Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

had a horrible night last night in the Z with the cops

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2005, 11:29 AM
sentry65
the burninator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the cop marked down "other" for method of measuring my speed. I think he just looked at his speedometer

at the end, the other cop asked how old I was and if I was married or had kids. When I said 25, maybe I'm pulling this out my butt, but the main cop seemed to be slightly irritated or something. At least he made some sorta irritated face and went "mmm" or something like that.

thanks everyone for your feedback,this really sucks having this hanging over my head

Last edited by sentry65; 03-24-2005 at 11:41 AM.
Old 03-24-2005, 11:40 AM
vladsstuff

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow! sorry to hear about your trouble. I don't have any experience like this, but a lawyer might be a good idea as some have said. Guess I better slow down, since I'm a pretty aggressive driver. Here the highway speed limit around Chicago it's 55, & I'm usually doing 80, if not more. It sounds though that you should be able to get off. Do you have a radar detector? Mine's saved my *** on dozens of occasions.

The driving situation you describe could very easily be me at least once a day.

Good luck!
Old 03-24-2005, 11:40 AM
speedd3mon

Sorry to hear about that man. Take these guys advice and get a lawyer; my bro did this once and wasnt charged with the maximum sentence.
Old 03-24-2005, 11:45 AM
sentry65
the burninator

does anyone from AZ recommend any lawyers for this in the tempe area? Or attorney companies? Or does it not really matter so much for traffic cases like this?

thanks again everyone
Old 03-24-2005, 12:19 PM
350zluvr

Originally Posted by sentry65
the cop marked down "other" for method of measuring my speed. I think he just looked at his speedometer
I know in Texas, the only legal form of measuring someone's speed is by radar. Do Arizona's laws denote different?
Old 03-24-2005, 12:29 PM
sentry65
the burninator

i think they can get you with any means they can - even their eyesight just watching a car go by and guessing how fast they're going - yeah i know it's kinda rediculous. Some are actually pretty good at it though - know an ex cop who was good at it.
Old 03-24-2005, 12:59 PM
Qbrozen

usually "pacing" (where the cop drives the same speed as you for a period of time) is acceptable. And I'm sure that's what has happened in this particular instance. I think writing "other" is a bit odd, though. I know I've had one that read "pace" as the method of detection.
Old 03-24-2005, 01:15 PM
desiZ

My friend was driving to work one day, doing probably 80 in a 65 which is normal here in socal, three cop cars pulled him over, told him to get out of the car (with guns pointed at him) and handcuffed him etc etc... after an hour they let him go saying "oh we thought u were someone else, we're looking for ur exact car and someone fitting your description". didn't apologize nothing... my friend was so shaken he didn't get their badge numbers nuthing... sucks...
Old 03-24-2005, 01:22 PM
sentry65
the burninator

i generally like cops and respect what they do. In a way I think it'd be a somewhat exciting job even. No one likes getting pulled over and for a lot of people just getting pulled over is enough to give them a jolt to rethink their driving.

I'm also noticing it's kinda towards the end of the month....
Old 03-24-2005, 01:29 PM
GZire

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Sorry to hear about this.

Get a lawyer like the others have said. Tell the truth and accept the punishment, it's about all you can do.

Good luck.
Old 03-24-2005, 01:31 PM
VandyZ

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have had the same thing happen to me (with no handcuffs though). I was bunched up with some cars / trucks in a construction zone (all of us were exceeding the 45 mph limit) at which point the 3 lanes get real narrow with solid lines (no passing). I was in the middle lane between two trucks and the car in front of me zipped around the truck and I was going to at least get in front of the trucks that were too close for comfort. Well I stared to accelerate steadily and noticed a car coming up fast behind me, so I accelerated even faster to let him clear me and the trucks. Before I realized it he was on my but and not passing. I thought what is this tool doing I am not going any faster he can go around me.

