2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

~!JAPANESE TUNER!~ D-speed Carbon Fiber hoods

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2002, 02:25 AM
devin11

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by PhoenixINX
Hey kid... try the McLarenF1...

Body = 100% Carbon Fiber... Thanks... Play again next week!

you're kidding right? You're comparing a riced out honda civic with a carbon fiber hood that I agree looks like complete crap ...to the worlds best car (IMO). That's just wrong. The McLaren is entirely comprised of carbon fiber... a LITTLE different than a dumb hood on a car. Not only that they PAINTED the McLaren's carbon fiber...
Old 11-23-2002, 02:36 AM
Phatmitzu

Thumbs up

Kool! I love CF hoods, it really gives the car the JDM look. Hey! it can even improve your jump start, no? CF hood is much lighter..lighter the front..weight shift to the rear..rear wheel drive..more grip? But I dont think theres a point paint the CF hood tho, can just buy a fiber glass hood for a much cheaper price, still lighter than stock, paint it..works the same?
Old 11-23-2002, 07:04 AM
^Tyr

from everyting everyone has said so far thier main complaint is they dont see purpose when we already have an aluminum hood. that makes sense, i can agree with that. but why dont you just say that or not say anything at all. instead of making people who are interested in the product wade through 4 pages of "it looks like rice". seriously we get your guys point. its not like signing a petition or soemthing more names sayin you dont like it is going to stop someone who does want it from buying it.

on another note. i did wish they made the hood with some sort of venting/ducting or something. it would help make more sense in paying for a few pounds weight savings.. oh ya but i like the look of CF i'm just not going to pay that much for it until it actually does have a use.

350GTR - you wont have to worry about hydro lock from rain falling down into the motor .. unless your driving into a lake.
hydro lock requires the intake to suck up a whole lotta water in order to get enough water into the cylinder that it cannot combust nor compress the water.
a few rain drops will not hurt
Old 11-23-2002, 10:03 AM
Traffic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is D-Speed also making a body kit for the Z??
Old 11-23-2002, 10:25 AM
spf4000

Originally posted by Phatmitzu
Kool! I love CF hoods, it really gives the car the JDM look. Hey! it can even improve your jump start, no? CF hood is much lighter..lighter the front..weight shift to the rear..rear wheel drive..more grip? But I dont think theres a point paint the CF hood tho, can just buy a fiber glass hood for a much cheaper price, still lighter than stock, paint it..works the same?
How does a CF hood give a car a JDM look?? Do you even know what JDM stands for?

And as someone else on this thread pointed out already, CF hoods do not make much of a difference on the 350Z because it comes with an aluminum hood stock.
Old 11-23-2002, 11:35 AM
Gin262

Originally posted by 350GT-R
I would just hate to have water in the engine bay and getting suck up by the filter causing Hydro-lock.
That won't happen. You have to pretty much submerge your intake pipe to cause hydro-lock.

Blake
Old 11-23-2002, 01:15 PM
electrokill

Originally posted by devin11
you're kidding right? You're comparing a riced out honda civic with a carbon fiber hood that I agree looks like complete crap ...to the worlds best car (IMO). That's just wrong. The McLaren is entirely comprised of carbon fiber... a LITTLE different than a dumb hood on a car. Not only that they PAINTED the McLaren's carbon fiber...
Uh what exactly are you trying to say?
You completely missed PhoenixINX's point. Go back and try reading it again.

And you think just because the Z isn't completely comprised of carbon fiber, none of its parts should ever be replaced with it? Where's the logic behind that? It's a FUNCTIONAL upgrade. Sure it's costly considering what little weight savings it would provide, but if you can afford it, why not? And who says you can't paint the carbon fiber hood?
Old 11-23-2002, 03:12 PM
MannishBoy
350Z-holic

Drop a hundred calories per day, and you'd have that weight savings in a few weeks

Of course, the hood could also provide added weight savings in your wallet on top of the 3 lbs or so in the front of the car
Old 11-23-2002, 04:18 PM
Phatmitzu

Originally posted by spf4000
How does a CF hood give a car a JDM look?? Do you even know what JDM stands for?

And as someone else on this thread pointed out already, CF hoods do not make much of a difference on the 350Z because it comes with an aluminum hood stock.
1) Most Japanese market are focused on a cars performance other than the cars look. So its hardly to see any cars in "Option" or Best Motoring video with a "Painted CF hood"...cuz WTF is the point?
2) JDM = Japanese Domestic Market.

I have answered your questions, inow ts your turn to answer mine...
Is the stock alumium hood lighter than CF hoods?
If it doesnt make any difference, why would they make one anyways?
Why do you have lesser points than your posts?
Old 11-23-2002, 05:29 PM
TJZ

1) Most Japanese market are focused on a cars performance other than the cars look. So its hardly to see any cars in "Option" or Best Motoring video with a "Painted CF hood"...cuz WTF is the point?

