2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

had a horrible night last night in the Z with the cops

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2005, 09:28 AM
sentry65
the burninator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default had a horrible night last night in the Z with the cops

Well I really screwed up. I was debating about posting this or not, but maybe it'll help me relax a little.

Please don't post anything about how stupid I was or whatever because I think this could happen to just about any driver - especially with a car like the Z. I have enough stress right now trying to come to terms with this and don't need anyone saying how much I screwed up. Maybe some people might be more careful on the road

Basically I got pulled over last night and written up for criminal speeding at 93mph in a 65 on the I-10 highway. No one got hurt or anything like that, but I've never been pulled over for a "criminal" offense

I wasn't weaving in and out of traffic or anything of that sort - maybe some people might recall I've said a few times I'm more scared of other drivers doing something unexpected than anything so I never floor the gas unless there's room for it.

Anyway this happened at night around 8pm. There was a cluster of cars all packed together that I was stuck in. Anyone who's been on Phoenix highways knows people usually drive 75-80mph sometimes even 85 on saturdays for some reason, but never the posted 65. So after a few miles, I eventually work my way up to the far left lane. I couldn't wait to get some distance between the other cars and me because I kept feeling like people were crowding me - tailgating or pulling too close to my sides. Finally the car in front of me pulls out of the way and I give it some gas. I don't remember if I was in 5th or 6th gear - definetly nothing lower than that. BTW, my car is louder than stock.

Seems like I remember this car that kept tailgating me and I just want to get away because you know how we all like driving 80mph with everyone crowding you. So I accellerate. I'm not looking at my speed, but I know it's not dramatically more than everyone else because I'm not accellerating hard in 4th gear or anything. So that tailgating car was obviously a cop it turns out and his lights go on. I pull over.

I'm thinking, great this sucks a 2nd speeding ticket on my record. I roll down my driver window and start getting out my insurance and registration. I get a knock on my passenger window. I roll it down.

"Turn the car off, and get out of the car" I slowly get out of the car.
"put your keys on top of the vehicle"
"face the vehicle, put your hands on the car where I can see them, and walk towards me"

Then he handcuffs me - never been handcuffed ever before and was kinda freaked out why such a big deal. (I've been pulled over before for going 96 and 93. In one case the cop let me go, the other he wrote me up for 85 so it wouldn't be criminal speeding)

Somewhere in there he asks "what the hell were you doing?" I said I didn't know - i just went. I didn't know it was that fast (how are you ever supposed to justify speeding?)

"You were criminal speeding"

then the usual "do you know how fast you were going?" - said I didn't know, I wasn't looking at my speed. He said he clocked me at 93

"Do you have any weapons on you?" No
then asks to search my pockets and I let him

"Do you have any weapons in the car? No

Oh, btw, there were 2 cop cars that pulled me over - that of course added to the whole thing - TWO cop cars?

He said he pulled up almost right next to me and shined some sort of light at me and did a little quick siren thing. I had my radio off and didn't hear a damn thing. As far as the light he flashed at me - i dunno, didn't notice that. It was night and a lot of people have bright headlights that go on and off as they change lanes etc behind you. I didn't notice

He said he tried to warn me, but I took off anyway. He thought I was trying to get away from him and about to go into a high speed chase.

Next thing he does is put me in his back seat handcuffed. There was no cage in his car. The other cop had to leave, but later came back. He had a cage and I was transfered to his car. At that point I was read my rights and placed under arrest.

At one point I asked what was going to happen and he said I was criminal speeding and that means I'm going to jail. I asked what was happening with my car. He said it would be towed and impounded.

he couldn't figure out how to open the passenger side door and had to ask me.

He searches my car for any weapons, drugs, etc - of course have none of that stuff.

I'm sitting in the cop car listening to the cop radio and hear something about a 300 nissan coupe that was getting towed - and to watch out for the "fiberglass bumper" - it was a little garbled, but 300 could easily mean my 350 - wouldn't be suprised if someone would mix up the name a little.

After awhile, they let me out and say they're not going to take me to jail. That they don't think it'd do much good for me. And they're not going to tow my car. But I am going to be written up for criminal speeding.

I looked up the penalty for it, and I have to first appear in court, but it looks like maximum sentence is a $500 fine, 30 days in jail, 1 year probation, and possibly 30 days of license suspension, and 3 points on my record. That's a hell of a lot more than a $200 fine and 2 points like my last ticket which was 7 months ago.

So there's my story. I'm still a little stressed out over it all. Think about all those times when you're asked, have you ever been arrested and I might have to answer yes because I went 93 and had a not very easy going cop. The entire time I was polite and agreeable.

