Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is the Z just another "flavor of the week" type of car?

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2005, 08:06 PM
n8236

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is the Z just another "flavor of the week" type of car?

Ok, no flaming intended. I'm just curious as to how it will do against the passing of time. If you dont' understand what the title is saying, what I mean is, how will its style stack against time. When the Integrea was first introduced by Acura, the stylin' lasted for 8 years (I think)? Every style gets old one day or another, but in comparision to other cars, will the Z's styling last longer than the avg car? Seeing a RX7, i still turn my head, will the Z do that in 10 yrs? Seeing an Audi TT I still turn my head. S2000 and Vette as well. I know this is a Z board, I'd figured this be the best place to ask. No biased answers would be good too, lol
Old 04-09-2005, 08:09 PM
Santacruzslick
Veteran

Well, the Z has such a following that I think it will always attract attention. Maybe even more attention as it gets older and more people learn more about it.
Old 04-09-2005, 09:18 PM
lane myers

i know what you're talking about - for me, the last gen of the supra's have a timeless look that will never get old to me. but i think this question will differ from each person that answers.

all i can say that before i bought my z, everytime i saw one going the opposite direction in traffic i would almost break my neck looking back at it, i'm not talking about looking for it in my rear view, i mean full-on snapping my neck back as i dont take my eyes off it... there's plenty of cars that past me in the opposite side of the road everyday, not all of them demand that sort of viewing... i cant be the only one. the styling of the new z will be appreciated by car people for a long time into the future.
Old 04-09-2005, 10:01 PM
Z BOY

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

as much as it still turns heads nearly 3 yrs after initial release, its gonna be a classic, imo.
Old 04-09-2005, 10:11 PM
NissanZfan

Ok, my dad owns a 1990 300zx with ALOT of mods on it and hauls ***. I remember i was 5 when he bought this car and I loved it and still do, matter of fact I drove it tonight. There are still people that look at this car, especially when your getting on the freeway onramp and take it up to about 100 fly by them, then slow down and drive a normal speed. People smile and give you a thumbs up. All I can say is the Z will always be "in stile". Im 20 now and saveing for the new Z, and have a love for them. The Z fans are the best around!!! when you see another Z you wave and they wave back, its almost something that happens only between other Z drivers and something you dont see between other cars say mustang and a mustang. Well theres my 2 cents.
Old 04-09-2005, 11:07 PM
zmespeed

all the lines work on it deffinatly alot of thought was put in to the design and i think this will add to it going down in history as a classic car. this is not just my opion you can write it down as a fact. just my $20 bucks . every once in a while i notice how some other line works with anther to help the over all floww of the car.
Old 04-09-2005, 11:12 PM
syf0n

This is an absolutely silly post. Has the Z ever been a flavor of the week car? Please. It's a heritage sports car with a long line of successful brethren. It will be just as successful (if not more so) than the rest of them, and just as long-lived.

Trending Topics

Old 04-09-2005, 11:19 PM
DAYTONA-ZED

Ive had mine for a year and it definitely still gets more looks than anything ive previously driven. Cannot say if that will still be true 2 or 3 years from now if i still own it.
Old 04-10-2005, 12:54 AM
n8236

Originally Posted by syf0n
This is an absolutely silly post. Has the Z ever been a flavor of the week car? Please. It's a heritage sports car with a long line of successful brethren. It will be just as successful (if not more so) than the rest of them, and just as long-lived.
I was directing it to mainly stylin'. A lot of cars have a long history, but that doesn't prevent it from being in the just "another car" scene. The Toyota Corolla had a successful past as well, but no one pays attention to them anymore. In any case, I hope I made my point clear.
Old 04-10-2005, 04:11 AM
zmotion

I think alot of it has to do with the exlusivity of the car. An earlier poster mentioned the supra and the rx-7 as head turners. Well, you don't see them too often and I agree that they are timeless designs. The Z is a very well laid out vehicle, but there are so many of them that I don't think they will retain the image ala a supra or rx7. Nissan generally redesigns it every what 5 years? That means an even nicer vehicle in 2008! The LAST model year of the Z will be the timeless classic IMHO....
Old 04-10-2005, 05:04 AM
Netko350Z

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Regarding the Z style. I still love the old 300ZX!

Chicks still throw their bra's and undies at my car as I drive by. My wife hates that!!!

Oh well...Pimpin ain't easy!! LOL
Old 04-10-2005, 08:54 AM
syf0n

Originally Posted by n8236
The Toyota Corolla had a successful past as well, but no one pays attention to them anymore. In any case, I hope I made my point clear.
Using an economy car like the Corolla does not make your point clear at all -- it is not on par with the Z, RX-7, Supra, etc -- all cars with sports car heritage. All of these cars in all of their various trims are still respected for what they are.

