Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Auto dimming rear view mirror - compass or no?

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2002, 06:45 PM
NowUZme

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Auto dimming rear view mirror - compass or no?

I have seen a couple pictures of the auto dimming rear view mirror that include a digital compass readout in the upper right-hand corner. The one in my touring does not have this. Just curious as the what the scoop is on that.
Old 11-20-2002, 06:50 PM
ares
Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I dont think so... G35 has it oddly, Id guess the NAV would have it. but in no case is it in the mirror. coulda been in the computer readout. but then again, how often would you choose compass over speed or any of the other features. I had compass in my last car, didnt use it once in 4 years, I dont miss it.
Old 11-20-2002, 07:00 PM
abz123

I have the touring model and it doesn't have it on mine.

You can order it for $260...

http://www.courtesyparts.com/Merchan...ode=350Z-RVMIR
Old 11-20-2002, 07:35 PM
Radian

Originally posted by abz123
I have the touring model and it doesn't have it on mine.

You can order it for $260...

http://www.courtesyparts.com/Merchan...ode=350Z-RVMIR
Thanks, this is good information. I had first read about the compass in an article about the new infiniti M45. I was curious and was sure it was something that could be retrofitted to the 350Z. No we know for sure.

As it is, I'm a little unhappy with the rear view mirror. In order to tolerate it I have had to turn it upside down. This way the buttons are on top.

Since I am rather tall, I need to force the mirror way up to the ceiling to see well under it so I can look to the right. With the mirror upside down, I don't lose the view from the lower part of the mirror. It really helps trying to get the best compromise between having the mirror as high as possible and yet being able to see as much as possible to the rear.

I think I might look into getting a completly different mirror. Then trying to integrate the homelink transmitter and I guess I'll have to write off the auto dimming feature. But what I would have is a thinner mirror that I can sit higher and still see out the back with.
Old 11-21-2002, 06:10 AM
NowUZme

Thanks guys...

Honestly I was just curious if the compass on the mirror thing was related to VIN at all. Apparently it's not.
Old 11-21-2002, 06:47 AM
flynnibus
Z Flier

Originally posted by Radian
As it is, I'm a little unhappy with the rear view mirror. In order to tolerate it I have had to turn it upside down. This way the buttons are on top.
Jeesus dude.. how tall are you? Why not trying to lower the seat some? Or trying a more reclined seating position?

The view out of the mirror is very limited, but I haven't had any problems with positioing... its the fact the rear window is so short vertically. I see the roof and strut in the mirror to limit my vision.

I'm just short of 6'2"
Old 11-21-2002, 12:07 PM
Radian

Originally posted by flynnibus
Jeesus dude.. how tall are you? Why not trying to lower the seat some? Or trying a more reclined seating position?

The view out of the mirror is very limited, but I haven't had any problems with positioing... its the fact the rear window is so short vertically. I see the roof and strut in the mirror to limit my vision.

I'm just short of 6'2"
6'1" However, I have the Enthusiast. The seat does not go "down"

As for reclined back, If I go further back then the distance for my arms is a little too much for comfort. If I then try to slid the seat forward to make my arms comfortable, then my legs get cramped up.... The crux of the problem is I have long legs....

If only the steering wheel telescoped out 1.5 inches then all would be great for me.
Old 11-22-2002, 08:13 AM
flynnibus
Z Flier

Hrmm.. didn't realize your seat has less positioning.

The touring has **** on side for up/down.. then power front/back and power recline.

The passenger seat however only has power front/back and manual recline (no up/down).
Old 11-22-2002, 08:32 AM
ares
Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

no, all models have the same "up and down" motion with the ****, and its only under your thighs, not your ***.
Old 12-03-2002, 06:53 PM
lemans

I have been to dealers to check out these z's. The manual control on the side for the touring automatic to raise and lower the whole seat works that way on the enthusiast model too. The enthusiast model seat does go up and down. But that same manual control on the track only raises the front part of the seat. I cannot say for the base, performance or 6 speed touring since I did not check them when I had the chance. Just know that the only one I found to be different was the one for the track model.
Wayne

debating whether to buy the 350z I have due in this month.