Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

"ICY" = you're on your own?

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2005, 02:42 PM
ohw

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default "ICY" = you're on your own?

We already know that the stock tire don't stick well as the temperature drops. Just occurred to me that may be "ICY" is Nissan's way to say "The stock tires are done for this temperature. Drive at your own risk. You're on your own, pal." Had a couple surprises of the back end coming out when "ICY" was on.
Old 03-25-2005, 02:47 PM
Masterfulks

I haven't had the Z in snow, but I've driven in the teens and everything did fine. Just take it easy. Accelerate smoothly and brake early.
Old 03-25-2005, 04:51 PM
PDX_Racer

Received 47 Likes on 30 Posts

Let me say this again.

THE STOCK TIRES ARE SUMMER-ONLY, NOT ALL-SEASON!

Of course, summer-only tires are going to suck on snow!
Old 03-25-2005, 05:49 PM
Juztin

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts

Everytime I see the "ICY" text I always ease up and keep an eye out for patches on the road. I dont worry about it until the temperature reads aroun 34 degrees. I've driven over water when it's saying icy and around 36+ degrees w/ no issues on many occasions throughout the two winters w/ the car. I love that little indicator.
Old 03-25-2005, 06:26 PM
DHawley

I've never driven on a set of tires that handled so differently from tire cold to warm as the stock tires. When these tires are cold you can easily send the *** around/hang it out on accident if you're not paying attention but once they warm up I've had no traction problems when the temp is low. Now I know we don't need to bring the dead horse out to beat up on it some more about these tires in the snow....
Old 03-25-2005, 07:56 PM
ohw

Guys,
I am not talking about snow, just dry roads. My Z doesn't get out much, only on dry sunny days. When ICY is on, there is no ice anywhere to be seen. But it sure doesn't stick as normal.
Old 03-25-2005, 08:02 PM
palmerwmd

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why would anybody ever think of driving summer performance tires in the winter?

It doesnt matter if there's ice out or not coefficient of friction juist drops off below 55F.

If you buy a sports car in the winter you drive iut straight to the tire shop for a winter set.

Fred..
Old 03-25-2005, 08:49 PM
DHawley

I don't drive my Z in the snow/ice but I do get it out every chance I get when the weather permits. At least to me that doesn't justify the money for winter tires.
Old 03-26-2005, 06:04 AM
mwest300zx

ohw,

You're in Canada, so your version of cold is probably a lot different than most of our versions of cold. I am in central New Jersey, I also work outside so cold to me is in the teens and 20's, anything above 32 (f) is balmy. I just got back from Ga. and South Carolina, cold to those guys is anything below 60. Anyway, it's all a matter of your tires warming up. I drive very aggressively, but on cold "icy" days I give my tires (standard Bridgestones) a chance to warm up and I do notice a big difference in the grip that it has when the tires are cold as opposed to when they have warmed up. I also have a 300zx with Kumho's on it, I notice a huge difference when those tires are cold. I can barely keep the car on the road. Once they warm up they are great. Your ambient temperature is probably alot colder than most of ours, so your tires are going to take a lot longer to heat up. Maybe you don't even drive long enough till you get to your destination for the tires to warm up. I road race and we alway take a few warm up laps to get our tires heated up before we are let loose, and this is usually in warm weather.

Last edited by mwest300zx; 03-26-2005 at 06:06 AM.
Old 03-26-2005, 08:15 AM
boldenmd

Originally Posted by ohw
We already know that the stock tire don't stick well as the temperature drops. Just occurred to me that may be "ICY" is Nissan's way to say "The stock tires are done for this temperature. Drive at your own risk. You're on your own, pal." Had a couple surprises of the back end coming out when "ICY" was on.
It's just an alert. I'm guessing all of the Nissans with temp displays say icy at a certain temperature. My 2001 Pathfinider LE 4x4 did it, and I drove it through the President's Day weekend blizzard (was that just last year or '03?) with nary a hop. It's up to the driver to evaluate the rest.
Old 03-26-2005, 09:38 AM
hndumafia

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

the stock tire start to stuck way before the icy alert goes on.
Old 03-26-2005, 04:39 PM
theonetheonly

Originally Posted by mwest300zx
ohw,

You're in Canada, so your version of cold is probably a lot different than most of our versions of cold. I am in central New Jersey,

New Jersey isn't much warmer than most of Canada.
Old 03-27-2005, 06:13 PM
cwerdna

As boldenmd stated, it's just an alert. My 02 Maxima also has the same alert.

FWIW, I have no other set of tires for either of my cars. I just never drove my Z when there was any chance of snow while in WA. I've now moved to the SF Bay Area now, and well, it basically never snows here.