Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dying synchros in my tranny.

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2005, 01:59 AM
Janus

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dying synchros in my tranny.

For a while know (about 27,000 miles =P) I've been having problems shifting into third every now and then. There is a grind when I shift, but it was uncommon, about once every two weeks it would act up.

Now its getting worse, and not just limited to third gear anymore.

I've spoken to Jason @ Performance Nissan, and he thinks that if you press the clutch all the way to the floor the diaphram springs start to re-engage the clutch plate... which when looking at a diagram of the assembly seems understandable.
So, I've modified my driving habits in the last 4 months to reflect this.

However now the clutch is grinding in 2nd and 5th when I shift into those gears. I've even released the clutch and re-depressed it and I've still been locked out of those gears. I once had to pump the clutch 4 times before I could shift in.

I should mention that I always try to rev-match the engine anyways.

Sooo my question is, how much of a hassle is it to get the tranny fixed?

Douglass Nissan of Orange, are dicks. I argue with them over and over about stupid stuff. They once claimed that because I changed the refil on the wind shield wiper blade, that it wasn't under waranty and they couldn't even LOOK at the windshield wiper motor. Their policy is that if they can't replicate the problem 100% of the time, it doesn't exist.

Anyways, I'll probably take it to Performance Nissan, but I don't want a hassle, and I can't replicate the problem all the time. It just does it at random.

Any info would be helpfull, thanks ^_^
Old 03-13-2005, 05:59 AM
Apexi350z
Charter Member #50

isn't this covered under warranty? you will get a new tranny from nissan if the dealer can prove it's bad...
Old 03-13-2005, 06:11 AM
xephiron

I just had mine replaced on Thursday/Friday. I told them it grinded when I shifted into 3rd, the machanic just kinda nodded because this is very common, especially on '03. He drove, I rode along, and I told him just drive semi-aggressive, don't even have to rev. it up too high just make an aggressive shift. Sure enough, it grinded for him.

So they replaced it under warraty, no questions asked. I would like to note that they also replaced my clutch pressure plate so my 23.4k miles on it are no more! I also got the springs replaced on my hatch and it pops open much better now.

Good luck.

P.S. Jimmy, the service advisor at Serra Nissan, is the biggest ******** I have ever seen. I had to ask him 4 times to get back up and continue looking at little problems with my car. He told me "just because it is under warranty doesn't mean you get a whole new car one piece at a time". My familty and I will NEVER buy another car from any Serra dealership as long as they employ him (or people like him). Not like I WANT to get my car fixed under warranty every couple of months.
Old 03-13-2005, 06:30 AM
BigMoeTaki42

The tranny in my '03 is starting to grind when I shift to 3rd now too. I have the same problem as you though, it's not consistent enough to complain cause I don't know if it'll grind when a tech drives it. I guess the only thing to do is wait until it becomes consistent enough to replicate with a tech in the car.

By the way, xephiron, that Jimmy guy sounds like a total @ss. What he said was totally disrespectful, if anyone at a dealership said something like that to me, I would storm into the managers office and let him know that me and my friends and family will NEVER purchase another car from that dealership.
Old 03-13-2005, 07:41 AM
Neo105

On a side note, dont your synchros die when you ride with your hand on the shifter? i heard it somewhere, i believe at the benz dealer, but i dont know if its true though...
Old 03-13-2005, 08:41 AM
Janus

Problem is, I got about 6k miles left on my warrantee unless I extend it, which with the '03 Z might not be a bad idea.
Old 03-13-2005, 09:43 AM
HarvesterUT
Premier Member

[QUOTE=Janus]
I've spoken to Jason @ Performance Nissan, and he thinks that if you press the clutch all the way to the floor the diaphram springs start to re-engage the clutch plate..

QUOTE]

so what are you saying here? depressing the clutch all the way is bad or good?
Old 03-13-2005, 10:44 AM
GQ 350z

I think this might have happenned to me, but I'm not sure. Basically I was going about 80% wot, and going into third I heard this really ugly scratching/grinding sound. Is this the infamous grind? BTW it would not go into third either until I put the depressed the clutch all the way again (and as a result at a lower speed).

