Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Honestly 350Z or Z4

Old 04-13-2005, 02:33 PM
ANXIOUZ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When I was looking at getting a new car, the Z4 was not one of them. One drive in the Z and I was instantly sold.
Old 04-13-2005, 02:35 PM
Alonjar

Z4's are definately too small imho. and slow. Rather than list all the things I dont like about the Z4, i'll just say the only *good* thing I can think of is that it should hold its value better than the 350 just because its a BMW.

The 350 looks better, is faster, and imho an all around better car. The interior wont be as nice as the Z4, but *shrug*.
Old 04-13-2005, 03:12 PM
silverstoneTT

Have never owned own myself but went with my aunt one day and I have to say the BMW service people were much friendlier, seemed more professional, and the atmosphere was overall just better.

I must be one of the less lucky ones who has had the poor luck of getting a Z with a lot of problems that have made me have to go to the dealer more often then I'd like.
Nissan has left a pretty poor impression on me.

If I had the money, I would have bought a Z4. I think it looks great.
Old 04-13-2005, 03:44 PM
bloodwings19

Nissan > BMW. As a former Beamer driver, the only thing I like was the firm steering, other than that, its been problematic. When I buy a car, I look for reliability, and BMW don't do it for me. When warranty is out, be prepared to cut off some arms and legs to do some repair jobs. Most of the owners who don't care how their money are spent will never know the life of BMW cars, since most of them trade their cars after 3 years, or less. Since I've never driven a Z4, all I can tell you is their maintenance on BMW. We came from a 530i for more than 3 years. If burning money is not a problem, go with BMW.
Old 04-13-2005, 03:49 PM
SkiTTlez

Originally Posted by lane myers
exactly.

drive one and the decision will be made for you!

agreed on the disproportion... there's something uneasy about it... hard to believe the same people make m3's...
exactly! i had the same dilemma....for about 2 minutes! the beemer is a nice ride, no doubt, but no comparison with just flat out adrenaline in the Z
Old 04-13-2005, 04:14 PM
NeoRacer_106

If you want to maintain an egotistical and arrogant attitude on the road, by all means go Z4!
Old 04-13-2005, 04:35 PM
ohw

Before I brought the ZR, the choices for me were: ZR, Z4, S2k, Boxster. When I got to the Bimmer dealer looking at the Z4, I told myself that I can't be seen in one of these. It's just too ugly. Didn't even drive it. Drove the other 3 and bought the ZR. If I have to do it over again today, I'll drop the Z4 and add SLK350 for the list.
Old 04-13-2005, 05:16 PM
ach1lles

The main problem I was speaking of with the Z is the tire "feathering" issue. I have the impression that ALL Z's have this problem and there is no cure. True? When I read through the posts in this forum there seems to be a lot of people angry over this issue - literally thousands of posts. The Z4 forum dosen't seem to have any issues. I like the style of both cars, speed is the same, BMW has a slight edge in handing. I can get a 350Z for about $7000 less. The nearest BMW dealer is 150 miles away. Damn this is a tough choice. I really appreciate all the responces to this post.
Old 04-13-2005, 06:28 PM
kinjal

the z4 just looks plain retarded. im saying this because it was one of my top choices for a new car before i saw it in person. it is simply too dayam small. its is almost 1.5 feet shorter than the z in length, the interior is cramped, and it looks horrible with the top up. if i were you, i would get a 350z roadster. if ur looking at the z4, that means u have the itch for a convertible. i purchased a 350z coupe because i live in chicago, only to find out the next month that i was moving to florida. if i could do an even trade of my coupe for a roadster, i would. id even add 1000-2000. but i know i will get slaughtered if i try to trade in for the roadster. oh well... the coupe looks good all the time, the roadster looks good with the top down.
Old 04-13-2005, 06:46 PM
ZBoater

Originally Posted by kinjal
... oh well... the coupe looks good all the time, the roadster looks good with the top down.
I'm just not feeling the love anymore!!! I dont know about other roadsters, but MY roadster looks good ALL the time...

