Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

'05 Z or '05 Vette?

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2005, 10:36 AM
zownz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

what are you really comparing here?? looks or power?..
i prefer the looks of the Z better...lets see...what has changed on the vette since 98...headlights??..the motor is a 6.0 that produces
400hp..compared 2 the z's 3.5 300 hp...this shows the lack of technology the american car has..i wonder how many hp a nissan engineer could pull out a 6.0 nissan motor...corvette 2 me is plain...looks ok...performs ok for that $$..id prefer an m3 or even maybe the upcoming r35..or maybe a lotus elise??...this is a good thread...
base Z..kaaz lsd...greddy tt =32k....> vette
Old 03-03-2005, 10:42 AM
Camarocane

Originally posted by zownz

base Z..kaaz lsd...greddy tt =32k....> vette
base Z..kaaz lsd...greddy tt =32k....< vette + warrenty
Old 03-03-2005, 10:54 AM
Fiction520

Originally posted by Camarocane
Exactly what I wanted to say. Sure you can buy a Z and mod it to be a better performer that the c6 but you lose your warranty on a brand new $30K+ car, plus I don't care what you guys say, modding cars greatly reduces their reliability. I love my Z, but put a c6 in front of me, I think I might have to take it.
Old 03-03-2005, 11:02 AM
charlie_rdstr_Z

C6 all the way. Zs are in some way a poor man's Corvette but earns a bit more respect. I'm trying to get my dad to get a C6 roadster but he wants a Z roadster cause it simply looks better.
Old 03-03-2005, 11:06 AM
vladsstuff

If I get the job I want & if it goes well, I could consider a Vette. Otherwise, I'd have to get a Z. Money at this point isn't a consideration, although later it may be.

I like a great looking car that's fast & handles great. I actually like the looks of both of these cars, with a slight edge to the Z. Straight-line acceleration is no contest (vette). Handling, I give to the Z (it's 5 inches shorter) for weaving in/out of highway traffic.

Reliability & feel (especially interior looks) I give to the Z. Right now, I'm leaning toward the Z, & if when I get a great job, I can mod the bejesus out of it to make it as fast as the Vette, with some money left over.

I'm just concerned about the '05 Z's possible front-end alignment issues. Wonder if that's improved from the previous 2 years?

Actually, the Z would be only a summer car for me.

Last edited by vladsstuff; 03-03-2005 at 11:30 AM.
Old 03-03-2005, 11:44 AM
Camarocane

Originally posted by vladsstuff

for weaving in/out of highway traffic.

Whatever car you get dont drive like a fool.
Old 03-03-2005, 11:53 AM
Scott n Houston

Sorry, but handling goes to the C6 too... pretty much hands down.
It's a hell of a car, but come on guys... it's 20-30k more!
Old 03-03-2005, 12:03 PM
trefling

Alright I'm speaking here from experience. My last car was the 2001 ZO6 when it first came out. No doubt the ZO6 is a better performance streetcar and much faster too

But here is what sucks about the ZO6
you can't make tight turns at all so u-turns in normal streets are not an option
The tire noise alone was very very load, I ended up having to put sound deadening material in it.
Tires were about $350 per piece....ouch!
It was in the shop all the time, if it wouldn't have been under warranty it would have costed a fortune.

Now the Z on the other hand is not fast, atleast not stock. But 4-5K can make it just as fast with a little boost. The ladies seem to love the Z much more than the ZO6. Corvette owners have been know to be a little "cheesy" and gray and old. Best of all my Z never breaks down and with my ATI procharger it seems just as fast as my ZO6 did

Best car for the trac....ZO6 hands down

Daily driver?......Z wins all the way! (with boost of course)
Old 03-03-2005, 12:11 PM
hypeiv

Originally posted by Camarocane
you could replace the Z engine 2 times before you get to the price of the new vette. After the first time you blow the engine you could just get forged internals and that will most likely be the last time you blow your engine.. like this guy said money is not a factor... your warranty on the other parts of the car will still be intact anyway...

It really depend on what your scene is. The vette would be a better deal in the long run b/c mods on the Z won't add value to your car, but some people just can't stand driving a car thats stock, others like sleepers. Try getting that guy in the STI to race your c6... its not going to happen but he will be chomping at the bit to race your Z only to find out you have some great mods under the hood. Other people can't live without a warranty and will never mod their car. I think both cars give you a lot for the money and are both great values but saying should I get a "Z or a Vette?" is like asking "Celeca or Z?" all these cars are good values but your jumping up to the next level.

Last edited by hypeiv; 03-03-2005 at 12:17 PM.
Old 03-03-2005, 12:27 PM
milanista

I know this has already been said, but between a 2005 350Z and a first-year GM model, it's a no brainer, unless you like to get stuck on the side of the road and enjoy going to the dealership every other week for about 2 years. When the C5's came out, it took GM about 3 model years to get all the "main" bugs fixed. Same can be said for first-year model Fords and/or Chryslers. Having said this, IMHO the C6 is a nice car, specially the upcoming Z06. Definitely something worth considering in a couple-three years time. Let's see, a nice red Z06, a nice polyester suit and lots of gold chains....Yeah baby, yeah......
Old 03-03-2005, 01:20 PM
JoneZZZ

Quote:
-----------------------
Originally posted by milanista

"Let's see, a nice red Z06, a nice polyester suit and lots of gold chains....Yeah baby, yeah......"
-----------------------

thats cold!!!..........
Old 03-03-2005, 01:55 PM
Outlaw

well I have the money.

