Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Another rant about Nissan paint...

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2005, 03:14 PM
Santacruzslick
Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another rant about Nissan paint...

It sucks!! WTH!?!?!?
Another rock chip right in the middle of the hood! That's the 4th chip that's not on the bumper! There's about a billion on the bumper. What is wrong with this paint!? It's so crappy! I mean, there are rock chips in places that rocks don't hit hard enough to chip usually. Is Nissan ever going to start using good paint? This pisses me off so friggin bad! I spend hours making that car look perfect then a little, itty bitty, teenie weenie, pebble bounces up and chips all the way though the primer!!!

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!! Nissan Paint
Old 04-05-2005, 04:15 PM
Z CRUZN

I've just given up on the front bumper paint chips.........& gonna install a CF hood this summer......... Wish there was someone in my area that did clear bras - would re-paint the front bumper and bra it. til then.....
Old 04-05-2005, 04:34 PM
Santacruzslick
Veteran

I wish a new hood and bumper would do it. I have chips on my front and rear driver side fenders too. I figure I'll wait till I get some more chips, a few dings and then I'll have the dings removed and the car repainted. Not sure what color I would do though. Something drastic.
Old 04-05-2005, 04:39 PM
Glude

Will carbon fiber chip though? I would assume it would scratch the same and leave white marks in the clearcoat. Sucks that all you guys complain about the paint. I know the paint on my 04 maxima sucks too so I guess I know what im getting into. Since I dont own a Z yet, I think im gonna go with the ultra yellow since I have heard the paint is like 12 coats thicker or something, and the color is HOT. If anyone could answer the carbon fiber question it would be greatly appreciated because I plan on adding many carbon fiber exterior parts to the Z once its in my garage. Thanks
Old 04-05-2005, 04:42 PM
Santacruzslick
Veteran

Carbon fiber will also scratch and chip. The difference is a lot of CF scratches and chips can be repaired almost perfectly. Biggest problem for me is that nissan's touch up paint for the Daytona Blue doesn't match worth a damn!
Old 04-05-2005, 05:21 PM
PartsPeddler
Sponsor
Courtesy Nissan

What painted surface will not chip when hit by an object moving 70 MPH?
Old 04-05-2005, 06:01 PM
E.F. VaBeach

Can't explain the technical reason, but NONE of my cars (Isuzu, Mercedes, Porsche) chip like the Z does, and they all regularly run on the interstate at high speed and get ding'ed by debris.

Nissan paint is too soft. My Nissan owner buds all agree.
Old 04-05-2005, 06:09 PM
need Z

Trust me, Nissan paint is better than Mitsu paint!

Still not fantastic, but definetly a step higher.
Old 04-05-2005, 06:14 PM
Armitage
350Z-holic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by PartsPeddler
What painted surface will not chip when hit by an object moving 70 MPH?
Anything painted before the early 90's... lol.
Old 04-05-2005, 06:21 PM
ssc

yeah, thats why sometimes i dread washing my car...for the fear of finding more chips
Old 04-05-2005, 06:23 PM
Camel

Originally Posted by Z CRUZN
Wish there was someone in my area that did clear bras - would re-paint the front bumper and bra it. til then.....
Sorta close, worth the drive:

RockGuard, LLC
Mobile Service
Mt. Washington, KY 40047
502-500-5119

www.clearbra.com is your friend. I can't stress enough how great these things are. I've had them on a couple different cars now and they're worth it.
Old 04-05-2005, 07:23 PM
Z CRUZN

Originally Posted by Camel
Sorta close, worth the drive:

RockGuard, LLC
Mobile Service
Mt. Washington, KY 40047
502-500-5119

www.clearbra.com is your friend. I can't stress enough how great these things are. I've had them on a couple different cars now and they're worth it.
Thanks for the info..........
Old 04-05-2005, 07:42 PM
GZire

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

While wrestling with the hose at the service station last night I managed to give a baby tap to my fuel door area.

Yup it chipped.

Paint sucks + 1.
Old 04-05-2005, 07:58 PM
capnfrantic

No chips on Xterra or Z... Z is UY!
Old 04-06-2005, 01:15 PM
Santacruzslick
Veteran

Originally Posted by GZire
While wrestling with the hose at the service station last night I managed to give a baby tap to my fuel door area.

Yup it chipped.

