Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

What can be done for big people about seats?

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2005, 01:09 AM
ara

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What can be done for big people about seats?

there are a few cars that i'm considering buying soon, the Z is one of them i love it, but when i sit in it my right knee is scraping against the center console and i wish the seat would go further down.

I'm 6'3, 300 pounds right now (kickboxer, not fat ***), i'm trying to trim down to 245 pounds, but for now trying to see if i can fit comfortably in the Z, anybody done anything to the stock seats? like lower the seat brackets? is there an aftermarket seat that will fit me (40 inch waist) and the z?

Thanks a lot.
Old 03-13-2005, 10:47 AM
EdgeOfSanity

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ara
there are a few cars that i'm considering buying soon, the Z is one of them i love it, but when i sit in it my right knee is scraping against the center console and i wish the seat would go further down.

I'm 6'3, 300 pounds right now (kickboxer, not fat ***), i'm trying to trim down to 245 pounds, but for now trying to see if i can fit comfortably in the Z, anybody done anything to the stock seats? like lower the seat brackets? is there an aftermarket seat that will fit me (40 inch waist) and the z?

Thanks a lot.
I'm about the same size as you and i dont have much problem fitting in the z. The only real problem i've had is when letting the clutch out my knee touches the steering wheel. I wish i could put the seat 2 inches back and it would be perfect, but its just not possible.
Old 03-13-2005, 10:55 AM
Mantis3024

Im not big (5'9, 146lbs) and I have to admit even though the interior is a little more roomy than most cars since it's a 2 seater, the driver's seat does not go back all that far. The seats in my other cars go back to the point where I can have my legs fully extended when I touch the pedals. Right now in my Z, I have my seats all the way back which is about 3/4 back in my other cars.
Old 03-13-2005, 11:01 AM
ara

can you guys do me a favor, next time you drive your z, could you just look under the seat and see if there is any room? if not i might just have to buy a different seat, wondering which ones i fit in?

Thanks
Old 03-13-2005, 12:35 PM
Santacruzslick
Veteran

There is some room under the seat but I don't think it is possible to lower it any. The space is about the amount of space required for the brackets and clearance of the bottom of the seat.
Old 03-13-2005, 01:05 PM
Losing Grip II

i had the same problem. my fix: lost 46lbs in four months. need to lose another 20lbs and ill be perfect. ive noticed not only have i been about to sit more confortably but i am now able to sit up more straight, am more flexible, and best of all- i actually think it made a difference in how fast my car accelerates.

john
Old 03-13-2005, 01:37 PM
skank-a-holic

I'm 6'2 and have no issues
Old 03-13-2005, 01:49 PM
Losing Grip II

Originally Posted by skank-a-holic
I'm 6'2 and have no issues

want a cookie?

john
Old 03-14-2005, 08:11 AM
Tony@Performance
Vendor - Former Vendor

As far as aftermarket seats go, Cobra is the only company that I know of that makes GT width seats, (larger width seats). I'm similar in size, and I've got fixed back cobra imola IIs in my car.
They're good seats, tremendously good quaility.
subesports carries them, i think it's subesports.com
Old 03-14-2005, 08:53 AM
Built2shredZ

Im 6'-4" 260 lbs and its a perfect fit in the Roadster... I think it depends on how your body is structured... Some guys have longer torso's then legs and vice versa... Im fairly lucky that my legs and torso are pretty even. If there was any less leg room in the roadster I would probably have the same problem as you. As far as head room goes, I have about a 1" to spare. Sounds like you have longer legs then torso so your having problems with the knees hitting the console.. Losing some weight would help some, but odds are your legs are probably to long for this car
Old 03-15-2005, 05:45 AM
Qbrozen

well, at 6'5", i think its pretty safe to say that both my legs and torso are pretty long, and I fit in the car pretty well. There was another topic about this pretty recently (before the site downtime, anyway) and we were discussing the differences in the models. The 2 tilt wheels in the Touring is what enables me to fit fairly comfortably, without my legs touching the console or door (back of seat all the way down and the front is all the way up), and, obviously, the tilt wheel keep my knees from coming close to the steering wheel.

PLUS, I know that, in many other cars, power seats have longer track travel than their manual counterparts, but I don't know if this is the case with the Z. However, my seat does go all the way to the back wall (do the manual seats do this?). In any case, I suggest checking out a Touring model.
Old 03-15-2005, 07:13 AM
Low J.
Banned

yep, I'm 6'7" 240lbs and have no problems with seat width or legroom but I could use more headroom.....I've got to ghetto lean in order to keep my head from touching. I'm on a never-ending quest to find a way to lower the drivers seat but so far no luck.
Old 03-15-2005, 08:06 AM
AdamDC

I need to agree with the adjustable steering wheel in the touring model. I'm 6'4" 250 and do OK. I do have the seat as far back as it goes. My leg room is OK, but for more comfort, I wish it would recline a little more. I don't think that can be changed by switching seats, it's just where the car puts the top.
Old 03-16-2005, 08:22 PM
ara

hey guys i'm back, the model i sat in was the 35th anniversary edition? but i remember fitting better in a touring model better? , could you post pics of the cobras if possible please? and are you about the same size as me or almost? thanks