2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

How-To: Break in your new engine...

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2005, 12:02 AM
Brandon@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Internals.com

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default How-To: Break in your new engine...

http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm
Old 03-12-2005, 12:19 AM
jreiter

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hehe, yeah, this is the method I used. That exact site is where I started on my quest for knowledge on the subject. I kept reading about more and more companies that recommended pretty much the same method. Even aircraft engine suppliers recommend similar procedures when breaking in a new or rebuilt aircraft engine.

I guess another good question, though, is what about all the other drivetrain components. While it seems like a hard engine break in might be beneficial, what about transmissions, differentials, etc?
Old 03-12-2005, 08:01 AM
HOMiEZ

Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts
Cool

I have a few questions as well. I did not follow Motoman's hard engine break-in technique. Now I have more than 20k miles on my car. Will my car dealership tell me exactly what I need to know? & What can I do to ensure a lasting motor?

p.s. love the next site's format by the way
Old 03-12-2005, 10:58 AM
Brandon@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Internals.com

Originally Posted by HOMiEZ
I have a few questions as well. I did not follow Motoman's hard engine break-in technique. Now I have more than 20k miles on my car. Will my car dealership tell me exactly what I need to know? & What can I do to ensure a lasting motor?

p.s. love the next site's format by the way
Tell you exactly what you need to know about what? What the site says, he's tested it, it doesn't matter if you take it easy on the engine or drive it hard, they are going to last about the same amount of time.

Me too!
Old 03-12-2005, 02:14 PM
HOMiEZ

Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts

my impression from Motoman's website is if I did not break my engine in hard i would actually induce more engine wear. am i mistaken?
Old 03-12-2005, 05:38 PM
Armitage
350Z-holic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I think I've read this before, but I'm going to give it a good going over anyway. Good reading material while I work.
Old 03-12-2005, 05:50 PM
JCat
---------------
Premier Member

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts

"RUN IT HARD" I would have never believed this until I tried it.

It worked for me!

I've baby'd engines and I've run the **** out of them in the first 5000 miles. The later always used less oil over the life of the engine. Go wonder.
Old 03-12-2005, 06:42 PM
Armitage
350Z-holic

So those of you saying you broke it in hard, did you basically follow what the article said? It seems to make sense and produce the desired and expected results.

And if you did do it this way, how many miles do you have on the car so far?

Last edited by Armitage; 03-12-2005 at 07:00 PM.
Old 03-12-2005, 08:19 PM
Brandon@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Internals.com

Originally Posted by HOMiEZ
my impression from Motoman's website is if I did not break my engine in hard i would actually induce more engine wear. am i mistaken?
Yes, you're mistaken. It says in the article that it doesn't matter if you run it soft or hard, it's going to "go" when it wants to "go"...so you might as well run it hard and get the same mileage out of it.
Old 03-12-2005, 08:21 PM
BigMoeTaki42

Originally Posted by jreiter
I guess another good question, though, is what about all the other drivetrain components. While it seems like a hard engine break in might be beneficial, what about transmissions, differentials, etc?
I was wondering this as I was reading too. He never really mentioned how it would affect the rest of the drivetrain, but I guess I don't really see how it could damage your transmission much. Who knows.
Old 03-13-2005, 12:29 PM
Mr_Q

Well at a 1000 miles on the OD. I dyno'd my Z....hmmm.
Old 03-13-2005, 02:09 PM
The Brickyard Rat
350Z-holic

Why is this a pinned thread? Does my350z support the idea that some idiot mechanic somewhere on earth knows more than the guys that make the Zzzz?

At a minimum, the appropiate section of the Zzz manual should be posted as well.
Old 03-13-2005, 02:43 PM
Brandon@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Internals.com

Originally Posted by The Brickyard Rat
Why is this a pinned thread? Does my350z support the idea that some idiot mechanic somewhere on earth knows more than the guys that make the Zzzz?