A corolla is a beater point A to point B car and has very little bearing on this discussion.
Old 04-10-2005, 09:21 AM
Z Shadow

Fellow Z'ers

What we need is the next Tom selleck to drive our car in a popular TV show

That will help it in becoming iconic I think

But I think that this car will still draw looks well into the future, but I agree that with the rarity of the Supra(which I always luved myself) and the rx7 will have a leg up in this department. The rarer will always draw more neck snaps
Old 04-10-2005, 09:21 AM
DavesZ#3
350Z-holic

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

In the year of it's 35'th anniversary, how can you ask if it's going to stand the test of time? The Z is a classic car and the 350 will easily take it's place in that lineage.

Sure, there's some people who buy them because they are "fad" buyers - i.e. they buy the latest, hottest thing. But I believe that percentage is small. All they do is provide cheaper used Z's for the sports car fan who's willing to wait for a good deal.
Old 04-10-2005, 09:56 AM
Amnbex

Originally Posted by n8236
Ok, no flaming intended. I'm just curious as to how it will do against the passing of time. If you dont' understand what the title is saying, what I mean is, how will its style stack against time. When the Integrea was first introduced by Acura, the stylin' lasted for 8 years (I think)? Every style gets old one day or another, but in comparision to other cars, will the Z's styling last longer than the avg car? Seeing a RX7, i still turn my head, will the Z do that in 10 yrs? Seeing an Audi TT I still turn my head. S2000 and Vette as well. I know this is a Z board, I'd figured this be the best place to ask. No biased answers would be good too, lol
Whenever you see a 300ZX do you turn your head?

Exactly.
Old 04-10-2005, 10:34 AM
Santacruzslick
Veteran

I turn my head whenever I see any model Z. Especially the older ones because it is very rare to see the 240/60/80's in good condition. A lot of the ones I see are all rusted out and falling apart, but when I do see one that is in perfect condition it really makes me look. There are actually quite a few 300's around here but I still love looking at them.
One time I was at a red light between a Lambo Diablo and a 300zx and I looked back and forth for a few seconds, then I turned to the guy in the 300 to compliment him on his car. LOL

Off topic- In this town it is very common to see Ferraris and Lambo's at every corner on a nice day. It's weird when I go somewhere else and people make a fuss about a Porsche or something. It makes me realize how much stinkin money people have around here. They buy every new car that comes out. First it was the H2, then the Cayenne, now everyone is buying the new Bentley.
Old 04-10-2005, 12:31 PM
the7ferret

ItÃÔ no ordinary car.
Hell I had a guy in a Bentley GT Coupe tell me nice car, and his was freaking sweet,
I was at In & Out the other day going through the drive thru and it was really busy so they had a guy outside taking orders, Well in front of me was an Porsche Carrera, and the guy didn't mention anything special. When he gets to me after I order he asks me "Is this to go, or would you like to eat this in your Z". The Z is a Z, itÃÔ been around forever, and my dad had a Z actually 4 of them. He had the 89 300ZX 4 times, every time he got another version. He loved that little car, of course he is crazy jealous of me and mine but if he was to get in my car he would never get out. My friend has a 92 300ZX TT; He wouldn't let his dad dive it so his dad went out and bought a 79 280ZX that he is rebuilding. My boss saw my Z and was mad jealous is thinking about selling his truck and either getting a Z or a G. The Z isn't a Flavor of the month is a lifestyle, hell you could even call it a religion or cult. You either love the Z or hate it your never just OK with it.
Old 04-10-2005, 01:49 PM
n8236

Originally Posted by zmotion
I think alot of it has to do with the exlusivity of the car. An earlier poster mentioned the supra and the rx-7 as head turners. Well, you don't see them too often and I agree that they are timeless designs. The Z is a very well laid out vehicle, but there are so many of them that I don't think they will retain the image ala a supra or rx7. Nissan generally redesigns it every what 5 years? That means an even nicer vehicle in 2008! The LAST model year of the Z will be the timeless classic IMHO....
That's prolly the point I was looking for. I guess being exclusive does have to do w/ price as well (a la Supras, Rx7 Japanese spec, 300zx TT). Those cars sure are fast, and still are...but w/ a price of course. Is it me or it seemed like they designed very nice looking sports car back in the early to mid 90s? lol

ya, I think I'm pretty convinced the 350z will have a lasting image just like those listed. Just thought of another point, do u think discontinuing a car has anything to do w/ it? All those cars listed were either overpriced at the time or discontinued one point or another. As a matter of fact, they were all discontinued almost at the same time (give or take 4 years) if I recall correctly.
Old 04-10-2005, 02:06 PM
NTRIGUE

The best example of timeless ever!!!

Old 04-10-2005, 02:17 PM
Paul350Z
Living in 350Z

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No.

I looked long and hard at several cars before settling on the 350Z as the best balanced car - it's got classic good looks, more than ample power, excellent handling, and yes, not bad fuel economy (at $2.85 a gallon!). There is nothing extreme in the styling and the car has great manners.

If you look at a 30 year old Porsche Carrera and then the Z you'll find more than a passing resemblance. The Z's lines match the classic 911 even closer than the current 911's - the flared fenders, wheels at the corners, the roofline slope ... integrated with the classic Z touches like the retro gage cluster and interior styling.

Classic - I'd bet on it.

Quick Reply: Is the Z just another "flavor of the week" type of car?