Paint sucks + 1.
LOL... if you close your hood to hard the paint will all chip off too.

If I re-paint what color do you guys think I should do?
Old 04-06-2005, 01:24 PM
Alonjar

Yeah, its just crap.. lol. Just for the heck of it I just walked outside and looked at my friends pontiac, and my moms chrysler. No chips.

Well, maybe 1 or 2, but still...

*edit* Actually, the chrysler has a chip in the windshield.. go figure
Old 04-09-2005, 09:55 AM
Darthvol

Originally Posted by E.F. VaBeach
Can't explain the technical reason, but NONE of my cars (Isuzu, Mercedes, Porsche) chip like the Z does, and they all regularly run on the interstate at high speed and get ding'ed by debris.

Nissan paint is too soft. My Nissan owner buds all agree.
What year(s) are your MB and Porsche? One of my partners drives a late-model Boxster S, and the other drives a MB S Series luxo-boat. Both are black, like my ZR; both have had problems with chips.

Any polymer scientist who has worked with paint will tell you that EVERYONE'S car paint went to crap when mfgs were req'd to take lead out of the mix several years ago due to b**ching by the greenie-weenies (I mean, c'mon, does your child spend hours sniffing or licking your car's paint? If s/he does, you've got bigger probs on your hands than potential lead poisoning!). Lead in the mix supposedly allows for both a thicker and more flexible coat, whereas the new paints are all more brittle, and thus chip easier.

In fact, went by the MB dealer last week to inquire about the SLK 55AMG, and MB salesman, who had been with the company over 15 yrs, confirmed the same.

Moral: Don't gripe about Nissan; complain to congress!!
Old 04-09-2005, 09:57 AM
Darthvol

Originally Posted by Alonjar
Yeah, its just crap.. lol. Just for the heck of it I just walked outside and looked at my friends pontiac, and my moms chrysler. No chips.

Well, maybe 1 or 2, but still...

*edit* Actually, the chrysler has a chip in the windshield.. go figure

What's their mileage, type of driving conditions v. yours? You really need to know that to make a valid comparison.
Old 04-09-2005, 08:30 PM
JimH

Default Really????

With over 72,000 (no typo) miles on Marilyn, I'd hazard a guess that I have more highway miles than most, if not all on this board. I know Marilyn was the first to hit 50,000 miles and I have to say that the paint chipping issue is a non-issue, at least on my car.
I have the 3M ClearBra installed and it has been the best mod I have yet made. We made an 11 week roadtrip around the USA and clocked 11,000 miles on that trip and still the paint looks very, very good, considering the high miles and high speeds that she has been exposed to as well as being an Arizona car that suffers the daily pain of constant sunlight and high heat.
Regards, Jim
Old 04-09-2005, 08:50 PM
jeffie7

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Maybe some Z were let to sit long enough for the paint to fully cure before going to the next step in the paint department?

My Z sucks ***!!!!!!!!!!!!! I have 032980498249302394 chips! just today I waxed my car so I was able to do a run down on chip marks. and I hate to say it but EVERY F$CKING PANEL has a chip. EVEN THE REAR BUMPER!!!!!!

I don't get it! I just turned 25K miles on the clock, I drive the car 15 miles to work. I wash it once to twice a week and wax it as often as I can.
My hood alone has at least 20 different dings/chips I always touch them up as they happen.

My front bumper cover is infact so bad that it looks like a red golfball. from dimples, cut looking marks, chips, anything you can think of... I believe if I hit a bug doing 20mph it will leave a scratch or chip.

I also have a good 20+ scratchs in my car all from dumb shat. I've even scrached my paint with my finger nail!!!!!! I've even cleaned bird shat off using a wet cloth rag and had it scrach the paint. You guys have no idea how pissed I am about nissans paint. I can't even lean up on my car becuase I fear scraching it.

However, my car still looks smoken good it just has tons of chips/scratches that for the most part only I know is there. But, if you look close you can see them very easily.

Bottom line, my car will need to be repainted in a few years.

BTW I use windex and a PAPER towel to clean off my motorcycle, I've even used my finger nail to scrap bugs and crap off. My bike has ZERO scratchs on it. If I so much as to lay a paper towel on my Z it would some how manage to leave a mark. I don't know how, but it would. However my Hondas paint seems to hold up to anything.

Last edited by jeffie7; 04-09-2005 at 08:53 PM.