At a minimum, the appropiate section of the Zzz manual should be posted as well.
In the rules you'll see that MY350Z.COM supports nothing in any posts.

The article isn't for the 350Z only...it's not telling you to do this. That's entirely up to the reader.
Old 03-13-2005, 04:30 PM
doodeitstom

He seems to be advertising his book. He doesnt really say why motor companies do not break in motors his way.
Old 03-13-2005, 04:30 PM
mwest300zx

I broke my engine in very carefully. As there seemed to be quite a bit of traffic on the dealers lot as I made my way off of the property, careful not to exceed 15mph. As soon as my front tires crossed the driveway onto the highway I hit 81mph before the first traffic signal, about a mile down the road. I have not looked back yet. I drive fairly aggressively. Every highway exit and entrance ramp is an opportunity to find the best apex and hit it as fast as I possibly can. I road race my Z and drive it as hard as I can. I am no kid and own and have owned my share of cars. Mostly sport/muscle cars. According to my wife I still drive like I was 18. I keep cars for a very long time. Once they are paid for I enjoy hanging on to them as now they are basically free. A few of the vehicles I currently own in addition to my 350zr, 300zx convertible, 66 Mustang convertible, 64 Mercedes 230sl convertible, a supercharged 91 Miata that I use mostly for road racing, Sebring convertible (family car), Subaru Outback wagon (my kayak/bike carrier). Basically, I drive the **** out of all of them. This morning on the way to my racquetball game I hit a high of 73mph on one of the ramps and cruised home between 78-104mph. I have never ever had any engine problems on any of the vehicles I own now or have owned in the past. But, I am a fanatic about changing the oil/filter on a consistent basis. Both my Z's get Mobil 1. The others get whatever I buy. usually Castrol, Valvoline non-synthetics. Non synthetics I change every 2500-3100 miles and synthetics I change between 4500-5100 miles.I also add Restore to every vehicle at every oil change. I am not a patient driver and never had the patience to follow the manufacturers break in recommendations. My plan is to break the car in from the beginning the same way I plan on driving it till the end. So far it's worked for me.
Old 03-13-2005, 04:35 PM
Brandon@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Internals.com

Originally Posted by doodeitstom
He seems to be advertising his book. He doesnt really say why motor companies do not break in motors his way.
What book????

"Yeah - But ...
the owner's manual says to break it in easy ...

Notice that this technique isn't "beating" on the engine, but rather taking a purposeful, methodical approach to sealing the rings. The logic to this method is sound. However, some will have a hard time with this approach, since it seems to "go against the grain".

The argument for an easy break-in is usually: "that's what the manual says" ....

Or more specifically: "there are tight parts in the engine and you might do damage or even seize it if you run it hard."

Consider this:
Due to the vastly improved metal casting and machining technologies which are now used, tight parts in new engines are not normal. A manufacturing mistake causing a tight clearance is an extremely rare occurrence these days. But, if there is something wrong with the engine clearances from the factory, no amount of gentle running will fix the problem.

The real reason ???
So why do all the owner's manuals say to take it easy for the first
thousand miles ???

This is a good question "
Old 03-13-2005, 05:35 PM
L337350

yeah, we should all believe everything we see on the internet
Old 03-13-2005, 06:25 PM
Brandon@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Internals.com

Originally Posted by L337350
yeah, we should all believe everything we see on the internet
I don't see what's so suspicious about this...he isn't telling you to run it hard...
Old 03-13-2005, 08:44 PM
Armitage
350Z-holic

Originally Posted by nis350ztt
I don't see what's so suspicious about this...he isn't telling you to run it hard...
Is he or isn't he? Are you just supposed to go to high RPM's but not at WOT?
It seems to me like he's saying drive it hard.
Old 03-13-2005, 08:48 PM
Armitage
350Z-holic

Originally Posted by The Brickyard Rat
The same people that made the Z also told you that the tire feathering issue doesn't exist, there is no tranny issue, etc.

Quick Reply: How-To: Break in your new engine...