I drove home and got less than 4 hours of sleep

Last edited by sentry65; 03-24-2005 at 09:33 AM.
Old 03-24-2005, 09:34 AM
Low J.
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

get an attorney and you'll get off light. My buddy here in NC used my attorney and got the fine reduced and no points assessed for doing 120 in a 65 on a motorcycle. My last 3 tickets all got handled by my attorney and no points assessed on any of them so I still have a clean driving record.
Old 03-24-2005, 09:34 AM
mr2fasterthanyo

i do not think it counts as an arrest because you were not formally booked into the jail. i could be wrong.

sorry to hear that man. well call a lawyer and see what he can do for you.

best of luck.
Old 03-24-2005, 09:36 AM
jimster716

Get an attorney and plea it down. Get your day in court...nobody in the court wants to sentence anyone the max penalty for doing something as miniscule as that. You'll laugh about it in a year or two...I don't think it's the kind of offense that will stop anybody from bumping up to 90 or so again.
Old 03-24-2005, 09:43 AM
hypeiv

wow those must have been some bored cops. If he flashed his lights to warn you and then you took off he may have freaked out thinking you had something on you. But after you pulled right over he should have played it like a normal traffic stop. Attorney is a must like said above... maybe the cop won't show up to court.
Old 03-24-2005, 09:56 AM
nlsqba

As usual it all depends on a cop... but honestly 90 is not even so much.

My cousin just got his DL revoked. Had two tickets +30miles and one +20miles. Not even one time he went to jail for speeding; He had some kind of an insurance bond but they didnt accept it- They just took his DL.

Chicago cops are pretty cool - if you are nice they most likely will let you go. However, I can not say this about all suburban-officers.
Old 03-24-2005, 09:56 AM
homiusang

Mike, sucks to hear that, and i can't believe what the cop said/did to you. But i am sure an attorney would help. Hope everything works out for you man, too bad I have to say all cops i have encountered here in phoenix were not cool at all.
Old 03-24-2005, 09:58 AM
tacomaboy

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sentry65
Well I really screwed up. I was debating about posting this or not, but maybe it'll help me relax a little.

Please don't post anything about how stupid I was or whatever because I think this could happen to just about any driver - especially with a car like the Z. I have enough stress right now trying to come to terms with this and don't need anyone saying how much I screwed up. Maybe some people might be more careful on the road

Basically I got pulled over last night and written up for criminal speeding at 93mph in a 65 on the I-10 highway. No one got hurt or anything like that, but I've never been pulled over for a "criminal" offense

I wasn't weaving in and out of traffic or anything of that sort - maybe some people might recall I've said a few times I'm more scared of other drivers doing something unexpected than anything so I never floor the gas unless there's room for it.

Anyway this happened at night around 8pm. There was a cluster of cars all packed together that I was stuck in. Anyone who's been on Phoenix highways knows people usually drive 75-80mph sometimes even 85 on saturdays for some reason, but never the posted 65. So after a few miles, I eventually work my way up to the far left lane. I couldn't wait to get some distance between the other cars and me because I kept feeling like people were crowding me - tailgating or pulling too close to my sides. Finally the car in front of me pulls out of the way and I give it some gas. I don't remember if I was in 5th or 6th gear - definetly nothing lower than that. BTW, my car is louder than stock.

Seems like I remember this car that kept tailgating me and I just want to get away because you know how we all like driving 80mph with everyone crowding you. So I accellerate. I'm not looking at my speed, but I know it's not dramatically more than everyone else because I'm not accellerating hard in 4th gear or anything. So that tailgating car was obviously a cop it turns out and his lights go on. I pull over.

I'm thinking, great this sucks a 2nd speeding ticket on my record. I roll down my driver window and start getting out my insurance and registration. I get a knock on my passenger window. I roll it down.

"Turn the car off, and get out of the car" I slowly get out of the car.
"put your keys on top of the vehicle"
"face the vehicle, put your hands on the car where I can see them, and walk towards me"

Then he handcuffs me - never been handcuffed ever before and was kinda freaked out why such a big deal. (I've been pulled over before for going 96 and 93. In one case the cop let me go, the other he wrote me up for 85 so it wouldn't be criminal speeding)

Somewhere in there he asks "what the hell were you doing?" I said I didn't know - i just went. I didn't know it was that fast (how are you ever supposed to justify speeding?)

"You were criminal speeding"

then the usual "do you know how fast you were going?" - said I didn't know, I wasn't looking at my speed. He said he clocked me at 93

"Do you have any weapons on you?" No
then asks to search my pockets and I let him

"Do you have any weapons in the car? No

Oh, btw, there were 2 cop cars that pulled me over - that of course added to the whole thing - TWO cop cars?