The point of me telling you this is he was a police officer and had his grill lights going and wig waging his head lights and I had no idea because he was so close and my mirrors were all blinded to this. I did not know until he hit the siren. I promptly put my blinker on but did not pull over till we cleared the construction.

HE WAS PISSED. He hassled me about not pulling over and asking why I was going 67 in the 45. I told him the exact story as above. I also told him I was waiting till we got to a cleared area for OUR safety. Clearly I said all the right things and was honest and polite. He told me this is an arrestable offence and really wanted to push my buttons. He even added the fact that my car attracts too much attention.

End the end I signed the Speeding / Wreckless driving / Construction Zone ticket as my ÅÃond saying I will appear in court. Needless to say, it was all taken care of.

Last edited by VandyZ; 03-24-2005 at 01:36 PM.
Old 03-24-2005, 01:36 PM
DrVolkl

Yeah, just get a good lawyer.

Mention you thought he was tailgaiting you and just wanted to get out of his way. Our cars it 90mph in a matter of seconds....it's just too easy.
Old 03-24-2005, 01:38 PM
trn

That sucks, I got a court date here in Georgia for a 93 in a 65 tommrow. I'm hoping i will get somthing like driving school and a fine with no points or at least a reduction. Cop was all business here though, just wrote the ticket and we were both on our seperate ways.
Old 03-24-2005, 01:48 PM
Built2shredZ

You'll probably get off. Just tell the judge someone was tailing gating you real close and you speed up to get out of the way. You had no idea it was a cop. Sounds like to me the cop was goating you into speeding by tail gating you.

Judge if anything should lowering to a normal speeding ticket.
Old 03-24-2005, 02:01 PM
sentry65
the burninator

well thing that i partly worry about was when the cop asked me why i sped, i said I don't know, that I just did.

I was only halfway thinking straight when he asked me cause my mind was more on the handcuffs, me going to jail, and my car getting impounded

It wasn't until looking back on it that I realized why I was speeding out of there, just a reaction sorta thing. Wasn't something I logically planned out or anything
Old 03-24-2005, 02:04 PM
350zluvr

Originally Posted by desiZ
My friend was driving to work one day, doing probably 80 in a 65 which is normal here in socal, three cop cars pulled him over, told him to get out of the car (with guns pointed at him) and handcuffed him etc etc... after an hour they let him go saying "oh we thought u were someone else, we're looking for ur exact car and someone fitting your description". didn't apologize nothing... my friend was so shaken he didn't get their badge numbers nuthing... sucks...
Sounds like a Reno 911 episode.
Old 03-24-2005, 02:24 PM
desiZ

Originally Posted by 350zluvr
Sounds like a Reno 911 episode.
yea man sucks... he was driving an 02 dodge intrepid... he was embarassed to even tell me about it... i was so pissed just hearing abt him going thru all that... racist cops man i tell u...
Old 03-24-2005, 02:51 PM
JCat
---------------

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts

I gotta say that you sound like a pretty decent guy for being remorseful about ONLY EXCEEDING THE SPEED LIMIT BY 28MPH !!!!!

MAN, the cops in your neighborhood would probably convict me and EXECUTE ME....28mph is nothing!!!

I think they were trying to teach you a lesson by frightening and hassling you.

RELAX.

Yeh, you'll need an attorney. He'll work it out for you.

Sounds like the cops in AZ are kinda harsh.
Old 03-24-2005, 04:06 PM
350fanatic

i do not think it counts as an arrest because you were not formally booked into the jail. i could be wrong.
+1, that is not going to go in records as an arrests..

criminal speeding? ive never heard of that. here in cali,over 90 is wreckless driving and anything over 90 can land you in jail depending if the cop is koo or a dick which usually they are dicks..
Old 03-24-2005, 04:07 PM
350fanatic

i bet the cop was sure you had drugs/weapons in your car..

Quick Reply: had a horrible night last night in the Z with the cops