Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

'05 350Z Transmission Sounds

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2005, 10:16 PM
mmccormick

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '05 350Z Transmission Sounds

I have a 2 month old '05 Z and have noticed what appears to be a bad sound coming from my transmission since the first week. It sounds like something is loose or something is dropping out. It's a metally clanking sound that just doesn't seem right. I took the car into a local dealership and had the lead tech look at it. He said it was normal and that it was the triple cone synchronization system that is part of my transmission. What was i supposed to say to that? I am far from a car expert and am looking for someone that may have experience with this issue and some advice, if it is a flaw, on how to resolve it. My gut feeling tells me this sound is not normal. I hope my brief description is sufficient for a more experienced driver to understand. Any responses or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Old 04-16-2005, 10:53 PM
___DJK___

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do a search, or better yet, browse through the repairs section. The Z has a noisy tranny and most likely its normal. Its probably the throw out bearing you are hearing. Its loud as fk!!
Old 04-16-2005, 11:44 PM
Superhung

The Z does have a noisy tranny but I got used to mine within a day =) If something breaks, warranty all the way baby !
Old 04-16-2005, 11:47 PM
FLZ_Boy

It's pretty much the throw out bearing, sounds like a metal ball rolling around on neutral. I had that noise since I bought my Z. 7400 miles later, its still the same sound.
Old 04-16-2005, 11:50 PM
sokudo9l6

Originally Posted by mmccormick
I have a 2 month old '05 Z and have noticed what appears to be a bad sound coming from my transmission since the first week. It sounds like something is loose or something is dropping out. It's a metally clanking sound that just doesn't seem right. I took the car into a local dealership and had the lead tech look at it. He said it was normal and that it was the triple cone synchronization system that is part of my transmission. What was i supposed to say to that? I am far from a car expert and am looking for someone that may have experience with this issue and some advice, if it is a flaw, on how to resolve it. My gut feeling tells me this sound is not normal. I hope my brief description is sufficient for a more experienced driver to understand. Any responses or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
I know exactly what you mean. I'm not sure if mine is normal too. I have my Z now for about 1 1/2 months and i hear "CLUNK" noise when i push the clutch in. This clunk noise is mostly heard when shifting from 1st to 2nd. Then sometimes if i shift into third a little fast i get a "thump".
Old 04-17-2005, 12:04 AM
FLZ_Boy

The clunk noise 1st to 2nd is generally normal, some people don't have it. Of all the manual cars I have driven in life, they had this noise.
Old 04-17-2005, 05:05 AM
dirk

Mine makes all of the above noises! WTF
But I still love it
Old 04-17-2005, 11:44 AM
nbdyfcnsqnc
350Z-holic

I used to have a strange sound, that was somwhere between a "clank" and a "ping." I think it's louder outside than inside. It might still be there and I just don't notice it anymore.

For the first thousand miles or so, there was also a humourous sort of cartoon "doink" sound when I shifted at higher speeds. But that transmission was replaced at 17k. ('03 here.)
Old 04-17-2005, 11:49 AM
xxlbeerZ

Mine makes all these noises plus more. I've kind of got over it, as long as it shifts fine, **** it. (Though the 1 to 2 clunk worries me sometimes when it gets worse!).
Old 04-17-2005, 11:54 AM
JCat
---------------
Premier Member

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts

I have a 2004 and I'm on my 2nd tranny.

It isn't noisey, but you must "click" it out of each gear and "click" it into the next.

I HATE IT!!! It is no better than a manumatic (shifting an automatic manually).

Racing and power shifting is a joke.
Old 04-17-2005, 03:27 PM
sokudo9l6

Originally Posted by FLZ_Boy
The clunk noise 1st to 2nd is generally normal, some people don't have it. Of all the manual cars I have driven in life, they had this noise.
The clunk noise is loud tho...you can really hear it outside the car.
Old 04-17-2005, 04:50 PM
ssc

i also have that "clunk" or "ping" noise when i press the clutch....since all you guys have it too, i guess its normal.

sokudo: maybe you can compare your car with someone else's or ask your dealership if you can see if other cars on their lot makes the same noise.
Old 04-17-2005, 04:53 PM
nbdyfcnsqnc
350Z-holic

