Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

E-Z Pass and the Z

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2005, 06:52 PM
dirk

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default E-Z Pass and the Z

Anyone use E-Z Pass in thier Z? I want to get it for my Z but I don't want the white box stuck to my front glass! How ugly I was thinking about getting the license plate mounted one but mounting it behind the front grille so you can't see it. Do you think this will work? Has anyone done this?

Thanks,
Dirk

PS My front plate is on the grill not the bumper.
Attached Thumbnails E-Z Pass and the Z-zplate2.jpg  
Old 03-24-2005, 07:11 PM
Mantis3024

just put it in the compartment in the armrest and wave it out whenever you drive through
Old 03-24-2005, 08:27 PM
Mendy9677

I felt the same way. I got the license plate one but it looked awful on the plate. I also have the Zee-bracket like you. I mounted mine half behind the plate and half sticking out the side of it (if you can picture that). It kind of blends in with the grill because they are both that matte black. I also thought about mounting it behind the grill but was worried it wouldn't register. Mine is just held there by some black plastic slip-ties (kinda ghettorigged), but i wanted to see how it worked and wanted to be able to remove it with no holes left behind. If you mount it behind the grill, let me know how it works. I will try to take some pics tommorow of mine.
Old 03-24-2005, 08:29 PM
hndumafia

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

i got one because it makes the drive between home and school about 30 minutes shorter. i just leave it in the nav compartment since i dont have nav, and hold it up to the glass when i need to. once i add a screen i'll just leave it in the little storage compartment with the two cup holders, which is where i just keep a bunch of crap anyway.
Old 03-24-2005, 10:22 PM
yobri
350Z-holic

Originally Posted by hndumafia
i just leave it in the nav compartment since i dont have nav, and hold it up to the glass when i need to.
Same here. In SF, E-Z Pass is called FasTrak. With the FasTrak system, you technically don't have to have the box in your car when going through toll lanes as the camera will take a pic of your plate and then later deduct the proper amount from your account (provided that you have an account). I don't do that personally, but some BA forum members have mentioned that they do this...
Old 03-25-2005, 06:12 AM
ZU L8R
Viper Sellout

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I put mine behind the gauge cluster. Then put in the armrest when it's not needed.
Old 03-25-2005, 07:56 AM
alienx

Mine is in my NAV compartment. It's just about the right size to not even slide around (I don't hear it anyway). I never have to fumble for it in the armrest either, or try to juggle the pass and my 6 speed as I roll the booth. Just leave it in the NAV compartment and it reads every time!
Old 03-25-2005, 07:59 AM
DHawley

I just pull it out of the armrest when needed also. Works just as good and you don't have worry about seeing that rediculous white box on your windshield.
Old 03-25-2005, 08:21 AM
bixby

I don't even leave mine in the car most of the time. I let the camera pull my plate number & charge my account that way . It looks like it would mount on the inside of the nav door without obstructing anything. I actually placed it in there & carefully closed the door not to scratch my screen and it worked perfectly. with the door open it feels like there is enough clearance for the door to function with it attached to the inside. I don't know if these devises are the same size as ours in California but I would think they are.

Anybody want to give this a try & let us know?
Old 03-25-2005, 09:40 AM
shezzzhot
Abzolutely Zexy

Thanks for the info...I was contemplating buying one for Fla. and wondered where in the Z to put that white box!
Old 03-25-2005, 11:21 AM
mooredc

Where I live in Central Florida, if they take your picture three times they send you a ticket for not having your ePass mounted properly.

My ePass fits perfectly in the little sunglass box above the rearview mirror, but I don't think it will read through the metal roof ... I've been to chicken to try it [they got my picture at least twice now].
Old 03-25-2005, 04:16 PM
BadDriver

I didn't want the stupid looking white ezpass in my black z either. So I invested $.99 for some flat black spray paint. I just put some tape over the label on the front to protect it while I painted it. I think it looks great and I'm no longer embarrassed to have the ezpass in my window. The only thing that looks dumb is the clear high-strength velcro stuff they give you with the ezpass. I may change it to some black velcro stuff later.

P.S. you can see in my signature how it stood out before I painted it.
Attached Thumbnails E-Z Pass and the Z-cimg0228b.jpg   E-Z Pass and the Z-cimg0227b.jpg   E-Z Pass and the Z-cimg0221b.jpg  

Last edited by BadDriver; 03-25-2005 at 04:29 PM.
Old 03-25-2005, 05:03 PM
abstrakt

Originally Posted by Mantis3024
just put it in the compartment in the armrest and wave it out whenever you drive through
what he said
Old 03-25-2005, 06:53 PM
Armitage
350Z-holic

It never really bothered me that much. The white will match my PPW. =p
Old 03-27-2005, 11:36 AM
bixby

Originally Posted by mooredc
Where I live in Central Florida, if they take your picture three times they send you a ticket for not having your ePass mounted properly.

My ePass fits perfectly in the little sunglass box above the rearview mirror, but I don't think it will read through the metal roof ... I've been to chicken to try it [they got my picture at least twice now].
A ticket?! Dam thats cold! Half the time the ones in california won't read even when you do have it properly mounted.
Old 03-27-2005, 12:04 PM
bstfugtfomrfn

Originally Posted by Mantis3024
Originally Posted by abstrakt
what he said
what they said
Old 03-27-2005, 12:27 PM
hndumafia

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by bixby
A ticket?! Dam thats cold! Half the time the ones in california won't read even when you do have it properly mounted.

you can always call them up and tell them it just didn't work and they'll cancel the ticket though. i have a friend whose sunpass (the name in FL) wouldn't recharge and he has to go through like 4 tolls a day going to and from work. so he would still go through and just called up whoever to tell thim his sunpass was screwed up.
Old 03-28-2005, 07:02 AM
yobri
350Z-holic

Originally Posted by bixby
Or read you twice during traffic times...
Old 03-28-2005, 08:39 AM
dmh350z

Just leave it in your Nav compartment, it reads my e-z pass everytime.
Old 03-28-2005, 11:31 AM
hypeiv

the yellow RX-7 on initial D has an E-Z pass so its cool enough for my car.

Quick Reply: E-Z Pass and the Z