Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

How do you sell your car?

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2005, 07:13 AM
twilzone

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How do you sell your car?

Hi guys. It's time to sell my Z. I've advertised for a couple weeks with no real bites. I'm asking a fair price ($23,400 for a 2003 Track model with 20,500 miles). Any idea what a dealer would give on a trade-in? Hate to go that route, but if nobody buys it, what else can I do? Thanks a lot.
Old 04-18-2005, 07:28 AM
Qbrozen

well, where have you advertised it?

Trade-in? ummmmm.... total guess on my part is about $21K .... maybe $22k on a push. What would you trade it in on, though? That could make a difference. Trading to a Nissan dealer would probably get more. And trading it in on a car that they want to get off their lot is even better.
Old 04-18-2005, 07:39 AM
King Tut

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It is hard to privately sell any car over $20,000 due to financing issues as most people don't have $20,000 to drop on a car. Your best bet is to advertise in a local free newspaper that is just classifieds and do www.autotrader.com . If you can take lots of real good pics and get them online I would also give eBay a shot.
Old 04-18-2005, 07:45 AM
twilzone

Thanks, guys.
Old 04-18-2005, 08:00 AM
wahoo5

If you live anywhere near a Carmax, let them make you an offer to buy it. Costs nothing and they sometimes make decent offers on late model, low mileage cars like yours.
Old 04-18-2005, 08:32 AM
ANXIOUZ

It took me around 5 months to sell my Ford Escape via AutoTrader. We had to lower our price quite a bit to get people to bite. Then it was a frenzy.
Old 04-18-2005, 08:36 AM
EdgeOfSanity

i tried for 2 months to sell my last car, then i listed it on autotrader and ebay the same day. I had the car sold within 3 days.
Old 04-18-2005, 09:20 AM
triso07

Sell you car, don't trade it in.

I recently posted a thread about the same thing. I was thinking of trading my car in and seeing what i can get for it. I wound up at the dealership talking to a salesman there and believe me, they will ream you with the value of your car, and the value of the one you are trading it in for.

Sell your car, get your money, then go by the car you want.
Old 04-18-2005, 12:03 PM
Superhung

I tried selling my SUV on Autotrader and I didn't get a single call for almost 3 weeks... Couldn't believe it... full stereo system, nice wheels, brand new Toyo tires, etc., and I was listing it less than what it was valued for stock...

Ended up selling/shipping it out to some guy in Texas who low-balled me.... Next thing you know, after all is said and done, I get a flood of phone calls, with one guy offering more than what it was listed for with cash in hand =( What a bummer.....
Old 04-18-2005, 12:36 PM
KenWH

Originally Posted by Superhung
I tried selling my SUV on Autotrader and I didn't get a single call for almost 3 weeks... Couldn't believe it... full stereo system, nice wheels, brand new Toyo tires, etc., and I was listing it less than what it was valued for stock...

Ended up selling/shipping it out to some guy in Texas who low-balled me.... Next thing you know, after all is said and done, I get a flood of phone calls, with one guy offering more than what it was listed for with cash in hand =( What a bummer.....
I know how you feel. When I decided to sell my show truck to get sports car I list the truck in Autotrader. For two-weeks I waited and not one single call. After two weeks I decided to just go trade my truck in on the Z.
Well the morning I get to the dealer and start the paper work my cell starts ringing. A guy has $22,000 cash in hand wanting my truck, but he naturally wanted to see it first but he was about 3hrs away in MS. I have already signed the papers plus the dealer did give me a good price for the truck so I went ahead with the trade. Figuring the tax etc. I would not have been much better off selling out-right anyway. Plus, at the time I wasn't convinced the guy was that serious.

The next day the salesman I bought my Z from calls me and tells me the guy drove the 3hrs and bought the truck from him with cash. At least I got $100 out of it due to the dealership's referral program.

Plus, the night after I got back home from the dealer another guy calls me wanting the truck.

So my lesson is if you put an ad in autotrader, give it at least 2 full weeks.
Old 04-18-2005, 01:16 PM
Superhung

Yup, sounds like me =) I lost a few thousand bucks though =(
Old 04-18-2005, 01:19 PM
Z_U_NVYN

What ever you do.....don't take it to CARMAX, they will INSULT you greatly. My friend want to sell his "05" Black WRX with only 1600 Miles on it. They offered him $22K on his first visit, then his said no thanks and tried to sell it privately(got low balled from a bunch of kids), then went back to CARMAX and just wanted to rape him by offering him $20,500. Bottom line, CARMAX will give low blue book or below depending on the shark dealing with you at the time. CARMAX told my friend that they will have to make $5K on the car so their mark up on their vehicles are approx $5K above what they take them in for. Good luck.........just giving you some real life experience from the CARMAX perspective.
Old 04-18-2005, 01:43 PM
HyperSprite
Mad Scientist

I drive mine till they are about to die and give them to family members.

Looks like I'm gonna have the Z a long time.

Chris
Old 04-18-2005, 02:34 PM
n8236

First, just make a post in this forum and other Z forums, and check only once awhile because most ppl that roam these boards already have a Z, lol.

I recommend Craigslist, I got 4 responses the next day. Reasonable prices, of course lol