Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Anyone have experiences with Nissan "tire growl" check...?

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2005, 10:13 AM
nbdyfcnsqnc
350Z-holic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone have experiences with Nissan "tire growl" check...?

How many others got this "tire growl" notice from Nissan about 2003 Z's? It red & white cardstock with a "Checklist for Reimbursement of Prior Front Tire Replacement." It says Nissan will swap or replace the front tires up to 21,000 miles.

I have 19k and the noise is just becoming embarrassing (I mean, literally, when I have passengers, and it warbles and drones). It's probably twice as loud as it was 2000 miles ago, which I thought was reasonable, but back then I couldn't see any fraying. So, I just dropped off the car at the dealership, and they had me sign a thing saying I'd have to pay $91 if they check it out, and alignment is not the problem. I think it is, because the tires are fraying inside, and I don't think that can be from normal wear.

The dealer said Nissan sent this out this notice to "placate customers" who are "whining about their tires," when they should expect that from a performance sportscar. He said the "same thing" happened with some Acura (RSX if I heard correctly).

I also asked if they could check for commonly known problems, and the dealer says they won't check for anything unless I tell them specifically what to check for, or I bring in a paper from Nissan that says to check for the common problems (which I have around here somewhere, but have to search). So I asked them to fix the window grease finally, and he acted as if he's never heard of the problem, which I don't quite believe.

But doesn't that seem silly? Take your car in so we can tell you if it's our problem or yours, and if it's yours, pay us $90 bucks AND go buy new tires? And I have to trust a dealer to decide in my best interest? I called Nissan's hotline to see what's up, and the recording at 800-343-0294 seems to say it's a FREE check, yet the woman I spoke with agrees I still have to pay if it's not an alignment issue covered by the extended 21,000 mile tire warranty.

So what do you guys think, and what has been your experience with this?

Last edited by nbdyfcnsqnc; 04-15-2005 at 10:25 AM.
Old 04-15-2005, 10:57 AM
CelticPride2

That pay us $90 thing is total BS....I took my card from Nissan into the dealership the week after I got it, and they were totally cool with it. Told me they would investigate the problem, and if I did have it, they would fix it ASAP (which they did). Nowhere along the line did they make me sign a form obligating me to pay them for anything related to the inspection.
Old 04-15-2005, 11:04 AM
MA4

take your business elsewhere
Old 04-15-2005, 11:06 AM
nbdyfcnsqnc
350Z-holic

That's what I thought, too. Because now they can make up any story they want, and get a free $91. They have an incentive to not help me. Of course they're not going to say it's the alignment! Oh man, I wish I would have driven to Corona. It's like 40 miles away, but I can trust them. Good job, Charlie Brown

Oh well, the Nissan rep on the phone said I can take it to another dealer to contest it, and that's probably what will end up happening...
Old 04-15-2005, 11:07 AM
bigFenE

Holy **** !

I thought it was only me. My car roars like a $2 ***** on crack. Its so bad I almost get a headache when slowing down from like 30mph.

Thats what that noise is? The F'in front tires ? WOW......

Wait, Nissan should be paying for new tires or alignment!!

There has to be a way to confirm if Nissan is responsible@!
Old 04-15-2005, 11:09 AM
nbdyfcnsqnc
350Z-holic

>> There has to be a way to confirm if Nissan is responsible@!

That's the problem... they say to take it to the dealer, and ask the dealer... and then the dealer says "you're right and here are your free tires" or "you're wrong, and you owe us $91." LOL.
Old 04-15-2005, 11:11 AM
bixby

There is a TSB. Take it to the dealer for "free" tire replacement! Make sure they follow the TSB & also do an alignment.
Old 04-15-2005, 11:14 AM
nbdyfcnsqnc
350Z-holic

>> I thought it was only me. My car roars like a $2 ***** on crack. Its so bad I almost get a headache when slowing down from like 30mph.

Oh man, yeah, that's exactly what it sounds like

When I get some time, I'll type what the Nissan letter says... gotta finish work and taxes right now...
Old 04-15-2005, 11:28 AM
Dr Bonz
Charter Member #19

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

There is absolutely no question that it is an alignment problem. Nby, you can't necessarily SEE the feathering. You CAN feel it though.

I think they are feeding you complete BS. I'd take it to another dealer and tell them you want the TSB done on your car.

Forgive me if I am insulting your intelligence here but in case you don't know what to feel for, here is my infamous pic of "The Tire Feathering Exam".

This is a pic of the driver's side front wheel. You are looking at the front of the wheel with the steering wheel turned all the way to the left.

The TSB number for the new tire warranty is: NTB04-043 and the number for the Grease Streak TSB is: NTB03-029.

I have the full TSB's in pdf format and can e-mail them to you if you need them. They are too large to post.
Attached Thumbnails Anyone have experiences with Nissan "tire growl" check...?-tire-feathering-copy.jpg  
Old 04-15-2005, 12:25 PM
bixby

Do a search on this forum. They're are lots of TSB's on the 03's. And just because the dealership is being difficult, I'd take every single one that applys to your car to them & make them perform it even if it hasn't been a problem.