I had a BMW Mcoupe, which went in on trade in.

I chose the Z over the Vette and M3.

Reason why is:

A) Z is more my style
B) I paid 34,000 for the Z, I am gonna put the extra money into the Z and end up with a built car that is as fast as the Z06, looks the way I want it to, and have the pleasure of watching vettes go bye bye in my rear view mirror.

Then again, if I did not want a TT car and I did not want to spend the time modifying it, then I would have gone with the M3. Second choice being the Vette.
Old 03-03-2005, 03:11 PM
350z4steve

I think the new C6 is a great car for the buck but so is the Z. In a sense the Z as it is now is 3 yrs old its starting to lose a bit of its novelty and yousee a million of them now here in So cal..so unless you have a Boosted Z already for me i would get the C6 or wait for the 2006 Z06 which is what I will probably already do because I already have a boosted Z.
Old 03-03-2005, 03:43 PM
charlie_rdstr_Z

Originally posted by vladsstuff
Straight-line acceleration is no contest (vette). Handling, I give to the Z (it's 5 inches shorter) for weaving in/out of highway traffic.
Wrong! The Vette handles better and it's been proven. Where do people get the idea a Vette is just a boat?

Reliability & feel (especially interior looks) I give to the Z. Right now, I'm leaning toward the Z, & if when I get a great job, I can mod the bejesus out of it to make it as fast as the Vette, with some money left over.
I've never heard of so many problems on a Vette with tranny and tire feathering. There was a generation of Vettes where the fuel injection caught on fire. GM has the worse interiors in the world. The LS2 or LS7 will get over 50 with just a cam swap. With intake and exhaust you get real gains unlike our cars. I'm talking over 20 hp to the wheels. For us it's like 5-7.

Last edited by charlie_rdstr_Z; 03-03-2005 at 03:49 PM.
Old 03-03-2005, 04:32 PM
xray2

Edited
Old 03-03-2005, 04:33 PM
xray2

Originally posted by charlie_rdstr_Z
Wrong! The Vette handles better and it's been proven. Where do people get the idea a Vette is just a boat?

I've never heard of so many problems on a Vette with tranny and tire feathering. There was a generation of Vettes where the fuel injection caught on fire. GM has the worse interiors in the world. The LS2 or LS7 will get over 50 with just a cam swap. With intake and exhaust you get real gains unlike our cars. I'm talking over 20 hp to the wheels. For us it's like 5-7.

I just test drove a Vette (C6 manual) so I can give a bit of advice.

the comparison between the vehicles is rather flawed because their purpose is different.

My impressions of the Vette:
Like someone said: it's a bit boat. The vehicle is really huge and akward until you get going at a high rate of speed. The torque and HP are unbelievable, but what do you expect for such high displacement.

Low-speed maneuvering is pretty poor. The Vette quite large, but it's hard to move aorund the large frame and huge tires.

In summary the Vette is a true GT car. It's really more of a near-ferrari competitor, certainly not a Z. The Z is smaller, nimbler car but lacks the HP to compete with a Vette.

Interior: the Vette has a suprisingly cheap interior for so much money. GM absolutely sucks in the interior department. The plastic components are like Tyco Blocks; a bad Lego imitation.
In comparison the Z interior is better, better fitting, but still not that great. I also tested out BMW M3, the interior is 10 years ahead of anyone else, but the price you pay is steep.

Overall the Z is the best bang for the buck, and the most usable sports car I have ever tried.
Old 03-03-2005, 05:07 PM
Lookingtobuy

Interior: the Vette has a suprisingly cheap interior for so much money. GM absolutely sucks in the interior department. The plastic components are like Tyco Blocks; a bad Lego imitation.
This is exactly what one of my friends that test drove the car said. He also said that the outside air intake peices looked like they were made out of cheap plastic and could easily come off. If I were to choose I would have to say Z + APS TT.
Old 03-03-2005, 07:34 PM
Long Beach Jim

Reliability is a really big issue for me. That is why I returned to a Japanese car after having owned a GM and BMW. I've put 100K on three Japanese cars and they were nearly flawless mechanically.

If you read J.D. Powers and Consumer reports, the Corvette gets horrid reliability ratings. Also, expect expensive insurance.
Old 03-03-2005, 09:46 PM
Destiny350Z

NO vettes, they have had the same basic looks for years!! A guy in a vette is not impressive to me!! I had a vette owner roll down his window at a stop light and tell me how sexy my Z was!! Now you make the call!!
Old 03-03-2005, 10:06 PM
xray2

The one thing that the Vette has in spite of its shortcomings is a brutish appearance, and fierce delivery of power.

I must say that the power of the Z06 is awesome. I doubt I'll own a Lambo or some other ridicolously proced vehicle soon, but the Vette was brutal in getting the power to the ground.

From 0-50 it's fast, but after things get even more interesting when you have a massive amount of displacement.

But still, the Vetter is the like the jock who took 'roids and stayed at the gym 24/7: power, but not flawless delivery.

The Z just does it's job and doesn't pretend to take on the world.
Plus it looks damn sexy!

Quick Reply: '05 Z or '05 Vette?