He said he pulled up almost right next to me and shined some sort of light at me and did a little quick siren thing. I had my radio off and didn't hear a damn thing. As far as the light he flashed at me - i dunno, didn't notice that. It was night and a lot of people have bright headlights that go on and off as they change lanes etc behind you. I didn't notice

He said he tried to warn me, but I took off anyway. He thought I was trying to get away from him and about to go into a high speed chase.

Next thing he does is put me in his back seat handcuffed. There was no cage in his car. The other cop had to leave, but later came back. He had a cage and I was transfered to his car. At that point I was read my rights and placed under arrest.

At one point I asked what was going to happen and he said I was criminal speeding and that means I'm going to jail. I asked what was happening with my car. He said it would be towed and impounded.

he couldn't figure out how to open the passenger side door and had to ask me.

He searches my car for any weapons, drugs, etc - of course have none of that stuff.

I'm sitting in the cop car listening to the cop radio and hear something about a 300 nissan coupe that was getting towed - and to watch out for the "fiberglass bumper" - it was a little garbled, but 300 could easily mean my 350 - wouldn't be suprised if someone would mix up the name a little.

After awhile, they let me out and say they're not going to take me to jail. That they don't think it'd do much good for me. And they're not going to tow my car. But I am going to be written up for criminal speeding.

I looked up the penalty for it, and I have to first appear in court, but it looks like maximum sentence is a $500 fine, 30 days in jail, 1 year probation, and possibly 30 days of license suspension, and 3 points on my record. That's a hell of a lot more than a $200 fine and 2 points like my last ticket which was 7 months ago.

So there's my story. I'm still a little stressed out over it all. Think about all those times when you're asked, have you ever been arrested and I might have to answer yes because I went 93 and had a not very easy going cop. The entire time I was polite and agreeable.

I drove home and got less than 4 hours of sleep

Man that sucks!! SOunds like that cop had it in for you!

I had a good scare getting pulled over at 109, but they still werent as pissed as your cop was.

Listen, dont F around, get an attorney, they arent that expensive, and they are so worth it. My ticket was written at 105 and I have to take defensive driving and pay 257 bucks and nothing on my record.
Old 03-24-2005, 10:00 AM
35ounces
03 CS Track 6MT

yep get an attorney (which will cost more than it should) and tell him the exact story above. You'll be fine (and fined).
You should have told the cop you only accelerated because someone (him) was tailgating you.
Old 03-24-2005, 10:09 AM
Qbrozen

sucks to pay for an attorney, but since jail time is a possibility (no matter how remote), you gotta pony up. If the cops say to the judge they thought you were trying to get away, it could go very bad for you. Just stick to the truth that you were trying to get out of the way of the car that was tailgating you and you didn't know it was even a cop. I think you'll be ok. Its just a big freakin' hassle. EDIT: oops, previous poster just beat me.

By the way, this just illustrates why so many folks have a distaste for cops. Yeah, there are good ones out there, but then there are so many like this who ride your *** in traffic and make you panic, and when you try to get out of the way, they bust you and treat you like you just raped and murdered their sister.
Old 03-24-2005, 10:17 AM
Masterfulks

I've often heard that anything over 90 can land you in jail.

I dunno if it's true or not....

I'd say get a lawyer and see if he can get it lowered to 89 or something and then just pay the ticket.
Old 03-24-2005, 10:19 AM
westpak
SFZCC

Mam they are stict there, I got one for 101 in a 65 and the cop didn't even bat an eye, just wrote it up and advised that I could take traffic school through blockbuster !!

Definetly get a lawyer, it soinds like the cop was just being a prlck. Tell the whole story to the lawyer and see what he thinks about the cops behaviour towards you and if it was warranted. Don't sweat it, the system is set up just to collect money so it might cost you but if you have not had much trouble in the past they would rather have you out there to ticket you more in the future.

I had 5 tickets last year andlet a lawyer handle all of them and I have a clean record, just got onne last night and guess what another call to the lawyer.
Old 03-24-2005, 10:19 AM
Masterfulks

Also a lawyer would know the full "rules" that cops are supposed to follow.

Just blipping his lights at you is probably not enough. They may be required to go full lights and siren to legally have you stop.

I've seen a cop say under oath that they never run their lights withough a siren. Total BS. I see them flash their lights and go through interesections all the time.
Old 03-24-2005, 10:48 AM
sentry65
the burninator

i wasn't even sure if they flashed their red/blue lights - when he said he flashed a light, i thought - like a flash light? cause i mean, i swear i'd think i would have seen the red and blue lights reflecting off of everything

There were two cops and i wasn't looking to my side or behind me - just forward where i was going. My theory is i think one was behind me and one was beside me - i dunno though. If they flashed their lights i might not have seen them if they were really close - especially with how narrow the Z window is and the blind spot in the Z.

