Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Base model w/o limited slip differential... Is it needed?

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2002, 04:09 AM
FrankieZZ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LSD

To Cabilistic Fire : I agree with everything you said . What I was implying was that unless you were the type to later put in a mechanical LSD , the loss of how much horsepower you could put down would probably be indistiguishable to most drivers except under unique conditions ( they would also be the type of driver who would most benefit from traction control probably more the a good LSD) . I was basically talking about tranferring power both from a standing start and while cornering . Sorry ,I guess you somehow inferred that I was talking about increasing horsepower , rather than maintaining it . Transferring as much horsepower as is available is also one of the important benefits to me while optimizing the handling you mentioned . In driving my base Z I have found little value to the present LSD and do plan to upgrade .I don't feel the aftermarkets will be as high as you predict . either . Also , you should then have a better responding LSD than you have in your Z now that will produce the results you were speaking of while simultaneously utilizing most of your horsepower available .
Old 11-16-2002, 04:15 AM
Traffic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Guys,

I plan to install a Cusco Type MZ 2-way on my base model hopefully before Christmas, so I'll let you all know how it goes...
Old 11-16-2002, 05:22 AM
nj1266

Originally posted by Daytona
Guys,

I plan to install a Cusco Type MZ 2-way on my base model hopefully before Christmas, so I'll let you all know how it goes...
Is that a clutch type LSD? Do you have a link to the company that makes it?
Old 11-16-2002, 05:42 AM
HEUGE
Charter Member #40

Default What will the NISMO diff be?

According to this article at cars.com

http://www.cars.com/news/stories/111302_story_an.jhtml

The Nismo car is equipped:

"The car features an exhaust system that increases horsepower to 295 and torque to 280 pounds-feet. The 350Z also has a high-performance air filter and oil cooler, lightweight flywheel, limited-slip differential and racing clutch. The suspension has improved coil springs, shocks and sway bars. An aero kit is included. "

Does this mean that NISMO will carry a replacement differential? Based on the rest of the article they claim that they will support full factory warranty on dealer-installed Nismo parts since these exist already in the japanese market. So does anyone know what they currently sell in the Japanese market?
Old 11-16-2002, 06:08 AM
Traffic

Originally posted by nj1266
Is that a clutch type LSD? Do you have a link to the company that makes it?
Sure.

www.cusco.co.jp , although it helps to be able to understand Japanese.

The Type MZ is a clutch-pack type LSD.

Old 11-16-2002, 03:29 PM
TJZ

Default Re: What will the NISMO diff be?

Originally posted by HEUGE
According to this article at cars.com

http://www.cars.com/news/stories/111302_story_an.jhtml

The Nismo car is equipped:

"The car features an exhaust system that increases horsepower to 295 and torque to 280 pounds-feet. The 350Z also has a high-performance air filter and oil cooler, lightweight flywheel, limited-slip differential and racing clutch. The suspension has improved coil springs, shocks and sway bars. An aero kit is included. "

Does this mean that NISMO will carry a replacement differential? Based on the rest of the article they claim that they will support full factory warranty on dealer-installed Nismo parts since these exist already in the japanese market. So does anyone know what they currently sell in the Japanese market?
Um...I *think* nismo is making their own LSD. They *might* be using the Cusco but i am 80% sure they have their own. The Cusco LSD is already out in the japanese market right now. If nismo is making their own, it isn't out yet.
Old 02-21-2003, 01:24 AM
Fibercus

Getting the base model:

I am adding True Xenon's (379Shipped) @ Misterjung.com
comes with Ballast Power supply / Phillips bulbs. Many to chose from (color / brightness)

leather trim kit for 500 shipped.

LSD isnt important for me right now, but I can always do an aftermarket install if i needed too. Not bad for say 9 bills though =]
Old 02-23-2003, 08:05 AM
FrankieZZ

Default You don't gain hp

To cabilisticfire ( great name by the way ) ,

What I was referring to was the Loss of traction and the accompanying Loss of horsepower primarily off the line . How did you get " gaining horsepower " out of that ? It seems D'Oh understood it clearly enough ! By the way , sorry cabilistic, it's " lose horsepower" not" loose horsepower ".

FrankieZZ

Hampton Beach, NH
Silverstone 6M

PS I still say you are better off with an aftermarket LSD than the one available on the non base models

Last edited by FrankieZZ; 02-23-2003 at 08:16 AM.
Old 02-23-2003, 12:51 PM
nj1266

Default Re: You don't gain hp

[i]PS I still say you are better off with an aftermarket LSD than the one available on the non base models
You are right. The OEM LSD is the worst type of LSD. It is a Viscous type LSD. It relies on liquid to work. With a lot of track use it will wear out and it will become like and open diff. Nissan cheaped out with the LSD. The Nismo one is a cut above. It is a clutch pack LSD. It will also wear out, but not as quickly or badly as the viscous. The best LSD is the mechanical one. If Quaife makes one, then get one of those. It is expensive, but worth it.

I run a Quaife on my race car and it is way better than the viscous that comes stock with the old Sentra SE-R. The new Sentra SE-R Spec V get a mechanical LSD from the factory. I am jealous