Old 04-13-2005, 07:14 PM
obsidian02

if you used to drive other BMW's I guess you like Z4. BMW's car on average has smoother ride than cars from nissan. 350z (track version) is rougher especially with the rumbling noise caused by the feathering, when it happened. I buy z (2003)because of the look, chasis and torque. Z4 on the other hand is nice but more feminine look and, of course, feminine size. If you have used to drive hard, ready to mod, ready to race, then you should buy 350z. I am wondering you put z4 in the list. If I were you my other alternative than z would be M3, boxter or corvette. All of these cars are lower than 50k category. 2003 version would be another alternative if the price is still too high.
I think Z4 should be categorized together with SLK, and Audi TT. Many people I know like these 3 cars because of the size and the feminine look. I mean they looks cute, beautiful rather than looks great. Also these three cars feel smoother on the road than z.
Old 04-13-2005, 07:27 PM
dcant2

I drive a 2003 Track 350z almost all year long in Iowa (no snow days). My co-worker drives a 2004 Z4 April through October. There is a significant difference between these two cars. If your looking for performance, the 350z is clearly the better car. If your looking for a weekend roadster, the z4 is your car. I've raced a M3 roadster along with an older NSX on the local freeways. The M3 roadster, which I believe is a Z3 on steroids, could not keep up. I drive the 350Z for the speed and handling. I can't see paying more for the Z4 and get less.
Old 04-13-2005, 07:31 PM
kinjal

Originally Posted by ZBoater
I'm just not feeling the love anymore!!! I dont know about other roadsters, but MY roadster looks good ALL the time...

hahahah... actually i do rescind my comment after seeing that picture. where are you from in florida? im moving to fort lauderdale on july 15th. i wish i had a roadster now that im moving there! your car looks amazing.... but i have never been a fan of soft top convertibles.
Old 04-13-2005, 11:40 PM
ironviet

Z all the way. My friend just bought a Z4 in an automatic. He is always boasting about how much of a auto enthusiasts he is so he thought upgrading from a C230 to a Z4 will put him one up on me. This is the kind of guy that once bought an onstar fin to put on his car when he doesn't even have onstar!

Well i tested against this car and compared it to the Z. Hands down the Z wins in every category except interior quality. Z gets praised everywhere for looks and performance. Z4 gets "Hmmm when does the Z5 come out cause the Z4 is fugly!"

Don't get me wrong, BMW is one of the best companies but the Bangle designed cars are ugly to me.

If not the Z, the S2000 wins hands down of the Z4 too! And if you really want to spend money get the Boxster S.
Old 04-13-2005, 11:44 PM
nbdyfcnsqnc
350Z-holic

I wouldn't trade my 350Z for a Z4, but I'd probably trade it for a 2000-something M-coupe. Those things are pretty ugly, too, and I can't even fit so well, but they're so fun to drive.

And I've always liked the looks of the Z4, but haven't driven one yet.
Old 04-14-2005, 05:48 AM
Z-Z

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You'll end up paying around $45 Grand to get the top model Z4 (the 3.0 liter sport package). And it still isn't as powerful as the any 350Z.

Don't get me wrong. I love the Z4. I think it's great looking. My wife has a BMW Z3-M roadster. Very classy car. But the 350Z is just more of a pure sports car.
Old 04-14-2005, 07:25 AM
ZBoater

Originally Posted by kinjal
hahahah... actually i do rescind my comment after seeing that picture. where are you from in florida? im moving to fort lauderdale on july 15th. i wish i had a roadster now that im moving there! your car looks amazing.... but i have never been a fan of soft top convertibles.
I'm in Tampa. Down south in the area you are going there is an awesome Z club you may want to check out. The South Florida Z Car Club. Their site is at http://www.sfzcc.com/.

Soft tops are an acquired taste. I think the ZR is pretty bold looking for a soft top. The Z4 is bolder, which is not necesarily better - some people like it more, and some people hate it more. The Z3 is one of the most attractive soft tops I have seen in a long time. I also had a Miata, which was cute.

Now I have a ZR. (All chick car comments suppressed in deference to my Miata-owning friends... )
Old 04-14-2005, 04:18 PM
Zmeflyby

Z4's are nice, dont get me wrong. The interior is better than the Z's, and also the car drives much smoother.
This is a Z site, so the answers are going to be a bit biased.
Old 04-14-2005, 05:37 PM
Santacruzslick
Veteran

Z4 is just too small inside. I saw a guy driving it and it looked like he didn't even fit. LOL
Old 04-14-2005, 07:41 PM
jcpeyton

ZBoater and danzz speak the truth. Buy the ZR, put a few $K of the saved money into a few well-chosen mods like sways, exhaust, and springs (if you want to go lower) and wide wheels and rubber. I drove both roadsters and have owned BMW's (2002tii, Bavaria w/ weber trips, and a turbocharged 530i) as well as an early 240Z. I still long for that 240Z. The Z car is so much more fun and interesting to drive.
I bought the ZR, made the mods described and I can tell you that every morning my car puts a smile on my face, and every weekend I have a ball on the backroad twisties. Absoutley no regrets. Also, I'm 6'1" and was uncomfortable in the BMW. I am never uncomfortable in the ZR- top up or top down.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Honestly 350Z or Z4