto myself cause ive never really driven stick befor myself and there is alot of stop and go traffic in nj and ct. Im just goin to bpu my z and see wat happens, but either way the z will def be fast enogu for u as a first car with either tranny.
Old 02-18-2005, 05:19 PM
kcobean

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes yes I know i`m a young`n, don`t even start.
Here's a hint.....If you don't want your age to be an issue, don't title the thread with it and then make it the opening sentence in your post. You deserve all of the "you're too young" crap you get for doing so.

any input is appreciated [/B]
Without casting any stereo-types on either type of transmission or driver, I prefer the manual transmission. I think you'll learn better car control, better feel for the road, better understanding of your cars, and your limits with one. I hear the auto in this car is quite nice, but I like manual sports cars. To each his own. I hope this is what you were looking for.

FOR EVERYONE ELSE: Stop flaming this kid for his age and good fortune or I will get this thread locked. He didn't ask you to chastize him because he's young, and he didn't ask for your thoughts on proper parenting of teen-age boys. KEEP IT ABOUT THE CAR. These "your parents are crazy and you're gonna kill yourself with this car" threads are just beat to death.
Old 02-18-2005, 05:26 PM
Brandon@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Internals.com

Default Re: Re: About to turn 16, about to buy a Z

Originally posted by kcobean
Here's a hint.....If you don't want your age to be an issue, don't title the thread with it and then make it the opening sentence in your post. You deserve all of the "you're too young" crap you get for doing so.

Without casting any stereo-types on either type of transmission or driver, I prefer the manual transmission. I think you'll learn better car control, better feel for the road, better understanding of your cars, and your limits with one. I hear the auto in this car is quite nice, but I like manual sports cars. To each his own. I hope this is what you were looking for.

FOR EVERYONE ELSE: Stop flaming this kid for his age and good fortune or I will get this thread locked. He didn't ask you to chastize him because he's young, and he didn't ask for your thoughts on proper parenting of teen-age boys. KEEP IT ABOUT THE CAR. These "your parents are crazy and you're gonna kill yourself with this car" threads are just beat to death.
Agreed, kinda brought this on himself by putting his age 3 or 4 times and admitting he was young.

Also agreed. I'm watching the thread closely to make sure it doesn't get out of hand. And yet again, I agree, if anyone doesn't like the fact a underage kid is getting a 350Z, you can easily move on past the thread without helping him.
Old 02-18-2005, 05:38 PM
chrism1

Get a 1 0r 2 yr old 6spd. keep it real!
Old 02-18-2005, 07:03 PM
Sensation350Z

hey everyone thanks for all the input. still a little on the fence, I plan on test driving an automatic in the next couple days.

To everyone who says I`m "too immature": Who`s to say how mature I am? One thing`s for certain, you don`t know me. The deal I had with my dad when I started up high school was that if I stay out of trouble and get straight A`s, I`d get a nice car when I turn 16. I held up my end of the deal, so naturally he`s holding up his, really not any of your concern.
Regarding wrecking it and killing myself/others: Once again, you don`t know me. I mean think about it, you`re sitting there telling me how immature I am and talking all this nonsense, when really you`re placing a stereotype on me, without even getting a chance to know what I`m about first. Just because i`m turning 16 and getting a nice car doesn`t mean I`m going to get road rage and put everyone`s lives in danger.

I do plan on racing when I get some more experience, but i`m no idiot. I know exactly how much power the car has, and believe me, I don`t plan on taking anyone`s life, just having some good clean fun in a nice car.

thanks again for the input

Quick Reply: About to turn 16, about to buy a Z