Why do you have lesser points than your posts?
so you're saying wtf is the point of a CF hood if it is painted? That makes no sense. Maybe you made a typo. How about the weight savings? You know, since that is the only point of getting a CF hood. If you didn't make a type, you're the reason they get labeled as rice.

btw, points don't mean anything
Old 11-23-2002, 06:38 PM
qirex

just save your $600 and simply get

1 "mugen" sticker
1 "powered by honda" sticker

that alone is worth 6Hp

end of story!!!
Old 11-24-2002, 03:48 AM
Phatmitzu

Originally posted by TJZ
so you're saying wtf is the point of a CF hood if it is painted? That makes no sense. Maybe you made a typo. How about the weight savings? You know, since that is the only point of getting a CF hood. If you didn't make a type, you're the reason they get labeled as rice.

btw, points don't mean anything
eh...my point was, CF hoods are kool, for the weight saving. But then theres no need to paint them. And no, I didnt make a type ero. Rice? dude, I hate people label others as Rice. WTF do you know about beening a Rice anyways? Are you one? If not, STFU, and CF hoods makes you a Rice???......huh?
Old 11-24-2002, 05:02 AM
Omega_Rains

Originally posted by qirex
just save your $600 and simply get

1 "mugen" sticker
1 "powered by honda" sticker

that alone is worth 6Hp

end of story!!!
Dude the alum hood is almost the same wt, fighting over this makes no sence WTF. If it isn't broke dont fix it, if it actually aids in function hence a super-charger intake or something thats one thing. This seems to have no function other than being 3lbs lighter for 600.00 and lets talk shipping from Japan add another 250.00 and then were talking 850.00 when were done-the only thing thats getting lighter is your wallet. On the street or track 3lbs aint shat, whats the numbers agian on the track for every 100 lbs in weight reducation ya gain .1

I think too many have been watching the fast and furious again

I had a gain of 10hp by adding a no fear sticker....................
Old 11-24-2002, 06:16 AM
^Tyr

phatmitzu: i agree with you. in those option and best motoring vids and stuff. they dont paint it. no not cuz they wanna look diff even though the look is cool and they know that. but they dont paint it because you radding more weight by painting (minimal but weight just the same) and it costs money ... money you could put towards more parts to make your car faster
seems quite sensible and logical to me.

granted on a car w/ aluminum hood the difference is minimal. but hell if they sold some cf doors or a hatch for the z
i'd look into getting those as well. after i'd bought up all the bolt on stuff that has good value - money ratio
Old 11-24-2002, 06:39 AM
qirex

my wife sez... "lose some weight"!!

hey, a fool and his/her money are soon parted.
Old 11-24-2002, 10:15 AM
rodH

aren't the McLarens body parts painted??? (btw, paint adds weight). there is a HUGE difference.

Since the hood is already aluminum, I would be willing to bet that with variations in the manufacturing process, when you take off all the unneccessary hardware that you will NOT have with the CF hood hte wt will be very close.

btw, I use to work retail in the bike bussiness. I once ordered a very high end CF MTB frame (full suspension) I got the 2nd one ever sent out, I was all happy, light wt, CF look, etc....the only problem is that they had a recall on the frame and were FORCING every owner to send it back and get the Extruded Aluminum version and a $300 rebate, guess what.........the Aluminum was Lighter AND stronger (the factory lied about the CF one being lighter to get more sales and hype). I am NOT saying this has a direct relation with car parts, but this company (Specialized) had far more resources than 99% of the aftermarket car parts companies.

I can't wait til someone wieghs the stock VS the CG without hardware to see what the TRUE saving really is.
Old 11-24-2002, 10:27 AM
ares
Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ok guys... seriously cool it. 5 lbs is 5lbs, yes its worth it, do you know that some serious racers will strip the car down and saw off the ends of bolts beyond the required length? thats good for a few lbs at best, but takes a huge amount of time for what seems like negligable weight. but they do it anyway.

sooner or later, you run out of stuff to do and 5 lbs starts to sound real good.

if someone wants to spend 600$ on a CF hood, what does this matter? are they hurting you? I personally cant justify the 600$ YET, but if I come to a time where I just cant think of another place to spend 600$(boy I really hope this time comes) then Ill order one.

till then Ill wait for other carbon fiber parts, peices that replace steel body panels that arent already aluminum.

there is an *** for ever seat. that may be a bad metaphor since buying a carbon fiber hood is hardly completely useless as are many "rice" items. or maybe a limb fell out of a tree, or an ******* egged the hood or keyed it. any number of reasons why a hood would need to be replaced, and could make an outstanding arguement to replace with carbon fiber as long as your doing it. there are many reasons to produce and sell such a product.

*on a personal note, compaing the F1 to this is a bit far fetched, theres no question the car is incredable. but then again, if I had 1.25mill in my pocket, you would probably still see the Z in my driveway, not that over priced exotic; prettier to look at and dream of than to own.*
Old 11-24-2002, 01:39 PM
TJZ

eh...my point was, CF hoods are kool, for the weight saving. But then theres no need to paint them. And no, I didnt make a type ero. Rice? dude, I hate people label others as Rice. WTF do you know about beening a Rice anyways? Are you one? If not, STFU, and CF hoods makes you a Rice???......huh?
I wasn't saying that cf hoods are rice. I was saying that getting them for "the look" is stupid and that's why the get labeled "rice" by other people (not me).
Old 11-24-2002, 02:38 PM
Phatmitzu

Originally posted by TJZ
I wasn't saying that cf hoods are rice. I was saying that getting them for "the look" is stupid and that's why the get labeled "rice" by other people (not me).
I guess I read it wrong then. Yeah, to spend hundreds of $$s on the CF hood just for the look is not really worth it. But damn, if I have some extra $$ on hand, I will get the them in CF instead of Fiber Glass for sure.
Old 11-24-2002, 03:08 PM
TJZ

I guess I read it wrong then. Yeah, to spend hundreds of $$s on the CF hood just for the look is not really worth it. But damn, if I have some extra $$ on hand, I will get the them in CF instead of Fiber Glass for sure.
Fiberglass

Quick Reply: ~!JAPANESE TUNER!~ D-speed Carbon Fiber hoods