How-To: Break in your new engine...

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2005, 08:54 PM
Brandon@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Internals.com

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Armitage
Is he or isn't he? Are you just supposed to go to high RPM's but not at WOT?
It seems to me like he's saying drive it hard.
"Yeah - But ...
the owner's manual says to break it in easy ...

Notice that this technique isn't "beating" on the engine, but rather taking a purposeful, methodical approach to sealing the rings. The logic to this method is sound. However, some will have a hard time with this approach, since it seems to "go against the grain".

The argument for an easy break-in is usually: "that's what the manual says" ....

Or more specifically: "there are tight parts in the engine and you might do damage or even seize it if you run it hard."

Consider this:
Due to the vastly improved metal casting and machining technologies which are now used, tight parts in new engines are not normal. A manufacturing mistake causing a tight clearance is an extremely rare occurrence these days. But, if there is something wrong with the engine clearances from the factory, no amount of gentle running will fix the problem.

The real reason ???
So why do all the owner's manuals say to take it easy for the first
thousand miles ???

This is a good question "

Excerpt...
Notice that this technique isn't "beating" on the engine, but rather taking a purposeful, methodical approach to sealing the rings. The logic to this method is sound. However, some will have a hard time with this approach, since it seems to "go against the grain".
Old 03-13-2005, 09:00 PM
Brandon@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Internals.com

Merged threads, as it was causing some controversy.
Old 03-13-2005, 09:01 PM
Armitage
350Z-holic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by nis350ztt
"Yeah - But ...
the owner's manual says to break it in easy ...

The argument for an easy break-in is usually: "that's what the manual says" ....

Or more specifically: "there are tight parts in the engine and you might do damage or even seize it if you run it hard."

Consider this:
Due to the vastly improved metal casting and machining technologies which are now used, tight parts in new engines are not normal. A manufacturing mistake causing a tight clearance is an extremely rare occurrence these days. But, if there is something wrong with the engine clearances from the factory, no amount of gentle running will fix the problem.

The real reason ???
So why do all the owner's manuals say to take it easy for the first
thousand miles ???

This is a good question "

Excerpt...
No offense, but I know how to read. I read the article a couple of times last night analyzing what he had to say, so to answer everyone's questions you don't need to keep quoting the article.

I went back and read the article and answered my own question. His instructions are to open the engine up at WOT in 2nd, 3rd, and 4th gears. That to me is pushing the engine pretty hard.
Old 03-13-2005, 10:10 PM
The Brickyard Rat
350Z-holic

Yo Arm, Nissan acknowledged the feathering issue by a TSB that extended the warrenty to 24 months & 20,000 miles (or 30,000 with participation).

What tranny issue? Mine shifts like a fine swiss watch. If your having trouble with yours perhaps you need some instruction.
Old 03-14-2005, 12:23 AM
Armitage
350Z-holic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by The Brickyard Rat
Yo Arm, Nissan acknowledged the feathering issue by a TSB that extended the warrenty to 24 months & 20,000 miles (or 30,000 with participation).

What tranny issue? Mine shifts like a fine swiss watch. If your having trouble with yours perhaps you need some instruction.
I don't even have a Z yet man. No need to be a *****. There has been enough complaints though that it isn't a remote enough problem to say it was just a bad batch. Granted, the majority of owners don't seem to have an issue, but there are still a few that do and that makes me, at the very least, curious.

I have no problems driving a manual, but thank you for your generous offer.
Old 03-14-2005, 04:47 AM
capnfrantic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE=mwest300zx] But, I am a fanatic about changing the oil/filter on a consistent basis.

This is key in my book. ^

Ever heard the expression "drive it like you stole it"? My opinion and experience has been that you break an engine in the way you want it to run. For ex. Chevy truck at 95 MPH for 130 mi. I left the lot with 5 miles on it. Truck is still strong with a 165000 mi. on it. Thats a chevy, not a VQ! To each his own but I think you end up with a stronger engine braking it in hard. JMO