My dealership (or the one I use) is the exact same way. They don't push back so hard anymore since I've been taking my Z's to them for almost 20 yrs. I think they crenge when they see my name on the work order. I've made them perform every TSB on my car. The window grease 3 times! And it's back again!! I think I'm going to live with it now. Sick of taking my car in.
Old 04-15-2005, 01:26 PM
nbdyfcnsqnc
350Z-holic

I did the window grease one this time... but I'm afraid they're going to screw up my doors now

Thanks bixby & bonz, I found the TSB the doc posted and printed it out. I'll email you about the PDF's doc, if you don't mind. That would be even cooler than plain text.

Oh yeah, and there is visual fall-apart of tire tread, uh, proximally? (Towards center of car.)

Last edited by nbdyfcnsqnc; 04-15-2005 at 01:29 PM.
Old 04-15-2005, 01:43 PM
bixby

Originally Posted by nbdyfcnsqnc
I did the window grease one this time... but I'm afraid they're going to screw up my doors now
Exactly! One the 1st repair they distroyed my panel clips (u can feel door panel give when pulling the door shut). I made them fix it! On the second grease repair they distroyed my tint. Also made them repair, which sucked & didn't match (poor quality tint material) because they didn't use the same place I had it done at. Made them fix that AND use the same company! On the 3rd repair I ended up with major wind noise and a window rattle when closing the door. I had that fixed as well but since then the grease has come back.

I'll report it again when I take it in for service, then have it fixed on the next service. I'm so tired of these trips for repairs. 1 for them to check it, then another for repair, then another to re-repair, etc, etc.

I need to find a new dealership.
Old 04-15-2005, 02:18 PM
Dr Bonz
Charter Member #19

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

I've had the grease streak from day one, but I'll be damned if I'll let them mess with my doors. They'd screw up something for sure. I use Z-6 on my windows and it seems to keep it under control.

Todd, I e-mailed you those TSBs in pdf format.
Old 04-15-2005, 03:20 PM
SekZee

question...

if my car has 26k, and it just started doing it like 2 months ago, and now its really loud...

You said they'll replace it for free if its under 21k, what if its over 21k?
I guess ill have to pay, eh?
Old 04-15-2005, 03:25 PM
bixby

Originally Posted by SekZee
question...

if my car has 26k, and it just started doing it like 2 months ago, and now its really loud...

You said they'll replace it for free if its under 21k, what if its over 21k?
I guess ill have to pay, eh?
I'm not sure. I think there is a prorate of some kind. I'd argue your case tho. The other issue is that you've got 26k on them. Thats pretty much end of life (or past) on a ultra high performance tire.
Old 04-15-2005, 05:27 PM
nbdyfcnsqnc
350Z-holic

>> Todd, I e-mailed you those TSBs in pdf format

Thank you! These are cool, with the pics and everything. I kept them with me when I went back to check on the dealer, but I didn't need to show them because their engineer opted for the replacement, and even had tires on hand. (Hmm, I wonder why?) They had already fixed the streaks, and I have my fingers crossed about what will come of that. But I needed to leave it till tomorrow morning so they could swap the tires.

>> You said they'll replace it for free if its under 21k, what if its over 21k?

I'll go get that mailer and see if it says anything helpful for you...
Old 04-15-2005, 07:46 PM
nbdyfcnsqnc
350Z-holic

(Sorry I took so long, but a couple things came up.)

Anyway, this applies only to 03 Z's, and it was sent to me in the mail around February, I believe. (But I just found it with my tax stuff. )

What Nissan Will Do:

...Nissan is extending the warranty for front wheel alignment on your 350Z to 2 years from the original in-service date. ...

Note: If it is determined that replacement of the front tires is covered and necessary: Tires with less than 21,001 miles of usage will be replaced free of charge; Tires replaced between 21,0001 and 30,000 miles will be prorated and Nissan will pay for a percentage of the tire replacement cost.
They also have a provision to reimburse you if you've replaced your tires due to the noise. You'd need the new tire invoice and car registration.
Old 04-18-2005, 10:55 AM
longbowe

Originally Posted by bixby
I'm not sure. I think there is a prorate of some kind. I'd argue your case tho. The other issue is that you've got 26k on them. Thats pretty much end of life (or past) on a ultra high performance tire.
How about the alignment though? Will they still fix that under warranty?
Old 04-18-2005, 12:06 PM
nbdyfcnsqnc
350Z-holic

I think they'll align it no matter what, Bruce, as long as you have OEM or OEM-sized tires, and there's a loud tire noise when braking under 30 MPH. There don't seem to be any limitations on that in the owner's mailing, except "2 years from the original in-service date."
Old 04-18-2005, 01:23 PM
drgenefish

what if i have a 2004.5 350z? I had the same problem and they are charging me like 90 bucks to do a realignment and are just swapping the tires around...can i use this tsb with an 04 car?

Quick Reply: Anyone have experiences with Nissan "tire growl" check...?