2003-2009 Nissan 350Z
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New member here with some questions.

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2005, 07:09 PM
05Krg350Z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New member here with some questions.

Hey,

This is my first post on here. My name is Kyle. I'm currently in the painful process of car shopping, and I'm not quite sure what I want. I have looked at everything in the auto industry over the last few months, and I've narrowed it down to four VERY different cars, but I like them all the same.
The Saab 9-3, Volvo S40, MINI Cooper S, and the most recent addition, the Nissan 350Z are all on my list.

Let me start buy saying that I'm 18 years old, and still in high school. This new car will be used as a commter car for me next year when I start college. So it has to be somewhat comfortable, but the fun factor is still more important to me. Style is also a big one. I tend to like cars that stand out in a crowd.

I currently have a 2003 Saturn Ion that I've had for almost two years. It was my first car, and a good car to learn how to drive on, but I'm definitely ready to move up.

So I guess what I'm trying to ask is this: do you guys think the Z is a good choice for me? Do you think it is a better car than the 3 European cars I'm also considering?

I really don't need a back-seat..at least I don't think I do. I am kinda short, however (5'6") so a height-adjustable driver's seat would be nice. Does the Z have that? I also tend to like European cars better than Japanese cars, but I'm willing to make an exception this time.

I'm going to drive my mom's car in the snow, because the Z obviously isn't mean for that, but it will be my daily driver 90% of the time. Is the Z an adequate daily driver, or do most of you use it as a second "weekend" car?

Also, are these cars still in high demand, or can I expect to get a deal? (especially because there's still snow on the ground here and they aren't flying off the lots)

Also, do dealers tend to only have the loaded up models in stock, or are the base models readily available as well? As I said, I'm 18, and this is going to be my "fun" commuter car, so I want to keep it as economical as possible. My parents wouldn't let me get a $30k+ car anyway. However, the $27k base model fits nicely into my budget, granted they knock a couple grand off.

If anyone has any other comments or suggestions, or wants to mention something I failed to consider, feel free to respond.

Thanks in advance.

P.S. I am going to test drive a 350Z tomorow after school, I'll let you all know what I think, I've never driven one before.
Old 03-25-2005, 06:20 AM
theonetheonly

Wow in high school I would have been lucky to move up into a 2 yr old Saturn Ion. But I am sure you worked hard to be a "good kid" to deserve such nice cars.
Old 03-25-2005, 06:29 AM
Bubble
-REPLICA ARMY-

So I guess what I'm trying to ask is this: do you guys think the Z is a good choice for me? Do you think it is a better car than the 3 European cars I'm also considering?
GO FOR IT MAN. Chicks will love you more.
Old 03-25-2005, 06:53 AM
ruah_23

The Z is def better than the other cars you have listed.
Ever consider an Evo/STI....??
Old 03-25-2005, 08:06 AM
sq40

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

nEW s40 awd t5 IS A HELL OF A CAR MAN.
Old 03-25-2005, 08:46 AM
lemurfart

id have to go with no on the volvo and saab

but damn those minis are hot, fun fun fun...but over priced

i think you get the most bang for your buck with that base model z your looking at
Old 03-25-2005, 09:08 AM
vladsstuff

I vote for the Z, although the S40 AWD T5 would be a second excellent choice if you want something fun to drive all year round & not have to use a beater in the winter. I don't own a Z ('04 WRX) but am also thinking of getting one.
If you just need a fun summer car - Z, no contest. I loved my test-drive & now I want one for a summer car.
Old 03-25-2005, 10:08 AM
Faluzure

Originally Posted by ruah_23
The Z is def better than the other cars you have listed.
Ever consider an Evo/STI....??
I agree with ruah_23. The Z is better than the Euros you listed but... considering your age.. I would recommend a Subaru WRX STi or a Mitsu Lancer EVO. There's definitely nothing wrong with you getting a Z, but those are just my feelings on other cars you should also consider.
Old 03-25-2005, 10:14 AM
BigMoeTaki42

This really is kind of pointless, this is a 350Z forum so naturally the answers you get are going to be biased toward the Z. Most of us are going to say we think the Z is the best, since most of us own one (and because it really is the best ).
Anyway, buy the Z. It rules.
Old 03-25-2005, 10:19 AM
hypeiv

I am obviously biased... I think the Z is the flashiest of the bunch... I partly went with the Z b/c it was so flashy over other more practical cars like mazda 3, mazda 6 or is300.
Old 03-25-2005, 10:27 AM
amallari

This is what I would do, save the money/downpayment for the 2007 or 2008. Keep the Saturn through college and if you keep it on campus you don't have the worry about it being keyed or vandalized. When you graduate from college then get the Z or GTR? That just my suggestion, I know your want the Z but if you wait other cars will be out there. The Z is not good in snow or ice, your going to end up trading it in one day to get something practical.
Old 03-25-2005, 10:35 AM
Faluzure

Originally Posted by amallari
This is what I would do, save the money/downpayment for the 2007 or 2008. Keep the Saturn through college and if you keep it on campus you don't have the worry about it being keyed or vandalized. When you graduate from college then get the Z or GTR? That just my suggestion, I know your want the Z but if you wait other cars will be out there. The Z is not good in snow or ice, your going to end up trading it in one day to get something practical.
Now that's a good suggestion. I had an 88' Chevrolet Corsica in high school. Then I got an 00' Nissan Altima. I loved that car and it wasn't even sporty. Then when I got through college, I traded it in for a Z.

I would say keep the Saturn. If you want something new, you can always go for a Mazda3 or something. Something newer, something kind of sporty. Then when college is over, you go all out and get the Z you want.
Old 03-25-2005, 03:39 PM
Santacruzslick
Veteran

A car is a man's extention of himself...do you want your extention to be called Mini?
Old 03-25-2005, 03:44 PM
Masterfulks

I'd get an extended cab truck.

You'll probably be doing a lot of moving around in college. (er maybe not if you're driving from your parents house), and a truck will come in handy. Not to mention using it to help chicks move especially sororities.

If you are planning on living at home and driving to college, then I vote to keep the saturn and move out.

Get an apartment with that money. You'll have much more fun having your own place than driving around. Besides if you get a Z where are you going to take the hunnies? Back to your parents house?

IMHO
Old 03-25-2005, 04:31 PM
Sensation350Z

obviously i`d say take the 350z. I mean what kind of fan-forum would this be if we weren`t all Z lovers?
Old 03-25-2005, 07:04 PM
Armitage
350Z-holic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

18 and ready to move up? What do you do for a job?

I think the suggestion on keeping the Saturn Ion is a great idea. You'll still be able to use it in the winter, relatively low maintenance, and cheap insurance.

If you don't plan on driving the Z in teh winter, what will you be driving? Do you have to get a beater? Do you plan on leasing or financing and if financing, how much do you plan to put down? Will you be working in college to manage the payments?

Also, another thing, the Z will probably be addicting to mod and modding on this car, from what I've seen, is NOT cheap.

Just some food for thought.
Old 03-25-2005, 07:19 PM
Edison_Chen

^ Agreed...