Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Am I the only one sick of how our AC works????????

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2005, 01:17 AM
joust75

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Am I the only one sick of how our AC works????????

What the fuxors is with our AC system???? Evertime you turn on the fan or heat it has to come on.

I turn on the defroster and the AC compressor goes on. I turn on the heat and the compressor goes on. Finally if I just want uncooled air from the vents it goes on as soon as I turn the fan ****. WTF?

Why does it have to be automatic??? I am so sick of having to turn the AC off every time I want to use the heat, defroster or just the vent system.

Most people dont care because they are not aware that the AC compressor is on. But I am. I see that annoying little light and hear the compressor letting me know that it is on; Robbing me of horsepower (a small amount but all the same) and just wearing itself out so I have to buy another one from nissan as soon as my warranty is up. Is this why Nissan does it this way? So the AC wears out from overuse and we have to by $$$$ parts from them. I only use my AC over summer, and even then only about 3 times a week. I am sick and tired of pushing that stupid button.

I call bulllshit on this!!!! I want my Z to behave like a normal car. A car that does not turn the AC compressor on until it is supposed to be on.When I go back into the dealer, I am going to demand a fix. This is bulllshit!!!
Old 04-22-2005, 02:19 AM
thaiguy78

LOL, It is kind of irratating. My main problem with the AC is that when I turn it on to blow cold, it takes a good 2min before cold air comes out. Is that normal? I know it wasn't on any of my previous cars I haven't had the time to take it in.
Old 04-22-2005, 03:06 AM
joust75

Originally Posted by thaiguy78
LOL, It is kind of irratating. My main problem with the AC is that when I turn it on to blow cold, it takes a good 2min before cold air comes out. Is that normal? I know it wasn't on any of my previous cars I haven't had the time to take it in.
Hmm only about 30 secs for me.

Wait a minute, MAybe its because those bastards at nissan have engineered the AC on my car to be on all the time so it breaks down quicker and I have to buy a new AC compressor from them. Ohh god am I mad now.
Old 04-22-2005, 03:46 AM
BigMike

You might notice that a lot of cars with automatic climate control do this. But you do have a couple of choices. Learn to live with it or buy another car. Nothing to get so worked up over. Sheesh.
Old 04-22-2005, 04:37 AM
doodeitstom

Dude you have 287 horses. Losing an extra 5 to a compressor isnt going to hurt.
Old 04-22-2005, 04:46 AM
Netko350Z

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

My Audi does the same. When I put on my front defroster, the a/c kicks on. Whenever I put on any heat the a/c is also on. I have to push the "Econ" button to turn off the a/c. My a/c is always on unless I turn it off.

When you have the a/c on it helps pull the humidity out of the air to help defrost the front windows quicker.
Old 04-22-2005, 05:18 AM
NeoRacer_106

I thought we only have 240 horses at best from peoples Dyno's, I dont think we can spare 1
Old 04-22-2005, 05:19 AM
King Tut

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by joust75
When I go back into the dealer, I am going to demand a fix. This is bulllshit!!!
My A/C works perfectly. You expect Nissan to completely change the way the A/C computer system works just for you.
Old 04-22-2005, 05:22 AM
Asterix

I'm with y'all. It's 11 degrees outside and it turns on the A/C. That's just wrong. Yes, I can understand it turning on the A/C when you set the dial to defrost, but it is quite excessive. So, I've made a habit of turning it off, just like the TCS.

The problem is that it may look like a little, tiny, insignificant problem, but when I have to turn it off every time I turn on the car and every time I move the dials, it builds up fast. Very quickly it becomes a very large annoyance.

Sure one gnat is a tiny little bug, but spend an hour mowing the yard with them a few dozen of 'em following you around the whole time and it gets really old.

Asterix
Old 04-22-2005, 05:24 AM
tacomaboy

What pisses me off is how it constantly switches from re-circ to fresh, and I have to smell the morons exhaust in front of me in traffic. It should STAY on whatever I set it, not decide to switch to fresh just for the hell of it!
Old 04-22-2005, 05:29 AM
KeithZ

Dude, do you always wake up in a snit? Why did you buy the car in the first place. There is an off button, use it and shut up. Or trade it in on a Honda economy box without auto climate control. Take it out to the woods, shoot the AC compressor and burn it. You have many options.
Old 04-22-2005, 05:31 AM
tacomaboy

Well hell, lets all just suck Nissans nuts.

Heaven forbid I complain that the damn computer decides to make me eat exhaust at random.
Old 04-22-2005, 06:01 AM
KenWH

Originally Posted by KeithZ
Dude, do you always wake up in a snit? Why did you buy the car in the first place. There is an off button, use it and shut up. Or trade it in on a Honda economy box without auto climate control. Take it out to the woods, shoot the AC compressor and burn it. You have many options.

I think just about everyone finds things to nitpick after owning their new car for awhile. It's hard to catch everything on a test drive.

I agree with other's on AC system. It's the first car I've owned that wouldn't let you recirculate the cabin air unless the ac is on. This is most useful in winter to help heat up the car or in the spring/summer when I pass by someone mowing grass.

My mom's honda pilot has auto climate but will let you select recirculate even when the ac is not on.
Old 04-22-2005, 08:30 AM
BigMike

In my '05, I have no problem selecting Recirculation with the A/C off.
Old 04-22-2005, 08:53 AM
LATEZ

I have the same problem ...gets worst when it gets warmer or maybe jus more noticeable sux when you have a blk car too
Old 04-22-2005, 08:57 AM
tacomaboy

Originally Posted by BigMike
In my '05, I have no problem selecting Recirculation with the A/C off.

You can set recirc on with the AC off on mine too. BUT when you turn the AC off, it sets it to fresh. When you set it to Auto, it usually sets it to fresh. Defrost sets it to fresh. Too many things automatically set it to fresh and too few set it to recirc.

Still.. my wifes Murano is worse... hers acts the same, but its not a simple ****, it has buttons, and you have to sit there pressing buttons like a fool if you want to go from feet to head vents. And of course while doing that it swaps to fresh, so after pressing the Mode button 10 times (to go from feet to head) then you have to press the stupid recirc button..... but it does have dual climate which is cool enough to make up for it.
Old 04-22-2005, 09:11 AM
KenWH

I guess they got enough complaints that they changed it on the 05's.

Here's how my 04 works:
Regardless of where my climate control ***** are set...if I press the recirc. button it will switch on the ac and if I press the ac button to turn it off... it switches back to fresh air on it's own.

So far I love my Z and if the bossy A/C system is the only annoyance I find with it...I'll survive.
Old 04-22-2005, 09:14 AM
Camel

It is annoying I agree. I believe my Xterra leaves the compressor running once it's been turned on until you restart the engine, even if you shut the A/C off. I hope the Z doesn't work like this...
Old 04-22-2005, 10:23 AM
kpiskin

I have a Volvo that does the same thing, and I was upset about it but then read more in the owner's manual. The reason for the A/C being on alot is because it defrosts the windows more quickly because it takes humidity out of the air, so even in cooler temps the A/C can help clear the glass faster than regular heat. Additionally for the Volvo, if I'm in climate control mode the A/C light being on means nothing. The A/C could be on or off depending on the situation. I'm not sure if for the Z this is the case though.
Old 04-22-2005, 05:16 PM
Santacruzslick
Veteran

It is annoying, and if it is really that annoying to you...get a secondary switch installed just for the compressor. I agree about the re-circulating too. I hate when I go to change something I start smelling exhaust.

Quick Reply: Am I the only one sick of how our AC works????????