Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Nose Mask ?

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2005, 06:42 AM
withak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have had bras on my last three cars. Had one problem with a "Le bra" it was junk and looked like crap. but I have gotten Covercraft, Colgan Custom, and Nissan factory and I have had zero problems since. Here is the trick though, take it off if it rains and if it is very dusty. At least take it off once a week and wash and wax the car (like that is tough for anyone here). Replace the bra and put a coat of vinyl protectant on. I also bought a set of Colgan Custom mirror bras and I love the way it all looks on the car. I have a silverstone 04 and the black contrast is "rockin" IMHO. Bottom line, keep it clean and you wont have any problems.
Old 04-26-2005, 08:22 AM
ZZtopp

Originally Posted by TChachas
New to the boards.

Personally, after using the nose mask after 6 mos. in Salt Lake/Park City, UT, I found that it did quite a bit of damage to the paint. Now that I am back in California I rarely, if not never, use it. The others advice is well though. Rotating will save you a lot of time and grief.
Just curious, how did it damage the paint? I've had it on and off for almost three years with aboslutely no damage whatsoever.
Old 04-26-2005, 11:20 AM
TChachas

Originally Posted by ZZtopp
Just curious, how did it damage the paint? I've had it on and off for almost three years with aboslutely no damage whatsoever.
I think it was from the salt build up in the Salt Lake air during the winter months since I had to drive my car up to the lake for awhile.
Old 04-26-2005, 01:05 PM
ZZtopp

Originally Posted by TChachas
I think it was from the salt build up in the Salt Lake air during the winter months since I had to drive my car up to the lake for awhile.

Okay, that makes sense. I can't imagine using a bra during the winter months in a climate where weather is a major issue. Here in Nevada...it's either warm, hot, or hotter....better for using a bra.
Old 04-26-2005, 06:26 PM
lunartick13

Talking

Every clear bra I've seen looks like crap. They look okay when first put on (but hardly invisible), but they get dull and scratch easily as they age....making the car look cheap and beat. When you a see nice shiny hood and then that dull thing that looks like aged Scotch tape on the front.....

And they work only marginally well....most decent sized rocks will puncture the thing at highway speeds. You can remove them though...along with half the paint. For the same price, you could have your nose repainted at least twice.

I'll admit the vinyl bras aren't exactly beautiful, but you can pop it off anytime for a car that looks showroom new....not one that looks like a partially wrapped UPS package.
I have to disagree, my Clear Bra is 2 yrs. old and still looks like new maybe a lot has got to do as to where you live (like Nevada vs Illinois) and yes I have seen some Clear Bras that looked like a 10 year old put it on. Mine came with a 5 year warranty, but hey that is just my opinion so don`t go on it....
Old 04-26-2005, 11:09 PM
MirZa w da Z

what kinda clear bra u're using , Lunartick ?
Old 04-27-2005, 03:19 AM
BOOFER7
Banned

Im personally still on the fence about getting a nose mask. I hate seeing my nose get sand blasted everyday by the preponderance of SUV's and trucks on the highways, but at the same time, I am leery of getting one. I have had one on a previous car I had. I never really took it off, and it was on there for about a year, and it most definitely clouded the paint. Also alot of what was said earlier is true, especially the parts of it that flap in the breeze against your paint act as a nice paint stripper.

The opinions here seem to be split down the middle tilting towards the negative side. It'll be interesting to see some more opinions.
Old 04-27-2005, 09:28 AM
lunartick13

Originally Posted by MirZa w da Z
what kinda clear bra u're using , Lunartick ?
I`am using the 3-M installed by a local installer who cuts it`s own patterns so I got a pretty good fit and he did an excellent job. Warranty against fading, peeling, discoloration..for 5 years....
Old 04-27-2005, 08:57 PM
ZZtopp

Originally Posted by BOOFER7
Im personally still on the fence about getting a nose mask. I hate seeing my nose get sand blasted everyday by the preponderance of SUV's and trucks on the highways, but at the same time, I am leery of getting one. I have had one on a previous car I had. I never really took it off, and it was on there for about a year, and it most definitely clouded the paint. Also alot of what was said earlier is true, especially the parts of it that flap in the breeze against your paint act as a nice paint stripper.

The opinions here seem to be split down the middle tilting towards the negative side. It'll be interesting to see some more opinions.
I've driven with the Colgan nose mask at over 140 MPH. Absolutely no flapping and it stayed tight as drum. I think you have to use your head a little....putting it on and never taking it off for year is not exactly the smartest thing I've ever heard.

Last edited by ZZtopp; 04-27-2005 at 09:05 PM.
Old 04-27-2005, 09:04 PM
engiNERD350Z

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've driven with the Colgan nose masks at over 140 MPH. Absolutely no flapping and it stayed tight as drum. I think you have to use your head a little....putting it on and never taking it off for year is not exactly the smartest thing I've ever heard.
I agree. For those that have mentioned they've had problems, it was your own fault for being lazy. My Colgan Bra works great. Is it a hassel sometimes? Yes. But if you keep up with it, it does it's job well.