Can I get this fixed under warranty? How long does it take?
Old 03-13-2005, 10:47 AM
thoalex

This is a definite warranty issue. Nissan is aware of it but, the problem is getting Nissan to duplicate it. Mine does it, shifting into third in lower RPM range. But, as usual the Nissan service rep couldn't find a problem.
Old 03-13-2005, 11:34 AM
yooda

Default Had my tranny replaced to

I had my tranny replaced as well, under warranty in my '03. I noticed that "grinding" noise when I was driving aggressively and always in third gear. Once in a while it would actually feel like it'd "pop" outta gear and be like it was in neutral.

Apparently the tranny is super easy to swap out and takes a few hours for the techs. I mentioned the problem and they swapped it, no questions asked.
Old 03-13-2005, 11:56 AM
SHO-TIME

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Swapping a tranny at Performance Nissan is most likely a 2 day job for them. Mine was replaced there too but since I was in a hurry, Jeff@performance did it in the same day for me. Nice guy and nice place. I get all my warranty problems fixed at Performance Nissan. Good luck.
Old 03-13-2005, 06:41 PM
Janus

I'll probably go to Performance. I kinda feel bad taking my car there all the time forcing them to lose out on the warranty service. But hey, I paid a lot for my car, and Nissan seriously screwed up on a few areas.

On a side note, can anyone give me the conditions to recreate the problem?

Everytime it happens I am too busy trying to not hit things or get rear-ended cause I missed a shift at a bad time...
Old 03-13-2005, 07:18 PM
Apexi350z
Charter Member #50

you guys got it made with dealer replacing tranny.. I wish we got this type of service in Houston.. My tranny grinds 3rd gear at least once or twice a week, but whenever I take it to the dealer, it just doesn't grind.. I wish there's a way to make it grind even when I am at the dealer, so the tech can see (hear) it..

Today my 2nd gear grind came back.... maybe it's getting worst (like it's a good thing!)
Old 03-14-2005, 07:22 AM
Hraesvelg
Got Uranium?

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm having the same problem with my '03 G35c, it only grinds every few weeks and only in third. Are there any dealers that will replace this under warranty? If it means taking a road trip for a few days that's just fine.
Old 03-14-2005, 09:36 AM
thoalex

I seem to be able to best recreate it in the lower RPM range. But I have the same problem as a couple of you do. Nissan Service can't reproduce it.
Old 03-15-2005, 05:41 AM
Qbrozen

Originally Posted by Neo105
On a side note, dont your synchros die when you ride with your hand on the shifter? i heard it somewhere, i believe at the benz dealer, but i dont know if its true though...
Yes, this is true. Its similar to driving with your foot touching the clutch. Eventually, it will wear out.
Old 03-15-2005, 07:23 AM
tommym

"Problem is, I got about 6k miles left on my warrantee unless I extend it, which with the '03 Z might not be a bad idea."

Is it possible to extend your warranty? I thought that was only offered when you bought the car.
Old 03-15-2005, 10:35 AM
thoalex

Once you own the car, you'll get extended warranty offers from all sorts of people and you can also look on the Internet and find extended warranties there as well. Nissan will send you an extended warranty offer each anniversary of the date you bought your car. The more miles on your car, the more expensive the warranty.
Old 03-15-2005, 03:18 PM
Janus

Default not entirely accurate...

Originally Posted by Neo105
Um, I don't believe that =P. This sounds like a myth dealers tell new car buyers to scare them away from warantee maintenance/repairs...

Maybe, if you had the shifter pressed AGAINST a gear channel or slightly towards one, yes. But if its just in neutral or fully in gear, then I'd say no.

Same with keeping your foot on the clutch. If you never depress it, then no, you aren't wearing it out. But if your foot rests on it and depresses it about 1/4 of an inch, then yes, you would be, however minutely =P
Old 03-15-2005, 04:45 PM
Qbrozen

Originally Posted by Janus
Um, I don't believe that =P. This sounds like a myth dealers tell new car buyers to scare them away from warantee maintenance/repairs...
Well, I'm not one that tries to change folks' beliefs.

BUT, I didn't get that from a dealer. That's a driving suggestion from a mechanic with a 45-year resume that rivals some of the best in the business. So I'll certainly take that advice over any "hunch" or "theories" any day.

I do have anecdotal evidence to back it up, as well, but we all know that really means very little.

Quick Reply: Dying synchros in my tranny.