Yeah, he thought I was trying to get away from him. If it was day, I wouldn't have done it because i would have seen it was a cop, but at night - you can't tell with headlights.

when he asked me why i sped up and i said i didn't know. I just didn't know what to say. Was like I was put on the spot and was so nervous with being in handcuffs - was only half way thinking of my answer cause the rest of my attention was thinking how i couldn't believe this sort of treatment was happening to me just for speeding a little - I mean, as fast as 93 is I just don't think it's dramatically faster than everyone else on the highway.

I'll look into getting a lawyer - never had to appear in court so this is sorta new to me. I'm not even sure how I go about getting a traffic lawyer - you just call up an attorney company that deals with traffic accidents I'm assuming.

but yeah, he thought something was up in order to search my car for illegal substances and weapons. He might have thought my car was stollen or something, I don't know but he never let off. At the end he hammered me with the criminal speeding ticket I think to save some face because how big of a deal he made it out to be when I ended up just being a guy who was speeding a little.

They said they were on their way to an accident - which is where the other guy went then later came back. Of course they gave me the speach about how they're not bad guys, but they figured they'd try to prevent another accident from happening - which of course they didn't know I just wanted to pull out in front of traffic and return to the normal speed.

Might also note, when the cop searched my car, he did not pop the hatch and look back there. Obviously the spare tire compartment is back there - which just has my tire there anyway if he looked.

I just felt really almost violated - I know it was all probable cause, but I actually take a little offense to him assuming I had drugs or whatever, then he didn't even thoroughly search the car all that well

Last edited by sentry65; 03-24-2005 at 10:56 AM.
Old 03-24-2005, 10:53 AM
Alonjar

That sucks man. I had the same thing happen to me one night, someone got all up on my ***, made me uncomfortable so I sped up. Flashing lights, oops, it was a cop.

Same deal, they had my girlfriend and I get out, patted us down, searched the car. Only difference is I had a toy gun in the trunk (my lincoln, not a Z), which I told them about, but they still got all uppity and were telling me I would still go to jail for having a concealed weapon, even though it wasnt real, because it "looked like it could be real". "Why do you have this? Are you afraid of someone? Is this for protection? Are you in a fight with someone? Ever been in a gang?" etc etc.. yes, its a fake gun I use for protection, and I keep it in my trunk.. cause you know, when you're getting robbed you can always hop out, go into the trunk, and shoot the robbers with a toy gun.

In the end they let me go though, and all the confusion over the gun made them forget all about the ticket. Still sucked. and I tossed the toy gun in the dumpster on my way into the apartment.
Old 03-24-2005, 10:58 AM
GQ 350z

Man, not one to be the stereotypical "sports car owner that hates cops" but sheesh that cop seems like a jerk. That's a lot of assuming on his part. Granted it was for general safety, I don't think you were treated fairly. Getting cuffed must be a terrrible experience.

Good luck in court, and try to watch your speeds next time. Do you have a radar detector? IMO I would advise you to invest in a Valentine 1.

ravi
Old 03-24-2005, 11:01 AM
Lerxst

Sorry to hear that guy... I think most of us have pushed the envelope that much. Like everyone else said... get an attorney and let him/her worry about it. I think that your charge will get reduced, based on my very limited experience.
Old 03-24-2005, 11:10 AM
5ilver5tone

tell me who thinks they got a scare...? almost the identical thing happened to me but i was on a bridge and saw a cobra and and eclipse gsx racing so i dropped 3rd and smoked em both and there was a cop on the side of the bridge i got clocked at 152 in a 55. that has to be a record of some sort for a car in my county, maybe not a bike. they were tellin me the same type of things they told you sentry like it was a criminal offense and they were going to impound my car. i was in the back of his police car for an hour and 15 min. kinda sux i think they do and say all that to scare us..in my case i was a little more careless than you. i got away with a $270 ticket.
Old 03-24-2005, 11:20 AM
sentry65
the burninator

the thing is I totally agree with the cop's view - that it would be suspicous behavior to suddenly speed up, and was ok with him searching me and the car, but there was a point where I'm sure he knew i was no real threat - just some jackass who was speeding a little. He obviously pulled up my record. And of course he didn't want to back off with the scare tactics.
Old 03-24-2005, 11:27 AM
350zluvr

There was a thread going around a while ago that stated some lawyers suing against the radar detector's mis-calibration. Supposedly, each radar gun must undergo calibration and testing to make sure it's accurate within a certain period of time. Well, police departments usually do not run these calibration tests nearly as often as needed. If their radar gun has not been tested recently, then this argument might get the whole case thrown out of court.

good luck!!!

Quick Reply: had a horrible night last night in the Z with the cops