But you still have to wonder, because sometimes with this car "normal" means "screwed up"
Old 04-17-2005, 07:42 PM
xzbum

yeah, i have same "clunk" noise when shifting from 1st to 2nd gear,too. and i am glad everyone has same noise. lol
Old 04-17-2005, 08:10 PM
FLZ_Boy

Originally Posted by sokudo9l6
The clunk noise is loud tho...you can really hear it outside the car.
Yes, I hear it even outside of the car. I drove my brothers bimmer 330i today (~50,000 miles on the OD) and it did the same thing, but not quite as loud.
Old 04-17-2005, 09:06 PM
sokudo9l6

yeah...since everyone else has it , i feel better.

aye FLZ Boy...This is off topic. Anyways, i noticed your dyno results. They look really good! Mind telling me how you broke-in your car?
Old 04-17-2005, 09:44 PM
FLZ_Boy

yeah...since everyone else has it , i feel better.

aye FLZ Boy...This is off topic. Anyways, i noticed your dyno results. They look really good! Mind telling me how you broke-in your car?
1. I bought my Z with 76 miles on the odometer. (You know the dealership and "test" drivers obviously drove it like they stole it. To be honest, I would of done the same thing as a "test" driver )
2. I try not to pass 4000 RPMS for the first 500 miles. I must of reached 5000 RPMS by accident like twice.
3. Begining from 500 miles -> 900 miles I gradually started to bump the RPM limits up till the redline. i.e. 600 miles -> 5000 RPMs 800 Miles -> 5500 RPM 900 miles -> 6000 RPMS. I would generally reach those limits maybe 2 times a week (I love those freeway on ramps ).
4. I drove mostly early mornings @ 4:30am and late at night ~8:00pm (You can call me Night-Rider). I avoid alot of stop and go traffic. In addition, most of my miles are freeway miles. I average ~ 55 miles a day. My average freeway speed was between 65 MPH -> 75 MPH.
5. First oil change was @ 3,600 miles.
6. After the break-in period, I try to limit the WOT runs to maybe once a week, but gets tempting sometimes to do more than 3 runs a week. This is probably the grey area, so you have to judge for yourself how many times you want to be happy. I just pop in my head what my father says when I want to limit my runs per week, "There are 2 things that will happen to your car: 1. It will break in 2 years OR 2. You'll kill yourself."

Of course, my peak dyno numbers were done when the car is running at "normal" operating temperatures and at night (I've dynoed at another shop and the numbers are close ~5WHP difference). When my Z runs mid-day and the engine coolant temps are ~203 my Z gets nerfed to 235WHP/230WTQ + the nice pinging sounds.

All that power comes with a price. If I'm going to solve the pinging problem, I would look into mods that runs the Z cooler. OR limit day time WOT runs to night driving or early morning driving.

Last edited by FLZ_Boy; 04-17-2005 at 09:49 PM.
Old 04-17-2005, 10:18 PM
sokudo9l6

thanks...Your way of breaking it in is alot different from mine. I hope my car isn't going to be slow because of the way i broke it in. Heres how i been breaking-in my Z. I have about 1k mile on it right now. i have been baby'n my Z ever since i got it. I took it pass 3k a few times but I havn't been pass 4k rpm but once. (I was in "n" but i thought i was in 6th gear so i pressed the gas.) I avoid stop and go traffic but the fastest i ever went was 70mph. I rarely go on the highway. i guess my average mph range is 35-60mph.
Old 04-17-2005, 10:31 PM
FLZ_Boy

thanks...Your way of breaking it in is alot different from mine. I hope my car isn't going to be slow because of the way i broke it in. Heres how i been breaking-in my Z. I have about 1k mile on it right now. i have been baby'n my Z ever since i got it. I took it pass 3k a few times but I havn't been pass 4k rpm but once. (I was in "n" but i thought i was in 6th gear so i pressed the gas.) I avoid stop and go traffic but the fastest i ever went was 70mph. I rarely go on the highway. i guess my average mph range is 35-60mph.
I wouldn't worry too much about it. Every car will dyno differently. Everyone has a different way of breaking in a car. Best way to break in your car is drive it the way you drive daily. I'm a bit more aggressive on open areas, but pretty much a Sunday driver anywhere else.
Old 04-17-2005, 10:41 PM
pyindeem

woo.. and I thought I was the only 1 with teh "noise" , just picked up an 05 6mt last week. so far 300 miles. Good Post man.

Quick Reply: '05 350Z Transmission Sounds